FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIdeas for Concept Albums That Ought to Exist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:38
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

I know we joke about Magma but I really would like to hear a progger do a Klingon rock opera - in Klingon!

Let it actually tell about any episode from the vast archives of Star Trek from the Klingon point of view. 

Who should put this together?  Arjen L!  Of course!!!

Smile

LOL Neat idea that just needs a working title - The Ring Spin Cycle, The Beggars Belief Opera etc

BTW They were named after Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan, who served with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry in the LA Police Department (Did Wilbur have a corrugated forehead?)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:43
You know, the one where this guy does this thing and stuff happens...Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

LandofLein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 02:19
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by John Zorn

Edited by LandofLein - November 13 2010 at 02:22
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 03:12
Not long ago in a similar thread I posted this (very long, sorry) idea for a concept album based on prog rock itself. Sorry for repeating but given that the subject comes back, here it goes again.

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Just for the fun of it, let me expand on the idea of a prog-rock-opera based on prog itself.

Our story would have 3 main characters: a Father and his Son (read equivalently as Mother / Daughter, no sexism intended) and the father’s best Friend during their teen years. The Father is born around 1953 so as a young teen he experiences first hand the birth of prog.

Assuming that a double album has a structure of “4 sides” as in the old vinyl double albums, the storyboard could be something like below.

The music should be original (not simply clone fragments of the different prog styles in history) but at each point in the story it should somehow cleverly integrate distinctive elements which would evoque the era being represented.

1st Half of Side 1: The Birth of Prog.

Our main characters Father and Friend enjoy their early teens as best mates, following up closely the morphing of pop and jazz into prog, of which they become huge fans. The music recreates this period, integrating some psychedelic and proto-prog elements, gradually becoming more perfected and complex.

2nd Half of Side 1 + 1st Half of Side 2:  The Rise and Peak of Prog

The Father and his Friend grow up immersed in the prog atmosphere of the early 70’s, the feeling is euphoric and they decide to form together a business distributing and selling prog records and promoting tours and gigs of prog bands. They have great success and make good money, but at the same time they are taking some risks with significant investments.

The music obviously recreates the golden years of complex and bombastic prog, with elements reminiscent of Genesis, Yes, ELP, VDGG, GG etc.

2nd Half of Side 2:  The Fall

At this stage of the story (mid 70’s), the Friend is approached by some mass media magnates without scruples who tempt him to switch to the easy money of commercial pop. The Friend finally succumbs to the temptation and betrays his best friend (our Father), taking all the money from their business and escaping to work as producer for cheap punk, pop and disco “stars for one day” (every story needs a bad guy, right? Wink ). Our Father is left in bankrupcy and total misery (just as some of our beloved bands), but he still follows up faithfully the last flutters of prog (the “pop-tized” prog of the late 70’s).

The music here would include some references to the pop-punk-disco and the AOR-tized prog, but would convey a dark, sad, dying feeling. 

Side 3:  The Underground Survival (from the 80’s until now)

Our Father is poor in extreme after all the debts left by his traitor Friend, but he tries to survive with a hopeful and positive mentality, he gets married and around 1995 he has his Son (who will eventually become our hero and savior of prog).

During these years prog does quite the same, trying to survive in difficult times thanks to a faithful and hopeful underground bunch of followers. It’s the years of Neo, the birth of Prog-Metal and the more diverse variations of the 00’s decade prog, and the music obviously recollects elements evoquing all of these.

The Father puts his Son from very young to study music, providing him with classical training and he also teaches him all the good prog which has been his passion for all his life. As it happens, the boy turns out to be a musical genius, a wonderboy (a sort of modern Mozart), and soon masters the secrets of good music and learns to play a large array of instruments. Under the guidance of his Father he discovers all the good prog of the past and present and becomes himself a fan. And as with many kids of our times, he happens to be also very skillful with computers, a young brilliant hacker…

Side 4:  The Rebellion and the Resurrection

Our Son is a young man and starts to write the most beautiful music humans have even produced. It has the best of all worlds, the delicacy and richness of the best classical music, the energy of the best rock, the sophistication of the best eclectic and avant… it’s a new kind of prog, the music for the future, but the music business world and its factual powers are not happy with it, they turn him down everytime he tries to disclose his music, they are scared of losing the fountain of easy money which the 21st century pop-dance music has become. Our Son suffers a shameless boycott.

Undefeated, our Son uses his hacker skills to infect every computer on Earth with a very special virus: everytime the user tries to use his computer, the machine will show him one of several things: some of the best songs or fragments of prog history, some message evidencing how manipulated the public is by the mass media oligarchs (of which the Friend has become one of them, of course), and also some of his new beautiful music which is being banned by those oligarchs without scruples.

The human society finally realises that they are being manipulated and rebels against the mass media, on a worldwide scale thanks to the power of the internet. The new prog music flourishes again and reaches everybody’s soul, our Son becomes a hero and the most praised musician on Earth. It’s a new Renaissance, a new Enlightenment era, not only for music but for all of human culture.

Now, this last 4th side is about a prog era which does not exist yet, so the music would have to be innovative and brilliant, just as the story suggests...  

As to what happens to the traitor Friend, the album would end enigmatically leaving the listener to make his own interpretation. Did he repent from having betrayed his friend the Father and become the biggest supporter of the Son?  did he sink down in mysery, punished for his egoism? did he commit suicide?

Elderflower Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The Meal

1. Soup Of The Day
2. Wine Interlude 1
3. Fish Course
4. Wine Interlude 2
5. Main! Part 1
6. Wine Interlude 3 - 7
7. Main! Part 2
8. A Visit To The Gents Part 1
9. Lost In A Corridor
10. Where's My Table?
11. Brandy Please!
12. A Visit To The Gents Part 2
13. Where Am I Again?
14. Sticky Toffee Pudding (including Sorry mate I Di'n see you's there)
15. Homeward Bound!
16. Epilogue: Can You Breathe In here, Sir?

I would buy this album on impulse if I saw it in a shop.
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Damn!

I thought I was nutz!

Shortest Moshkito post ever! Wink

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:35
How about something Philosophical? like a story that revolves around Plato's cave, or a massive big Cosmological adventure.... I'm thinking there should be a main character who is torn between reality and the upper-land/heaven/whatever. But modernise it (Matrix style) and have other characters who represent different critiques and theologians.

If only it made sense it would be epic.

Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:12
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

How about something Philosophical? like a story that revolves around Plato's cave, or a massive big Cosmological adventure.... I'm thinking there should be a main character who is torn between reality and the upper-land/heaven/whatever. But modernise it (Matrix style) and have other characters who represent different critiques and theologians.

I was thinking about suggesting one about the trial and death of Socrates but I dunno how that would work musically :)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 12:29
Originally posted by Nerd42 Nerd42 wrote:

Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I was thinking about suggesting one about the trial and death of Socrates but I dunno how that would work musically :)

You write it and I'll put it to music!

We could really go to town on that: I'm thinking a double album; but the whole story told in retrospect by Plato (who would invariably add lots of drama). Theatrical stage shows, a full orchestra, and 1000 extras in togas. And of course, we'd have to call it.......

My Big Fat Greek Hearing!

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:43
Are you a prog artist? 
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 18:32
He's being silly I think. But I wasn't. I seriously think Socrates would be a great subject for a solid album.

Several people on this thread seem to have a presupposition that concept albums are supposed to concern main characters with Messianic delusions who go through vague transformations like Tommy and The Wall. While I do like both of those albums, the many mediocre attempts at emulating their success suck as I think we all know.

No, I was more thinking of a "concept album" as being the sort of thing that the Alan Parsons Project did, where all the songs explore part of a serious, specific and thought-provoking overarching theme and are meant to be heard in order. They need not have a specific story progression or narrative as such, but ought to relate to one another and share a common theme or subject. A prime example of this kind of concept album would be Alan Parsons "On Air" which I suggest everybody listen to, it's without par.

Edited by Nerd42 - November 15 2010 at 18:35
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 20:03
On the 20 sub genres of progarchives with a track done in each style of prog. It might be a double disc.
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 00:17
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

On the 20 sub genres of progarchives with a track done in each style of prog. It might be a double disc.
Is there a handy-dandy list of those with descriptions anyplace? :)
nancygale12 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 05:43
Quote Just the worst?  No one gives second-fiddle serial killers a break.
Clap

Strategic Process Management

Edited by nancygale12 - November 18 2010 at 05:51
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 05:58
How about an album about nice, happy people being happy and nice to each other.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 06:26
Something like "Be happy with what you have to be happy with" ?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by Elderflower Man Elderflower Man wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The Meal

1. Soup Of The Day
2. Wine Interlude 1
3. Fish Course
4. Wine Interlude 2
5. Main! Part 1
6. Wine Interlude 3 - 7
7. Main! Part 2
8. A Visit To The Gents Part 1
9. Lost In A Corridor
10. Where's My Table?
11. Brandy Please!
12. A Visit To The Gents Part 2
13. Where Am I Again?
14. Sticky Toffee Pudding (including Sorry mate I Di'n see you's there)
15. Homeward Bound!
16. Epilogue: Can You Breathe In here, Sir?

I would buy this album on impulse if I saw it in a shop.

Thanks.LOL
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 15:28

How about a concept album about People that are really into Prog Rock!   Some possible titles for songs:

·         Why does everyone hate my music?

·         The Ballad of Roger and David

·         I Hate the Critics and the Critics Hate Me!

·         Am I as smart as I really think I am?

·         Can’t seem to get laid!

·         U.K vs USA

·         Only 4 months until the next TransAtlantic CD   (title for the song, not reality)

samdelrussi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 18:46
  I would love to see someone do a concept album based on MY cosmic paintings all of which deal with the latest ''Multiverse'' and ''String'' theories.[It seems only fair since  so much of my work is inspired by Prog,why not the other way around for once?]
     But then,that's just me.
Sam Del Russi
Nerd42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 15:50
Someone should do a concept album about The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>