Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Residents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Residents
    Posted: June 09 2005 at 07:56
Alright, many of you may not have heard of The Residents.  They have been around since 1974 and are still creating music today. 

http://www.rzweb.net/  <- visit this website to read about them, check out the story behind each album.

They have influenced a lot, and pioneered electronic music, as well as the music video (creating the first one).  They're mixed media heroes as well.  They're known for being anonymous throughout 30+ years and creating epics and concept albums that are so bizarre and interesting while containing a helluva lotta substance.  They're also known for their eyeball masks.

Now, their music, their music is very experimental, remeniscent of Harry Partch and John Cage, but had a simplistic sensibility to it which anyone can listen to.  They use a LOT of different time signatures, many throughout a whole song.  They have 20 minute or so suite tracks, parts of their electronic rock operas (the album Not Available).  They have concept albums like the Mole Trilogy which are remeniscent of prog (they are prog-influenced), that stretch out through several albums.  Albums like God in 3 Persons tell an entire story with improvisational experimentation and insightful lyrics.  The album the Third Reich 'N Roll takes radio hits and slaps them into bizarre home-made electronics and combines them into side-long medleys in which The Residents destroy and ridicule pop music as we know it.

They're a demanding listen, but nowhere near unlistenable as they have a strong sense of melody, but check them out as much as you can, and if they're not prog, I don't know what is.  It may be a bit hard to find samples of their music.  http://www.gianteyeballs.com/ should contain some samples, but if all else fails, contact me on AIM: mudsharkrollo and I may be able to send you some.

I can definitely provide a bio for them, as well as pictures, and also samples.  I can review each album they have as well.  (And there's a lot...)

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 07:59
Also, their live shows are like Genesis or Queensryche.  They have uniform and a whole setup for the story of the album they're touring with.  It could be Eskimo, the album about the eskimos.  It could be Wormwood: Curious Stories From the Bible (another concept album).  They don't play live often but when they do, they sell out everywhere and work hard for their show.

Edited by projeKct dan
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:21
"Eskimo" is my all time favourite of the Residents, though they made a lot of good ones. Abolutely hilarious is their "Commercial album" with 40 pieces that are all exactly one minute long.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:55
Do you think they should be added BaldFriede?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:07

They should definitely be added under "avantgarde prog".

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:08

No offense, but this is the 3d thread about the Residents in a month or 2.

Not that they don't deserve it

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:19
Well, have you counted the threads about Dream Theater? I wouldn't even dare trying, it might put me out of the believe an infinite number can not be achieved in finite time.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:41

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, have you counted the threads about Dream Theater? I wouldn't even dare trying, it might put me out of the believe an infinite number can not be achieved in finite time.

Hmm, I stopped counting THOSE threads. And reading. Well, that does change my perspective a little, I have to admit.

Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 13:28
I've tried to listen to the Residents, somebody lent me two records, but they didn't sound so good to me...I guess they were not among their best, because I didn't find all those thing you comment... I remember one of them was just versions of Elvis Presley songs... very weird, but poor instrumentation, nothing special... Could somebody please recommend me a few of their recordings?.

And another thing... the Beatles invented the music video, back in the sixties....
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 22:03
Originally posted by Carakhallo Carakhallo wrote:

I've tried to listen to the Residents, somebody lent me two records, but they didn't sound so good to me...I guess they were not among their best, because I didn't find all those thing you comment... I remember one of them was just versions of Elvis Presley songs... very weird, but poor instrumentation, nothing special... Could somebody please recommend me a few of their recordings?.

And another thing... the Beatles invented the music video, back in the sixties....

Ah, you listened to The King & Eye.  And The Residents invented the music video for single songs for sure.  Listen to The Commercial Album or Duck Stab/Buster & Glen.

Edited by projeKct dan
Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 05:09

Thank you, projeKct dan, I will try those records.

But, haven't you seen the video from "Strawberry fields forever"? (The Beatles, 1967)

Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 15:10
I submitted band info and am now submitting songs, let's hope for the best!
laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 22:09
   Didn't they do a song called" f*** you"?  I think it was on my frat house juke box.
SilverSurfer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 22:37
Actually "The Residents" are much better in concert.  There is an air of mystery to the show since you never see the actual members faces.  Definately a progressive band however the music is an acquired taste.

"A mind once stretched by new thoughts can never regain its original shape."   

Albert Einstein

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 22:55
Right you are SilverSurfer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 20:24
Let's convince Max that The Residents should be added!
Rune3000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 15:24

Hey, if Captain Beefheart is on Prog Arc, then The Residents are essential!

Albums like Wormwood and God In Three Persons are nothing less then concept albums!

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2005 at 14:07
Not only are they a progressive band, as well as a sort of "performance art" collective, they have been very influential to a great number of musicians which is rare for avante garde music.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
 Post Reply Post Reply