Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIdeas for Concept Albums That Ought to Exist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:26
A triple LP (the quintessential essential format) about fire in which fire is alive (it can begin with a tiny spark which grows and grows, it requires oxygen to exist, it's warm 'blooded', it moves about, it consumes things, it reproduces, and so on) and is sentient - it used to rule the world many millions of years ago, and it invented sun worship.
Many biblical stories and ideas originated in the fire religion - the burning bush, the pillar of flame, the great flood, Ezekiel's wheel, baptism of fire, the burnt offering, the fires of Hell, and so on.  
Now it's mostly gone underground, occasionally exploding out of volcanoes or eating forests.  Fire likes chemical intoxication, best expressed in a firework display, and it works hard in furnaces, crematoriums, and driving steam trains.  Fire has been reduced to slavery, a performing animal, tamed and controlled.  It dreams of ripping the whole world to pieces.

I think I might have a go at actually writing this one Big smile
rotten hound of the burnie crew
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:30
Six Degrees of Oppression - Poverty, racism, sexism, homophobia, religion and conformity - revolving around the life of and ending with the suicide of a poor, first nations transgender atheist with eccentric fashion sense. My description sounds a little flippant but I think it could be a huge social commentary.  The challenge would be creating a compelling narrative that is not 'textbook.'
More heavy prog, please!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:38
The trials and tribulations of Charlie Sheen set to music by the joint venture of The Residents and The Flower Kings.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:42
Oh and before Demetrio Stratos left us at far too young of an age, I would've loved to see him performing Elvis' repertoire with AREA - making it into a full concept about the American Dream, Doo Wop, fast girls and hamburgers. The latter part of his songs - the so called operatic side of Elvis would be a perfect offset for Stratos' more theatrical talents.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:45
^
^^ That's 2/2 for good ideas today, David. Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:50
Thanks. I've got plenty more where they came from. 
Neil Morse doing a Satanic concept album with Danzig and ELP would be pretty funny.

- Douglas Adams
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 23:30
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Six Degrees of Oppression - Poverty, racism, sexism, homophobia, religion and conformity - revolving around the life of and ending with the suicide of a poor, first nations transgender atheist with eccentric fashion sense. My description sounds a little flippant but I think it could be a huge social commentary.  The challenge would be creating a compelling narrative that is not 'textbook.'
Didn't Kevin Gilbert already do that with The Shaming of the True?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 05:50
I'm thinking about a concept album from a loose project of comics I had a few years ago: the story of a saxophonist woman confronted to unemployment, leaving her band, disappearing of the scene, just because she has to find a "true job" and to face social pressure, lack of recognition, everyday duty... while her male counterparts go on the roads without questioning further the place of women in the musical industry.

Another idea: the world seen by a Korgi dog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 05:54
The first one has been done;-)

- Douglas Adams
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:29
an epic internet drama -

although that might be better suited for opera

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:34
^Not a problem, I got a lot of plenty dubious and stupid concepts :
 - the war between beer drinkers and wine drinkers (they all end drunk, singing obscene songs about each others' mothers);
 - how a hamster goes through the cycle of reincarnations and becomes an angel;
 - Hell seen as a lounge populated by pretentious pseudo art amateurs whose speeches are nothing but name-dropping, misattributed witty quotations, and discuting Australian wine vs. Croatian wine.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:57
The war between beer and wine drinkers is a winnerThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:33
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

A triple LP (the quintessential essential format) about fire in which fire is alive (it can begin with a tiny spark which grows and grows, it requires oxygen to exist, it's warm 'blooded', it moves about, it consumes things, it reproduces, and so on) and is sentient - it used to rule the world many millions of years ago, and it invented sun worship.
Many biblical stories and ideas originated in the fire religion - the burning bush, the pillar of flame, the great flood, Ezekiel's wheel, baptism of fire, the burnt offering, the fires of Hell, and so on.  
Now it's mostly gone underground, occasionally exploding out of volcanoes or eating forests.  Fire likes chemical intoxication, best expressed in a firework display, and it works hard in furnaces, crematoriums, and driving steam trains.  Fire has been reduced to slavery, a performing animal, tamed and controlled.  It dreams of ripping the whole world to pieces.

I think I might have a go at actually writing this one Big smile

Sounds like the kind of thing Arthur Brown started trying to write on that debut, but took a trip too many and ended up doing awesome psychedelic soul covers for side 2 Tongue
Tyler2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:01
This is an album that I am writing and beginning to put music to, and would really appreciate feedback. The music is mainly acoustic and a lot of styles combing Johnny Cash and Jimmy Buffet.

My idea is called " Elusive Daydream"  and is about a young man who lives in an old, run down, and cold northern town in Pennsylvania.  The boy hates the town and his only dream is to leave the northern town and move down south and settle on a beach somewhere in Florida, and then to travel the world. After talking to a man who has done the same thing and now spends his life sailing around the world, the boy becomes inspired and leaves home to live his dream. After getting down there, the boy realizes that he is in love with his new home and travels the world.

The track list I have so far is:

Anthem- A song talking about his current town, a cold, run down, old mining city that is in a depression
wanderlust- A song describing his dreams of moving south, and the fears he has if he stays in Pennsylvania 
Solitary Man- The boy meets a man at a funeral who tells him of how he left for the south years ago, and how it is the greatest choice he ever made
The voyager- The boy leaves home and decides to fulfill his dream by driving south
Crossroads- Halfway through his drive down, and almost out of money and gas, the boy realizes that he can not make it all the way down to Florida, and debates continuing his trip, or returning home
Permanet waves- Deciding to make it down to Florida, the boy is finally there and this song describes the first things that he see's and feels reaching his new home
Elusive paradise- Finally making it down to Key West Florida and gaining a new home, describes how the boy loves his new home and the things to do.
Anthem reprise- The same as the opening track, but the boy is content and became a captains mate, allowing him to sail the seas and the globe, operating out of Florida
Greetings from a postcard- Missing his friends and family, but not wanting to return home, the boy sends them a postcard from every new place and country that he visits
A farewell- The boy, now an old man after years of traveling tells the listeners to live their life to the fullest and do everything they dream to do like he did, and to never give up until your content, while he dies sitting on a beach viewing the sunset
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:09
A single album 20 short songs all from the perspective of people during a nuclear blast.
Including wrecked submarine banging on pipes as well as kitchen sick musicality.
Tyler2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:28
Holy f**k that's such a good idea 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 11:42
Originally posted by Tyler2112 Tyler2112 wrote:

Holy f**k that's such a good idea 

I had it around for ages, if only I wasn't a massive prick to play with and was better than I am at the Bass! We could of had it!
If anyone wants to take that one. By all means! But I would like to write for it as well thank you.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 12:57
The discarded data of an audio compression format that actually turns out to be the soul of the song joins up with other discarded song souls to kill all the human plebes who don't use lossless formats.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 14:03
Tales from Pancreatic Motions.

Yes are playing Delhi on the TFTO tour. The first three sides of the double vinyl recount the hectic adventures of our hero Vikram, a young curry delivery driver, as he navigates the worst urban traffic in the world on his trusty moped. His desperate mission: to deliver a dish of highly spiced chicken to his idol Rick Wakeman at the stadium in time for him to eat it on stage during that guitar and percussion bit. The final side is narrated from the perspective of Rick's intestines as they do battle with the curry and includes a ten minute baritone sax solo by Peter Brotzmann.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 20 2017 at 14:04
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 14:21
A musical adaptation of any number of episodes of The Golden Girls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>