Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Prog Bands SFD2: Floyd vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [62.99%]
57 [37.01%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:46
oh sheit it's getting close! 

i went with rush, purely because floyd died way too quickly. and the final cut is a little bit odd....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:51
Pink Floyd by a long distance, even if my favourite work they were involved on, and pissed on, I think of as more of a Ron Geesin work. I love the "Atom Heart Mother" suite.  I also like earlier albums by Floyd very much, and am not really that into post Meddle albums anymore, though I can still enjoy them.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalterDigsTunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:52
Can't vote. Both are pathetic.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 40footwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:41
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Floyd, of course. Looking forward to the KC - Floyd final Approve
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Can't vote. Both are pathetic.

Why not use these to choose which you dislike the least?

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
TrevRockOne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrevRockOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:14
Just wanted to point out that the score is currently 21 12.  Sadly, in the wrong direction though.Cry
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:20
Floyd. No disrespect to Rush, though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:23

Its time for the torch to be passed on from Floyd, KC to Rush...l mean why not? That's what retirees do right, they give up their window offices, parking spots to the ones that remain.

The Body of Work clearly goes to Rush...album by album there is no comparison. That does not look to stop anytime soon either.
The Influence should go to PF....but  why? Rush has and will end up influencing many more generations than the wonderful Floyd will IMO, within many more genres too.

I enjoy a lot of Pink Floyd...I do....but, Pink Floyd quit, they could not get along, they could not put the differences aside, makeup and continue. Rush has never had these self-inflicted issues......their longevity and the mere fact they enjoy doing what they do album after album and tour after tour is unbelievable...it does not happen anymore.

Make a statement and vote for the "new" guy.........vote Rush.
Big smile Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - November 13 2010 at 20:24
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:31
FYI Rush has been around nearly as long as Pink Floyd
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:36
Most definitely PF, Rush is great, but early Floyd is so yummy.
hektur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:38

Rush - They introduced me to prog.

Close call though.

Edit: Seems that I can not vote for some reason, but if I was able it'd be Rush.

Edited by hektur - November 13 2010 at 20:39
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 20:41
Pink Floyd before Dark Side of the Moon.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:19
Any one member of Rush is twice as talented as Pink Floyd as a whole band. Boring lifeless musicians who wrote good lyrics and good melodies, but that's it. Sorry, just my opinion.
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheClosing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:25
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Any one member of Rush is twice as talented as Pink Floyd as a whole band. Boring lifeless musicians who wrote good lyrics and good melodies, but that's it. Sorry, just my opinion.

With dedication anyone can become a monster musician, but not everyone is born with the gift of songwriting. This is exactly why PF wins by miles. 
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:36

I used to like PF a lot back in freshman, sophomore year of high school. Now, I don't as much, but I fstill ind them quite enjoyable.

Rush, however, is one of my all time favorites. I vote Rush.

Shame my two favorites in the semifinals will probably lose (Genesis already lost).

Oh well Ermm 

Edited by Lark the Starless - November 14 2010 at 00:37
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:39
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Influence should go to PF....but  why? Rush has and will end up influencing many more generations than the wonderful Floyd will IMO, within many more genres too.

How so?  Floyd spread themselves across a much wider variety of music.  Do people really forget that the same band that Waters drove to make Animals and Wall (after hitting the big time with Dark Side of the Moon) had also made Piper...and Saucerful of Secrets in the 60s?  Rush may have made more albums and more good albums, but I don't choose Motorhead over Black Sabbath and likewise won't take Rush over Floyd for merely being more prolific.

I enjoy a lot of Pink Floyd...I do....but, Pink Floyd quit, they could not get along, they could not put the differences aside, makeup and continue. Rush has never had these self-inflicted issues......their longevity and the mere fact they enjoy doing what they do album after album and tour after tour is unbelievable...it does not happen anymore.

Mind if I ask what does that really say about their music anyway because you brought up the same line of argument in the Beatles-Rush poll?

Big smile Clap

Rush are hardly new and nor is their music particularly foraying into new territories at the moment. They got trademarked as far back as the 80s.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:41
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Any one member of Rush is twice as talented as Pink Floyd as a whole band. 

Lifeson twice as talented as THE Dave Gilmour, the king of bends and vibrato?  Gimme a break!  Lifeson doesn't even do his technical rock stuff too cleanly unlike the other monsters from the 70s like Roth, Schenker and Eddie Van Halen and some of his solos, like Freewill, are not too good at all.  No debate on Lee and Peart but then again, having better players never made a better band.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:48
Originally posted by TrevRockOne TrevRockOne wrote:

Pretty much everything I like about Pink Floyd's music I can find done better in another band's repertoire.  

Would really love to listen to this far more awesome equivalent of Echoes, for I have never heard one.  Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 01:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

How so?  Floyd spread themselves across a much wider variety of music.  Do people really forget that the same band that Waters drove to make Animals and Wall (after hitting the big time with Dark Side of the Moon) had also made Piper...and Saucerful of Secrets in the 60s?  Rush may have made more albums and more good albums, but I don't choose Motorhead over Black Sabbath and likewise won't take Rush over Floyd for merely being more prolific.

Mind if I ask what does that really say about their music anyway because you brought up the same line of argument in the Beatles-Rush poll?

Big smile Clap

Rush are hardly new and nor is their music particularly foraying into new territories at the moment. They got trademarked as far back as the 80s.
Relax...its a poll, only a music poll..we are not debating the Bible here....LOL

On Influence, its my personal opinion about both bands...not the whole genre or time frame they may be influencing.

You can ask anything you like......My personal belief is a band that enjoys playing music together as one cohesive unit makes better music longterm than a band that does not and has a lot of internal issues. And for these two bands that proof is in the pudding....I am sure you get my point that longevity is one main attribute of success...for me.
I doubt any band starts out to only be mildly succesful...The Beatles, Pink Floyd or Rush....and since you brought that other poll into this, yes I do feel Rush are more succesful than The Beatles for having the stamina and focus to continue for 35 yrs.
We can only guess at what the fab4 would have done or become, but most here don't think it would have been pretty or lasted long at all.....but who knows.

Your last point I don't understand....you said the following above "...Floyd spread themselves across a much wider variety of music"......I think most would be fine subing in Rush for Floyd in your sentence..Pink Floyd could have been trademarked in the 70's.

Anyhow its all matter of opinion....music is art.
Thanks for the post!!! Smile
mark4art View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark4art Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 01:30
Pink Floyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>