Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Listen to the music of today / #2 Combat Astronomy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today / #2 Combat Astronomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 17:20

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Thanks are due to Marty, who didn't like the album very much but whose brilliant description of it made me curious. Cheers Marty!  

Thanks. I think that it needs a review from genre fan, to counterweight it a little bit.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 06:50
This album needs more love Cry

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Re: the sample:  very dark, I have to be in right mood to appreciate this one, I think.  But overall I thought it was very good.

Oh, I didn't notice this. Glad you're not asking for your money back! Big smile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 02:03
Cool, first new review!

Earth Divided By Zero
Combat Astronomy RIO/Avant-Prog

Review by zravkapt
Prog Reviewer

3 stars My first taste of Combat Astronomy. This group goes for that 'brutal' sound that some modern avant bands are into. The dominant instrument here is the loud distorted bass. It gets a bit much after awhile; it would have been nice if there was a little more variation. In addition to the bass there is some drums, wordless vocals and wind instruments(saxes, clarinet). There is also some electronics added as well.

The album begins with a female voice that reminds me of Il Balleto di Bronzo's Ys album. "Parallax Of One Arc Second" opens with a nice mix of acoustic piano and electric piano. Then the bass and drums come in and drown that all out. Things get better with the wordless female vocals and the saxes. "Eating Backwards" has a cool title. Starts with some good spacey effects. Some sax skronking at the end. The title track is divided in three parts, the second part being the most interesting. More mellow than the other two parts. The vocals in the third part are pretty good. "The Atrocity Commission" is the longest song. Starts out with a 'brutal' sounding part, and then a long less intense section with winds, piano and effects. Goes back to the 'brutal' part later. Interesting percussion sounds near the end.

Sometimes the music sounds like a slowed down Ruins. The bass and drums are in your face and rarely let anything else breathe. Recommended to those who like the heavier, noisier end of modern avant-prog. A good effort but nothing spectacular. 3 stars.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12