FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIdeas for Concept Albums That Ought to Exist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for Concept Albums That Ought to Exist
    Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:26
Hey peoples. I'm kind of more interested in concept albums regardless of genre than in prog specifically, though there is non-conceptual prog that I also enjoy listening to sometimes. Or maybe it isn't quite prog. Who knows? Seems like everybody's got their own definitions.

Well anyway I'm working on a list of concept albums ordered by subject (still needs much expansion) and it's occurred to me that there's a rich field of untapped source material for people to carry on making great concept albums about great subjects which have, to the best of my knowledge, never been done. I was thinking it would be fun to make up ideas for concept albums that don't exist, but ought to. So here's some ideas. I may go on to make some of these myself someday but if you want to try, awesome - go do it. :)

OK so here are some ideas:

A multi-genred album about the book Flatland; A Romance of Many Dimensions, an 1884 novel about people who live in a 2-dimensional world that could have a track listing something like this:

1. Trial Opening - The circles begin prosecution of Mr. A. Square for his heresy
2. Edge of the Table (Part 1) - A song about Mr. A. Square's perspective. Living in a two dimensional world, lyrics would go something like: "The edge of the table, that's all I can see, the edge of the table, but I long to be free" or somesuch.
3. Triangle Trigger - Rap song about the hard life of a triangle in Flatland, how triangles are the urban lower class and therefore would listen to rap music.
4. A Fine Line of Ladies - Ladies are lines in Flatland, men are shapes. This would be a song sung by a chorus of ladies about how prim and proper they are and how they always hide behind their husbands. Flatland is a critique or parody of Victorian society.
5. The Lineland Kings Barbershop Quartet - Barbershop song about Mr. A Square's dream about the 1-dimensional world of Lineland
6-n. (more songs in here about the color war and Mr. Square's discovery of the third dimension and trying to explain it to others and so forth)
n. Edge of the Table (Part 2) - Reprise of the earlier track in which Mr. A. Square's questioning ignorance about the third dimension is replaced with knowledge and how no matter how the Circles try to punish him, he is free regardless of what prison cell they construct for him because real freedom is knowing the truth. As George Orwell's characters would say, "Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4"

So there's one idea. Another one I've had lately is to make a concept album based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." Even though I am not personally an Objectivist, the story is so incredible that it deserves to have somebody like Rush do a concept album about it. But I don't think I'll ever produce it, so I'm just throwing the idea out there for anyone to grab and run with.

Here is a prospective track listing:

The album title would be either "Who is John Gault" or "Millionaires on Strike"

Part I: Non-Contradiction
     01. Who Will Do More Honour
     02. Your Days Are Numbered
     03. The John Gault Line
     04. Wyatt’s Torch
Part II: Either-Or
     05. Check Your Premises
     06. The Moratorium On Brains
     07. Death Train (alternatively titled "DEEAATTHH TRAAAIINN!!!!!!!")
     08. The Sign of the Dollar
Part III: A is A
     09. Halley’s Fifth
     10. Their Brother’s Keeper
     11. Millionaires on Strike
     12. The Lights Go Out
Hidden Track: “Halley’s Fifth (Mangled Project X Remix)”

Anybody else had any cool ideas for concept albums?

Edited by Nerd42 - October 19 2011 at 22:38
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:32
Ooh how about one about a big important idea with some difficult vocabulary words in the titles and there's this guy who goes through this really big important but never quite clarified transformation and the ending's really vague.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:35
^ You still on about Tommy?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:36
I think that's every concept album ever actually.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:39
LOL
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 16:55
My concept album.  Hm.

There would be an incredibly intimate, human conflict occurring, a desperate test of marriage and friendship and love that would span the conscious and unconscious mind of a man injured in an accident.  Various specters from his past would inhabit the narrative galleries, including the malicious shade of a wicked father.  Ultimately the injured man transcends the frailties of jealousy and anger and awakens to a revitalized world, his soul purged of impurities and healed of decades-old wounds.

And then the listener will be informed that the entire scenario was a dream simulated by a machine, thus robbing the narrative of all its power and subtlety.

Sorry, Mr. Lucassen.  Didn't mean to step on your toes.Wink
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Nightshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 17:00
A concept album about how concept albums never get done right.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 17:02
I actually did try making a concept album called Killer Towers and it was extremely vile in content so I'm not that sure about describing the detail but the basic premise was that I wake up one morning to find myself living in an apartment building populated by history's worst serial killers.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:02
Hi,

Damn!

I thought I was nutz!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:38
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I actually did try making a concept album called Killer Towers and it was extremely vile in content so I'm not that sure about describing the detail but the basic premise was that I wake up one morning to find myself living in an apartment building populated by history's worst serial killers.

Just the worst?  No one gives second-fiddle serial killers a break.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:39
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Just the worst?  No one gives second-fiddle serial killers a break.
LOL.

I don't think that "vague personal transformation" stereotype covers every concept album. In fact I think that's a small fraction of the ones I've heard. Look at the Alan Parsons Project or Electric Light Orchestra - none of their stuff is like that.

Edited by Nerd42 - November 09 2010 at 19:42
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:42

Actually the ones we know about are the second-fiddle ones.

As with all crime, murders greatest practitioners are not famous because they got away with it.
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 19:43

Actually the ones we know about are the second-fiddle ones.

As with all crime, murders greatest practitioners are not famous because they got away with it.
Kind of like peer-to-peer file sharing in that regard LOL :)
m2thek View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 00:15

An album of seven songs detailing Harry Potter's story

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 01:14
Surely you mean seven album length songs.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 07:08
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Write_a_Progressive_Rock_Song

The Concept Method

This method only works if you’ve decided to write a concept album, and so for our purposes will not be discussed in-depth. For the “Concept Method,” pick one episode that fits into a larger story (the “concept” of your album) and write about it. If you don't have enough material for the whole album, just append "part one" to the name of the song. You can record "part two" as a complete album decades later when you become famous.

LOL

Edited by Paravion - November 10 2010 at 07:12
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 08:47
How about a REALITY album, where people do normal boring things like get up in the morning, eat, defecate, diet, read the newspapers, go to their drudge filled work, watch TV, bemoan their terrible relationships and seek solace in the escapism afforded by erm... Progressive Rock concept albums?

Nah, commercial suicide ain't it? Wink
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 09:07
Trouserpress idealized the greatest prog-rock concept album a couple of years ago. It's somewhere here in the fora (can't be bothered to look for it now).
Bigger on the inside.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 09:37
A progressive album on a subject about trains. Pulsar released an 80's album with a front cover shot of a speed line train in Europe. Not sure if it's been done before? The story could revolve around something else. Trains just coincide with it. It could have a re-occuring theme throughout the album......though falling between longer extensive epic type prog pieces. Some with vocal, some instrumental. The repeating themes are short. averaging between 3 and 4 minutes and sometimes performed by a string quartet only.

A prog release on the subject of witchcraft without cornball substance. Something a bit more mysterious and errie at times however, not falling into a catagory like Jacula. Nothing too extreme and leaving the listener mystified and curious.

A concept album about Gnostics would be interesting.

Short stories from Herrmann Hesse. Instrumental music written around concepts deriving from his short stories. "The Field Devil" comes to mind.

I was wondering, are there bands who have recorded concept albums like these? If so, please tell me about them?  
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 10:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

How about a REALITY album, where people do normal boring things like get up in the morning, eat, defecate, diet, read the newspapers, go to their drudge filled work, watch TV, bemoan their terrible relationships and seek solace in the escapism afforded by erm... Progressive Rock concept albums?Nah, commercial suicide ain't it? Wink
The theme of an average day was explored in "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues (1967) and it was excellent. And we could do without some of these senseless negative sarcastic comments.

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

A progressive album on a subject about trains. Pulsar released an 80's album with a front cover shot of a speed line train in Europe. Not sure if it's been done before? The story could revolve around something else. Trains just coincide with it. It could have a re-occuring theme throughout the album......though falling between longer extensive epic type prog pieces. Some with vocal, some instrumental. The repeating themes are short. averaging between 3 and 4 minutes and sometimes performed by a string quartet only.
Yeah that would be cool. I suggested one in the first post themed after "Atlas Shrugged" which focuses on trains quite a bit as the main character in the novel is a railroad executive. Eric Woolfson's "Poe; More Tales of Mystery and Imagination" has a song about trains called "Train to Freedom."

Edited by Nerd42 - November 10 2010 at 10:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>