Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Prog Bands SFD2: Floyd vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [62.99%]
57 [37.01%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 03:01
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by James McProgger James McProgger wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by ferush ferush wrote:

Originally posted by TheOppenheimer TheOppenheimer wrote:

i really like pink floyd, and altough they are a bit overrated, i find them amazingevery time i listen to their music.

nevertheless, i find Rush quite superior, and beautiful. that is my opinion, and thus, my vote goes for rush.

Of course Floyd is overrated by much; Pink Floyd is band for the masses.

I love you guys. So Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun is music for the masses while Entre Nous is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

going to the extremes arent we?

"extreme" for PF would be Interstellar Overdrive or Sysyphus or Careful with that Axe Eugene or The Nile Song.... I can't say the extreme for Rush. I have tried their music but they do nothing for me, neither 2112. 
Saying that PF are music for masses means that you know only "Another Brick in The Wall part 2", likely.

You could do the same comparison in the opposite direction if you wanted.
So The Necromancer is music for the masses while Wish You Were Here is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

Pink Floyd during their Dark Side of the Moon period had a more commercial sound than Rush did during their 2112 or Hemispheres period. It's not a bad thing, but it's true.

I could, but as I wrote, I'm not able. My knowledge of Rush is too little. What I say is that it's little because their most acclaimed epic didn't make me wanting to try more. 
I don't trust the equation "commercial=poor". I think 90125 is a great album even if commercial. Caravan's "The Album" is not commercial but it's quite poor.

WYWH is one of my less favourite PF albums. I like more the psychedelic period until Dark Side. Question of tastes not of elitism.  I prefer etilism to elitism, really. Wink
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:22
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by James McProgger James McProgger wrote:

Originally posted by ferush ferush wrote:

Originally posted by TheOppenheimer TheOppenheimer wrote:

i really like pink floyd, and altough they are a bit overrated, i find them amazingevery time i listen to their music.

nevertheless, i find Rush quite superior, and beautiful. that is my opinion, and thus, my vote goes for rush.

Of course Floyd is overrated by much; Pink Floyd is band for the masses.

I love you guys. So Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun is music for the masses while Entre Nous is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

going to the extremes arent we?

"extreme" for PF would be Interstellar Overdrive or Sysyphus or Careful with that Axe Eugene or The Nile Song.... I can't say the extreme for Rush. I have tried their music but they do nothing for me, neither 2112. 
Saying that PF are music for masses means that you know only "Another Brick in The Wall part 2", likely.

You could do the same comparison in the opposite direction if you wanted.
So The Necromancer is music for the masses while Wish You Were Here is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

Pink Floyd during their Dark Side of the Moon period had a more commercial sound than Rush did during their 2112 or Hemispheres period. It's not a bad thing, but it's true.

But Rush had a more commercial sound during Permanent Waves-Moving Pictures, not just Floyd circa DSOTM, but even The Wall.  Floyd had the most commercial phase of both bands, that is, the two post-Waters albums but they also had the most experimental phase a la Saucerful of Secrets.  Er, the point was to show that ferush's statement is way off base and reeks of ignorance of Floyd's music. Music for the masses, indeed! And here you all are, rushing to his defense. Confused  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:27
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Nothing from Gilmour is hard to play!! 

Er, yeah, if how beautifully the part is played is absolutely irrelevant and only the physical difficulty is to be rated! Confused  The quality of the rendering is the most important parameter of rating a musician for me and just because the notes by themselves are simple does not mean playing them the way they are meant to be played is.  It is of course your choice, but you are stuck in a "citius, altius, fortius" way of looking at music.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:36
Neither "Fur Elise" is hard to play. We all know that Beethoven was a nerd...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-B4sjUve3E
Btw, this style has been invented by Stanley Jordan 20 years ago.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 16:35

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Nothing from Gilmour is hard to play!! 

Er, yeah, if how beautifully the part is played is absolutely irrelevant and only the physical difficulty is to be rated! Confused  The quality of the rendering is the most important parameter of rating a musician for me and just because the notes by themselves are simple does not mean playing them the way they are meant to be played is.  It is of course your choice, but you are stuck in a "citius, altius, fortius" way of looking at music.

I'm not at all actually, I appreciate tons of different music, and I really love Pink Floyd, with my favorite albums being Meddle and Animals. Just debating here that's all, and in my personal opinion Lifeson is better, and Lifeson sounds better. Gilmour has his great moments for me as well, like the last solo in comfortably numb. My favorite band is Tool, and there guitar player is mediocre at best but it fits the music perfectly. So I know what your saying, i just disagree.
rich2007 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 20:40
RUSH
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 21:15
^ This kid. I like Floyd, but it never clicked with me as much as Rush. Cygnus on.
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jörgemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 09:53
this closes today.
COME THE f**k UP RUSH YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

Crimso will smash floyd so hard in the finals that Waters will want to disband them ... again. Angry

Emoticons
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 10:08
^ I also predict a smashing of PF LOL
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jörgemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 10:15
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 16:27
Poll's over!  The winner of the Semi-finals Division 2 is Pink Floyd.  They will now move onto the Finals, and Rush is out of the tournament.  See you at the next and last match of Battle of the Prog Bands!
progknight94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progknight94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 10:50
Yeah... I would like anyone to give me a reason for Thellama73's reply... 2112 is good but nothing more than Meurglys III... really.

Although I have to I say I'd vote Rush Wink but they have no chances... in the end I think the scheme is bad done...
Prog, after classic, is the highest form of musical expression!!! (I prefer prog, but I guess classic music has to be a bit better:D)
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rod65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 12:55
Rush. Lifelong fan.
nodrush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 07:41
Easy! RUSH, Floyd feel old and tired compared to RUSH. Long live the kings!SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 06:38
Rush all the way, clearly!!! Period.
Pink Floyd is an OVERRATED band, FACT! No one can convince me otherwise. That band get so much undeserved credit in the world of rock music. On nearly every list Pink Floyd is in top 5 rock bands of all time. I can never agree with it. 

Edited by TexasKing - October 23 2016 at 06:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 06:47
hahah...  bump the Le Orme-Rush battle poll.... LOSERS!!! LOL

Le Orme for the win.. though again... Rush fan didn't walk away the complete winner..  it did have one of the greatest posts ever seen in the history of this site. Poor Steve...  even if a Rush fan.. you still could feel the pain through his post.. almost enough to feel sorry for him (and Rush fans)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 06:52
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Rush all the way, clearly!!! Period.
Pink Floyd is an OVERRATED band, FACT! No one can convince me otherwise. That band get so much undeserved credit in the world of rock music. On nearly every list Pink Floyd is in top 5 rock bands of all time. I can never agree with it. 
I feel the exact opposite but then again I am a big Floyd fan that only rarely spin Rush albumsTongue
They do have a couple of alright records under their belt - Caress Of Steel and Signals to be more exact.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:45
Rush

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 04:29
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Rush

You chose to revive a poll from years ago in order to express your opinion of the band that lost the poll back then, but without actually having anything to say on the matter?
If it was a close thing then certainly a case can be made for such a wordless revival.
Sorry, not wordless, my bad. A single word.

And how many other years-old polls have been similarly revived for essentially no reason?
You can vote without commenting, y'know.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>