FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArchive organization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archive organization
    Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:05
So, I was wondering how people have their archives set up, primarily looking for digital archives, as I don't really know what to tag the genres as in iTunes, wondering about tips.

And how do you organize your cd/vinyl collection? Alphabeticly, by artist, etc
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:08
I organize my CD collection as following: put the CDs wherever there is space and think about a decent organization later. ^_^

MP3s are organized alphabetically, thank you Steve Jobs!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:12
My CD's are in alphabetical order by bands, with each bands albums placed chronologically, easiest way to find the albums I want to listen to.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Jinura View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:26
I was more thinking about mp3/iTunes wise, about genre categorization 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:38
Alphabetical by artist and then by year.  I've gotten a bit lazy and these days just put things by artist.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 17:22

I put things into two categories.  1) Everything that smells like a dead flower and 2) Everything that doesn't smell like a dead flower.  Just kidding.  Sorry about that "inside joke".  Prog humor.  Go figure!  Wink

But seriously...  Of course, I'm not saying this is the best way - or even a particularly "good" way to organize it, but this is something I've settled into and somehow grown accustomed to...

I tend to put the promos of new prog music for review and airplay into a separate folder based upon the year in which it was received.  I have a separate subfolder for the most recent quarter.  For example:  2009 Q4, 2010 Q1, 2010 Q2, etc.  Once or twice a year, I'll archive albums received more than 12 months ago into a general promo folder alphabetically.

As I listen to albums by new artists (by new I mean that I am not familiar with them so they are 'new' to me), , I classify them according to style such as "metal" or "fusion", etc.

Listeners are usually most interested in the newer releases so I'll weight my show playlists more heavily with music from the most recent quarter, followed by music released within the previous 12 months.  (Then I'll self-indulgently play any other songs I just feel like hearing!)

The music I buy from eMusic defaults to the eMusic folder on my desktop and so far I've been too lazy to bother moving it elsewhere.  If I purchase any mp3's from Amazon, I'll usually move them wherever I think makes sense close to my desktop.

I have 16 gigs on my mp3 player - and I listen to music more on my mp3 player than on my PC.  I just put all the music on the hard drive and it organizes them by artist name, band name, album name.  That is nice.  Zero effort - lots of organization!

I try to avoid buying CD's these days.  It is so much more convenient to buy mp3's rather than getting a CD I have to rip.  (When did I become so lazy?)  I actually buy more LP's at used record stores than CD's!

Edited by progpositivity - November 08 2010 at 17:30
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 17:33
Just a quick clarification, our Music Director has a much more detailed organization scheme for the stations Library of music.  I was just talking about the more haphazard approach on my own personal computer's hard drive. 
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 17:43
Having a very large Vinyl collection there put in Genres, jazz, folk, Prog , kraut ,  Rock,  etc etc etc My wife is amazed that i know exactly  where every single Lp  is .  I Have been doing this for many a year now become quite the expert. 

I also have a hard drive full music which are in no order what was ever. My CD collection is in Genres to.
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 18:14
Well, I organize my prog through the Prog Archives sub-genres (Symphonic, Eclectic etc) (Except for some which I haven't got around to sorting) but everything apart from Prog I'll organize into more general genres (since I have less) so like "Hard Rock", "Heavy Metal", "Thrash Metal", "Jazz" etc.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 18:44
I can't really be bothered with genres.  If my CD ripping software comes up with a plausible genre I'll stick with it, otherwise I'm afraid that rock music (in its most general sense) gets classified as rock, and most other stuff fits into classical or jazz.  I tend to be more worried primarily about the quality of the rip and then the accuracy of the album name, artist, and track titles.
Bob
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 19:01
Originally posted by Jinura Jinura wrote:

So, I was wondering how people have their archives set up, primarily looking for digital archives, as I don't really know what to tag the genres as in iTunes, wondering about tips.

And how do you organize your cd/vinyl collection? Alphabeticly, by artist, etc

Steve Jobs wouldn't know a song from a symphony!

And his iTunes doesn't either!

Alphabetical by artist and in a chronological order within that, so the artist's lifetime of work can show us a sort of conclusion as to how things changed and so on. Make the "internet libraries" look like the crap they are, by being more complete and thorough. Ignore "genres" since they are arbitrary and have no meaning whatsoever, as the definitions are not good enough to make any sense at all ... it's just someone's idea of an idea, and has nothing to do with the music, specially when all it takes is a guitar special effect to make it such and such ... which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! ... but it makes it this or that!

More importantly, is that the Archives we have are not complete, and the listings are not in one piece, and the fact that only one album gets reviewed and the rest ignored ... shows you the amount of care we have for "an artist" ... we don't, because the archive itself is not about an artist and his/her work.

Define first, what you really want to do ... because otherwise what I said, or anyone else here, is going to waste ... you won't use it anyway!

If we're talking about the forum archives, I would say kill the threads after so many posts or pages ... it's really bizarre that you have some on the italian prog at 200 and some pages and you actually think that anyone can read all that? No one does! ... and in my case ... I'm not even touching that thread! It does state that there is some popularity in that area, but also tells you that it is much easier to deal spam the thread thatn actually write on it. Check it out ... a good one third of it is just spam and not anything that adds to the thread. ... and you want to save that crap? Go ahead, waste your hard drive space!

My record/music collection has 4 parts:

American
English/Britannia
International Music.
Classical and Soundtracks and other

I separate the stuff for simplicity's sakes not any other reason. My English/Brittish section alone is over 40% of my whole collection, which is one of the reasons why it is on its own.

Edited by moshkito - November 08 2010 at 19:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 20:43
I don't use iTunes (Am I weird or what?) but prefer the windows media player, since I owe a Zune. It allows me to have a folder for each band, and I organize each band folder by date, from older to newest. Same thing for my CDs.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 20:46
If you only have electronics and not hard copies, does it really matter? Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 20:50
Originally posted by ProgBob ProgBob wrote:

I can't really be bothered with genres.  If my CD ripping software comes up with a plausible genre I'll stick with it, otherwise I'm afraid that rock music (in its most general sense) gets classified as rock, and most other stuff fits into classical or jazz.  I tend to be more worried primarily about the quality of the rip and then the accuracy of the album name, artist, and track titles.

Exactly this.

And this guy's avatar rules.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 21:10
I will use prog archives genres when I bother.  I mean, why the hell not?  I rarely bother though.  The music is what matters most.  Sticking it into categories is useless for me because I just really don't care.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 22:40
For the IPod, I organize them naming the song first with the artists name, then the year in which the song was released, then the number which that song had within the album in which it was released (if the artist released more than one album on that year, then I first put the number of the album according to the order in which they were released, and then the number of the song), and then the name of the song. ITunes does the job of organizing those names alfabetically, ofcourse. And then, ofcourse I create the playing lists in order to find each song more easily and listening to them in the order I might want to.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 02:11
I just counted 'my collection'and I concluded that I now have 325 vinyl records. I've sorted them in the following order

1. Psychedelic/Space/Kraut (bands like Pink Floyd, Can, Grobschnitt, Eloy, Guru Guru, Hawkwind)

2. (progressive) Folk (bands like Jethro, Comus, Jan-Dukes de Grey, Irolt, Hoenderlin)

3. Symphonic Prog   (Focus, Genesis, Yes, ELP.. you know)

3b. Italian Prog (Osanna, PFM, Semiramis, etc.)

4. Prog Prog (the hard-core prog)   (King Crimson, Gentle Giant, VdGG, Magma and new is SBB)

5. Canterbury (Gong, Soft Machine, etc.)

6. Crossover/Related (The Doors, Procol Harum, Moodies etc)

8. Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden is one of my favorite bands currently and I've been listening to it for ten years now. I'm almost 22 years old)

7. Fusion (Hancock, Weather Report, Return to Forever, Jan Akkerman, etc.)

8. Neo-prog + electronic (Marillion, Tangerine Dream, etc.)

9. Rock (Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster, Cuby and the Blizzards RECOMMENDED, etc.)

10. Metal (good & ugly) (Led Zeppelin, Saxon, Sabbath, etc.)

11. Dutch cabaret (not counted as part of the rock collection)(Wim Sonneveld, Toon Hermans, Nederlands Hoop in Bange Dagen)

Edited by friso - November 09 2010 at 02:13
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 03:27
i download all of them because i can't get them anywhere and they dont deliver them to iran

so its it's arranged by name on my external hard
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 04:33
Mp3's alphabetically by artist.

CD's, vinyls and cassettes in an intuitive order vaguely based on genre, style, era, nationality etc.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 06:42
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

i download all of them because i can't get them anywhere and they dont deliver them to iran

so its it's arranged by name on my external hard

We promise not to alert the authorities in your country.  Keep on proggin'!

So even though you may not be able to get it by mail or in stores it's great to hear you will not be deterred. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 09 2010 at 06:44

Post Reply Post Reply