Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Listen to the music of today / #5 Adebisi Shank
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today / #5 Adebisi Shank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to the music of today / #5 Adebisi Shank
    Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:56
This is the fourth continuation of the #1 thread where I wrote

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It seems to me that there is a certain encouraging amount of interest for new music and albums of 2010 on PA, but people don't follow recommendations unless they come with "all inclusive". I have decided to start a series of recommendation threads for 2010 albums, in which I promote albums that can be fully streamed for FREE on the internet, thus making the sampling as easy and accessible as possible for those interested. There's no excuse for not checking these releases out now!

The band I am now bringing to your attention is a brilliant math-rock band called Adebisi Shank. They were very recently added to PA (thanks to David Trouserpress and to David Atavachron) so they have practivally zero following around here, which I hope will now improve. To my ears they sound a lot like Battles, which is definitely a good think. Crazy energetic syncopated music with funny weird sounds is my thing!

You can hear their 2010 (and second) album in full and for free HERE or on BANDCAMP.

Here's their PA biography:

ADEBISI SHANK is a trio from Wexford, Ireland - simply LAR, MICK, and VINNIE - that construct heavy but musical mazerock with a strong rhythm & bass backbone and tight dynamics. Cited as both experimental hardcore and Post/math (and compared to OXES and BATTLES among others) 'This is the EP of a Band Called Adebisi Shank' was released in 2007 and their like-titled follow up albums subsequently on the DIY Richter Collective, produced by J. Robbins. Guitarist LAR employs tapping while rhythmists VIN & MICK keep it firm and furious with the ever present mix of tech precision, Punk havoc, funky fun, and Thrash tendencies.

- Atavachron (David) -
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:59
This is from last.fm:

Adebisi Shank are an electric, energetic, loud band from Ireland Taking their cue from acts such as Battles, Oxes and Lite, their debut LP “This is the album of a band called Adebisi Shank” shines through with rays of inventiveness that would teach a few of their contemporaries a thing or two in the art of writing, without ever leaning into the self indulgent persuasions many have fallen ill to when attempting this sort of ‘art noise’.

Creating a record of supreme layers and intricate execution by every means needs a good pair of hands at the helm making sure everything fits into place. And everything fits in perfecty with J.Robbins (ex-Jawbox singer and production mastermind behind records from Mock Orange, Faraquet, Ponytail, Dismemberment Plan, Braid, Texas Is The Reason, Against Me and many more)having headed this trio’s debut. The record was recorded in June at the famous Magpie Cage Studios in Baltimore, MD and mastered at Inner Ear studios by Aloha guitarist, TJ Lipple. With the approval of such highly respected musical individuals it’s already evident that this little three piece from Wexford will be making huge waves in and amongst the ever growingfield of experimental, polyrhytmic, precision based music lovers.
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:02

This is from last.fm:

Adebisi Shank are an electric, energetic, loud band from Ireland Taking their cue from acts such as Battles, Oxes and Lite, their debut LP “This is the album of a band called Adebisi Shank” shines through with rays of inventiveness that would teach a few of their contemporaries a thing or two in the art of writing, without ever leaning into the self indulgent persuasions many have fallen ill to when attempting this sort of ‘art noise’.

Creating a record of supreme layers and intricate execution by every means needs a good pair of hands at the helm making sure everything fits into place. And everything fits in perfecty with J.Robbins (ex-Jawbox singer and production mastermind behind records from Mock Orange, Faraquet, Ponytail, Dismemberment Plan, Braid, Texas Is The Reason, Against Me and many more)having headed this trio’s debut. The record was recorded in June at the famous Magpie Cage Studios in Baltimore, MD and mastered at Inner Ear studios by Aloha guitarist, TJ Lipple. With the approval of such highly respected musical individuals it’s already evident that this little three piece from Wexford will be making huge waves in and amongst the ever growingfield of experimental, polyrhytmic, precision based music lovers.

I look forward to checking out Adebisi Shank over the weekend. 

Thanks for calling them to my attention!
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:08
Cool! Let us know how you liked them. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:34
I think that most, if not all of the tracks can be found on Youtube, but as it can already be listened in full in better quality and better flash players on the links I posted, I'll resume to sample just a couple of the pieces from the album:

And here they are performing:

Adorable LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 12 2010 at 21:38
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:40
Nice idea for a thread but have you run this past Walter first? Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:43
No, but it has the Shred's seal of approval, though. Tongue
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 05:34
Beguiling mixtures of influences there...Micromachines is like a metal band's cover of a Discipline era Crimson track. There's also feint traces of an african influence and jazz fusion in there somewhere too?
Pretty good all round.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 07:19
Good stuff!Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Beguiling mixtures of influences there...Micromachines is like a metal band's cover of a Discipline era Crimson track. There's also feint traces of an african influence and jazz fusion in there somewhere too?
Pretty good all round.

Good observations. Math rock is progressive punk / new wave at its core. And regarding the African flavour, that's probably why they wrote "Tropical" in their description on MySpace LOL But yes, lots of jazz-influenced contemporary bands take influence from black music, especially Fela Kuti (Jaga Jazzist too). If you liked this, check out Battles too. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 15:46
Great first review! Star

This Is The Second Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank by ADEBISI SHANK album cover Studio Album, 2010
This Is The Second Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank
Adebisi Shank Post Rock/Math rock

Review by zravkapt

4 stars Adebisi Shank is a math-rock group from Ireland. This is their second album(duh!). I have never heard their first. I don't know if you can stream that album the way you can this one. I've listend to this at least five times. I love it the more I hear it. A lot of the music here sounds like Battles, but more diverse and fun. If these guys keep making albums of this quality I will become an instant fan.

This is mostly an intrumental album, but there are some vocals modified with vocoder and other effects. "International Drumbeat" has some goofy, upbeat electronics before some rockin' guitar and drums appear. For the majority of the song, these two parts alternate with each other. Around 1 1/2 minutes there is a great part with synthesized horns(or are they real?). "Masa" has crowd noises at the beginning and end. Great bass in this song. Some shredding-like guitar and processed vocals. Over halfway through the music stops and then proceeds to do a start/stop thing. It ends with a good steady drumbeat and fast guitar.

"Genki Shank" is a highlight. Nice bass. After a minute there is some catchy math-rock guitar. Vocoder vocals. Before 2 minutes is a duel with guitar and synth. Before 3 minutes comes a great part. Vocoder and guitar in unison play what sounds like "oh, baby...I love ya". Then a guitar and then synth solo. "Micromachines" has flute-like sounds at the beginning. The rest of the song is very Battles-sounding. "(-_-)"(how do you pronounce that?) is a great melodic and catchy song. Reminds me of the tropics. Some phased drums and robotic chipmunk sounds. An almost hip-hop beat at the end.

"Longdrum" starts with xylophone-like sounds. After 2 minutes the drums change beat with some nice guitar and atmospheric keyboards. Everything stops after 5 minutes. Then an unrelated minimalist part starts and increases in tempo. "Bones" has some awesome synth near the beginning. Great guitar parts. "Frunk" starts with blues-rock style guitar. It then goes into more traditional math-rock territory. Before 2 minutes some processed vocals and then a percussion section. "Century City" has funky bass and good guitar. Over halfway through there is some great synth noises and solid drumming.

Definately one of the better albums I have heard in the past few years. Great stuff. If you want to hear a more melodic and eclectic version of what Battles does, this is for you. Don't know if this is a masterpiece yet or not but it deserves 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt | Report this review (#326497)
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010, 15:08 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 19 2010 at 15:47
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 22:06
I actually noticed these guys when their album was on the front page and gave them a listen - quite enjoyed them - I'm planning on buying a copy but there are just too many bands on my list, I might not be able to get to them all. xD
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 11:07
Yeah, that cover is not the kind of image to miss Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 07:32
Bumpty-bump!
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 07:48
ah, Alex ... I'm still wondering how long you are able to hold her up Wink

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 07:48
LOL That made my day Hug
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 07:55
lucky man ... as for that a muscle ache doesn't matter ...

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 08:59

No, but it has the Shred's seal of approval, though. Tongue

You shouldn't listen to them Alex. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply