Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [30.99%]
46 [64.79%]
3 [4.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalterDigsTunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:34
Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.

The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dedokras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:53
Walter, your posts are such fun to read, even if I don't usually agree they always make me smile Clap
http://mlyk.bandcamp.com/
alanight View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 12:30
Actually, Radiohead is far away from any band. In this site or not.
LateralMe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateralMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:11
I don't consider either of them to be Prog, but I'm going to go with NIN.
A Flower!?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"Hurt" is about the only song I remember the name of.  Some of what I heard was very crude, and I recall one very tasteless video.  Unless I hear music a lot or have albums, I rarely remember titles.  I didn't like the vocals, or those with coarser lyrics, so instrumentals would be safer (if you can name  a couple particularly, you think, good ones, then I'll try find if it's streaming somewhere since I'm not about to buy any NIN albums).

Some of the best NIN songs: Hurt (but you've heard it and don't like it.)  This version is pretty cool.  Credit to Dean for turning me on to it:

Granted, Trent does overuse profanity. LOL  Cash stripped it out for his version and I've read that Reznor started doing it Cash style, lyrically.

Other good ones which back up NIN's inclusion on this site:
Pinion
Last
A Warm Place
The Downward Spiral
La Mer
The Great Below
The Perfect Drug

Head Like a Hole
Sunspots
Right Where It Belongs
In This Twilight
Zero-Sum

I'm a big fan of Radiohead, too.

And oh yes, I have a collection of their videos.  Absolutely tasteless, but I still like them.

I've heard the Cash version before.  I like that. The other one you linked to, not what I was hoping for (far too vocals-oriented and I don't generally care for distorted, vocoder type vocal effects, though it worked well on 21st Century Schizoid Man, but it's trick that I think has been much overused. If I warm up to various instrumentals, then I may be ready for other music.  I checked "Pinion", instrumental, but not my taste. Find it too heavily unpleasant.  Nine Inch Nails does exotica would suit me better. LOL

I guess I saw a few videos that I found rather repulsive. One I seem to remember was a combo of homo-erotic and sadism or masochism -- hmm, a bondage type video. Leather and pain.

It may be about the crudest/ foul mouthed act I've come across in PA other than Tool which can be really disgusting (sure there are plenty of crude ones in Tech/Extreme).  I must admit to being prudish.

Originally posted by adace1 adace1 wrote:

^I'd recommend The Mark Has Been Made, Corona Radiata (best ambient piece I've ever heard), A Warm Place, and 28 Ghosts IV. Actually, the entire "Ghosts" album is instrumental but I think the best ones are the ones I just listed.

Well recommended.  I enjoyed those; thanks very much (they are on youtube). I particularly enjoyed "Corona Radiata" (I like ambient) and "Ghosts IV".  I might just get Ghosts.

Edited by Logan - November 12 2010 at 15:26
adace1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adace1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:59
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.

The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.

If you have a bias against modern music as you said before, then why post here?

Also: RE Snobb's post: NIN is listed on this website as a crossover band. See for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5427
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:02

Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.
If you have a bias against modern music as you said before, then why post here? Also: RE Snobb's post: NIN is listed on this website as a crossover band. See for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5427

I know. My personal opinion not always is the same as separate teams point of view on different artists. I think it's normal

Edited by snobb - November 12 2010 at 16:13
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:03
Both have their place in music. It depends on what mood I am in.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 17:29
Nine Inch Nails arent at all prog, but they are far and away the best of the two bands listed here.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:03
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Nine Inch Nails arent at all prog, but they are far and away the best of the two bands listed here.

Sorry, not true.  They have some stuff that is but not all of their stuff is.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalterDigsTunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:23

Because this poll is asking me to choose between two bands. One had something to do with the pre-89 era and the other is an abomination from a hateful age.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:50

Because this poll is asking me to choose between two bands. One had something to do with the pre-89 era and the other is an abomination from a hateful age.
Your an abomination, and i hope you get wiped from the face of the earth, so we dont have to read your usles comments anymore. Go back to your cave you ugly troll!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:38
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Your an abomination, and i hope you get wiped from the face of the earth, so we dont have to read your usles comments anymore. Go back to your cave you ugly troll!

Bow down before the one you serve.  You're going to get what you deserve. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overmatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 09:56
My vote goes for the guy who single handed revolutionized the way rock music is done. Trent Reznor is a legend and shouldn't be casted among Tom Yorke...
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarbouringTheSoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:24
I like Radiohead quite a bit, especially the stuff after Kid A. Nine Inch Nails, however, never did it for me, at least Downward Spiral, The Fragile and Year Zero (haven't heard the rest). Trent has some inspired moments and certainly some unique, but I don't like how he tries to make depression catchy sometimes. Tell me one song where his vocals are more complex and less upbeat, and I'll be glad to listen.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Monodrone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:27
NIN = good band
Radiohead = great band

topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:36
Trent Reznor thinks he is a musical and producing genius and in all truth he barely qualifies as either, someone once said he's an "Industrial Rock pioneer". well the term Industrial Rock to me is simply an excuse for lack of creativity and terrible production making stupid noises and trying to be alternative rock. And he has millions of fans who actually respect his 'music'

Rant over, i actually like Radiohead
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boo boo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 17:04

You know what bothers me most about you? YOUR AVATAR.

Hendrix was a man who was all about defying convention, experimenting with new ideas and moving foward. I don't think he would be fond of his image being used to represent someone like you who is a totally closedminded jerkass who writes off an entire generation of music for not conforming to his traditional ideals.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:01
I don't like either sorry.

Also, why another Radiohead thread? Isn't this like the 4th thread and second poll including them today? Confused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I don't like either sorry.

Also, why another Radiohead thread? Isn't this like the 4th thread and second poll including them today? Confused
This thread is 3 months (95 days) old ConfusedConfused

However, it's probably something to do with a new album just been announced. Wink
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>