FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKarn Evil 9 2nd impression synth patch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karn Evil 9 2nd impression synth patch
    Posted: November 09 2010 at 05:41
I am at the moment trying to make a patch in the GForce Minimonsta for the Modular Moog part that keith plays a couple of minutes into Karn Evil 2nd impression.

So far i've gotten closest with a high cutoff, no resonance and very fast attack but it still isn't sound very right i'm using a saw and sawtooth wave.

Anyone who has made this patch in any synth before please any tips and help would be very much appreciated.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 23:20
What moment of Karn Evil exactly are we talking about? Could you point out some YouTube video?

topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 08:21
the jam section just before the slow atmospheric part in the middle starting at around 1:10 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkSnfBNzT0
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 08:29
It's the "steel drums" bit, no?

Well it has to be, there is no other synth on there. 

Edited by Snow Dog - November 22 2010 at 08:30
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 08:50
Yes - that sound was not made by Moog Modular synth.

It's a saturated steel drum sound (slightly overdriven in live version). Similar sounds could be achieved using phase modulation, frequency modulation, wavetable or granular synthesis. But sampling is probably the best bet. It's really difficult, almost impossible to achieve it with subtractive synthesis of vintage synthesizers (or on its modern software counterparts). The only trick that can work is careful applying of Ring Modulator effect to a stuck of carefully tuned oscillators. But if you manage to get that sound, you're genius. Personaly, I would go with sample which could be further processed through filters and amplifiers.

The other option is getting the real steel drums, and mounting a pick-up on them.Smile
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 09:39
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Yes - that sound was not made by Moog Modular synth.

It's a saturated steel drum sound (slightly overdriven in live version). Similar sounds could be achieved using phase modulation, frequency modulation, wavetable or granular synthesis. But sampling is probably the best bet. It's really difficult, almost impossible to achieve it with subtractive synthesis of vintage synthesizers (or on its modern software counterparts). The only trick that can work is careful applying of Ring Modulator effect to a stuck of carefully tuned oscillators. But if you manage to get that sound, you're genius. Personaly, I would go with sample which could be further processed through filters and amplifiers.

The other option is getting the real steel drums, and mounting a pick-up on them.Smile

Yes there is a preset for it in the Minimonsta plugin i am using but i prefer to make sounds myself rather than use presets i have tried working backwards from the steel drum preset which has yielded some results in making it myself hopefully some time i make a realistic enough version 
 Post Reply Post Reply