22 [30.99%]
46 [64.79%]
3 [4.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Trent Reznor thinks he is a musical and producing genius and in all truth he barely qualifies as either, someone once said he's an "Industrial Rock pioneer". well the term Industrial Rock to me is simply an excuse for lack of creativity and terrible production making stupid noises and trying to be alternative rock. And he has millions of fans who actually respect his 'music'

Rant over, i actually like Radiohead
Odd that, so millions of fans could be so wrong Wink

I think you've probably been listening to the wrong Industrial Rock. Reznor was not so much a pioneer, but someone who gave it mass appeal in the USA. The pioneers where bands like Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Test Dept, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Pere Ubu, Chrome, Swans, and even Depeche Mode - to describe any of those bands as lacking creativity or making stuid noises is to completely missrepresent an entire genre.
What?
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overmatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 06:48
Ok, so Trent is not a genius... You said so mister. Thank God opinions differ on that matter.
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 06:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Trent Reznor thinks he is a musical and producing genius and in all truth he barely qualifies as either, someone once said he's an "Industrial Rock pioneer". well the term Industrial Rock to me is simply an excuse for lack of creativity and terrible production making stupid noises and trying to be alternative rock. And he has millions of fans who actually respect his 'music'

Rant over, i actually like Radiohead
Odd that, so millions of fans could be so wrong Wink

I think you've probably been listening to the wrong Industrial Rock. Reznor was not so much a pioneer, but someone who gave it mass appeal in the USA. The pioneers where bands like Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Test Dept, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Pere Ubu, Chrome, Swans, and even Depeche Mode - to describe any of those bands as lacking creativity or making stuid noises is to completely missrepresent an entire genre.

you're right of course i did generalise i just despise Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 07:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Interesting, I don't really know any of the other artists except for Pere Ubu.  I got on the Ubu bandwagon when I heard Folly Of Youth on college radio.  I don't know why it clicked with me.  I think that infectious bass line.  I do regret getting those early two albums.  I like some difficult listening music but I cringe every time one of them comes up in rotation.  What hooked me on the NIN was I had a girlfriend that big into them around the time The Downward Spiral came out. I saw an ad in the paper for their upcoming tour appearance in Atlanta and Adrian Belew was mentioned so I gave them a try.  Certainly not for everyone.  Radiohead is one I might have gotten into with OK Computer but I didn't give them a serious try at the time because Beavis And Butthead did one of their videos.  Same thing happened to me with Primus.  Now I like them all.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 15 2011 at 07:26
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idiotPrayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 13:04
radiohead.

i just pre-ordered the fancy deluxe edition of the new album and realised: radiohead is THE ONLY band i would buy a record from without hearing it (perhaps also some steven wilson stuff like bass communion or porcupine tree).

nine inch nails is fantastic though but radiohead wins this round easily.
Porcupinetheater View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porcupinetheater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 20:51
The Downward Spiral is better than anything Radiohead has ever released, personally. I think OK Computer and Kid A may be just a tad over-rated. Still good, but they receive a bit more credit than I feel is warranted. NIN for me.
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 21:27
There's a funny rant/review over at RYM if you can find it.  The guys starts with something like....

"from the first few seconds of Yorke's singing, I have the urge to strike him in the mouth..."

Mr Greeen Genes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Greeen Genes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 01:45

Both bands have some songs I like, but I prefer NIN...

OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OT Räihälä Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 14:18
This is tough, because I have never heard anything by Nine Inch Nails. Don't know anything about them, not where they come from, what kind of music they play. But to surpass Radiohead would require something special.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 09:09
Radiohead

I do like some NIN in small doses.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 12:10
Radiohead.

Not a NIN fan. 
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 12:12
^^
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:28
I like them equally, as in I don't like either at all. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:54
Nine Inch Nails for me.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:16
NIN

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:12
Radiohead
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 18:24
NIN, if only because I know most of their songs thanks to my brother. Both bands are rather crappy.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123