Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull Stand Up with Carnegie Hall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull Stand Up with Carnegie Hall
    Posted: November 14 2010 at 06:12
I'm sure that many P.A. members are aware of this release however, just for the record...this Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970 performance is worth the price alone even if you are not personally fond of the Stand Up studio recording. This particular performance is supposedly edited. This is not the same show which is featured on the Jethro Tull Cigar Box set. This is in fact the actual show which was briefly featured on the original LP release of "Living In The Past". The Carnegie Hall performance featured on the Cigar box set is obviously a different performance on a different night. Remember those to familiar live tracks from Living In the Past? They were: By Kind Permission Of and Dharma For One? Here we see that By Kind Permission Of is combined or edited with ...."With You There To Help Me"....either this is yet a different night''s performance or it has been edited with the 2 tracks.

The Carnegie Hall performance from the Cigar Box ...20th Anniversary has more echo on the vocals and other instruments. This particular performance is totally unique. The vocals and instruments are more in your face production wise and the entire performance is like taking a trip back to 1970 and hearing the band for the first time. It's a truly magical performance! Glen Cornick is still on board and yet Jon Evans is part of the group....unlike the lineup which recorded Aqualung....so this is a unique transitional period for the band as they play material from Benefit and hardly anything from Aqualung except for "My God" which is done extremely well. This is a worthwhile purchase! Anyone like to comment on other details of the release? I have yet to watch the DVD of Carnegie or listen to the new remastered version of the studio recording Stand Up. Comments?  
GuyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:50
Thanks for the heads up..I thought it might be just a brushed up version of the 25th disc. Will order it
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:52
Thanks, TODDLER. I had doubts whether I need this edition. You convinced me of ordering it.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:07
Have it too-great stuff!
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 07:44
Will definitely get my hands on it at some point.
So will this trend of Collector's Edition continue?
Property of Queen Productions...
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:41
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Will definitely get my hands on it at some point.
So will this trend of Collector's Edition continue?
Ian Anderson really should continue ONLY IF....he his doing it this way. On the newly remasterd This Was he included some BBC tracks and it made the entire release a bit more interesting. With this new Stand Up release he includes a live show. This is all great because historically you get the right insight to the band's career and it's changes. I can't wait for Benefit! I wished he would release a new version of A Passion Play with a second disc of the first recorded sessions which were featured on Nightcap but, also if there are tapes to be dug up from either session, I would be interested in hearing them. Warchild, A Passion Play and sessions off Nightcap are closely related in one sense. Some of the tracks from Warchild were wriiten or even recorded during the first sessions for what was to become later, A Passion Play. Different versions of tracks deriving from Warchild though. Sealion and others. A Passion Play has to be taken with a breath of it's own but, I still find it entertaining to hear his writing from that period upon which he began the first sessions of it, putting it on the shelf, and then moving to another country, moving into a new studio, and recording what became the official release.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 07:07
What's the friggin' point of an audio-only DVD?
Not only here, but generally.
I mean, what's the friggin' point?
So I can watch a nice still while I'm listening to the music?
I mean, what the frig?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 07:54
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

What's the friggin' point of an audio-only DVD?
Not only here, but generally.
I mean, what's the friggin' point?
So I can watch a nice still while I'm listening to the music?
I mean, what the frig?
I just checked this out last night and I have to agree. I have no use for it either! I paid for the Carnegie Hall performance only it seems. The studio recording of Stand Up sounds fine. The interview with Ian Anderson was quite interesting to me. He claims that he had only been playing the flute a year befor This Was.....was recorded. This I did not know. Also he claims that Martin Barre played second flute on Bouree and Reasons For Waiting. During the interview he explains that Tull were not up to par with bands like YES, King Crimson, ELP, and Genesis. He says that Tull were still learning the ropes and these bands were way ahead of them. He says that YES were finer and more advanced schooled musicians than anyone in Tull during the early prog years. I do understand your frustrations with the audio portion of our program. I was quite turned off by the Cigar box set where Ian Anderson sings badly to the re-worked Tull classics.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 21:34
I understand the point of an audio only DVD is that the music has a better quality for listening to it... if you have the proper DVD player and the proper audio equipment connected to your DVD.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 09:32
Good to hear it's a different show to the box set. Think I'll ask Santa for that one. Smile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 04:26
Hi all

it's not a different show to the 25th Anniversay Box as they only played one show at Carnegie Hall (4th Nov 1970    http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/70b.htm). All it is is the COMPLETE Carnegie Hall concert  (i.e. it seamlessly adds "By Kind Permission Of" to "With You There to Help Me" it also has "Dharnma For One"; the latter 2 were originally included on the Living in The Past double LP). Some of the banter is different to the 25th Anniv Box.

Apart from teh entire Carnegie Hall concert, the real gem on the studio CD is that the entire version of "17", all 6 min 11 sec of it, has been included here for the first time on CD instead of the butchered 3 min 7 sec version from the 20th Anniv Box and the 2001 Stand Up remaster. A lot of Tull followers don't like "17" but it was always a favourite of mine and when they released the shortened version on CD I was not happy but now I all is rectified.

I haven't listened to the 5.1 surround sound of the DVD yet (as I don't have a 5.1 surround system.....Q. What! This is 2010 and you don't have at least a 5.1? A..No I don't..... it's my birthday next week so it looks like I might have to buy one).

Cheers

- - - - -
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 21:51
Originally posted by - - - - - - - - - - wrote:

Hi all

it's not a different show to the 25th Anniversay Box as they only played one show at Carnegie Hall (4th Nov 1970    http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/70b.htm). All it is is the COMPLETE Carnegie Hall concert  (i.e. it seamlessly adds "By Kind Permission Of" to "With You There to Help Me" it also has "Dharnma For One"; the latter 2 were originally included on the Living in The Past double LP). Some of the banter is different to the 25th Anniv Box.

Apart from teh entire Carnegie Hall concert, the real gem on the studio CD is that the entire version of "17", all 6 min 11 sec of it, has been included here for the first time on CD instead of the butchered 3 min 7 sec version from the 20th Anniv Box and the 2001 Stand Up remaster. A lot of Tull followers don't like "17" but it was always a favourite of mine and when they released the shortened version on CD I was not happy but now I all is rectified.

I haven't listened to the 5.1 surround sound of the DVD yet (as I don't have a 5.1 surround system.....Q. What! This is 2010 and you don't have at least a 5.1? A..No I don't..... it's my birthday next week so it looks like I might have to buy one).

Cheers

- - - - -
Please listen to that Carnegie Hall concert from the 25th Anniversary box st and tell me if they didn't take the echo off Ian's voice for the Stand Up release? That's exactly what is throwing me off. I haven't heard the box set in years but do recall echo during some of the vocals and announcements. It's probably the mix being different somewhat to the box set which confused the hell out of me. That;s interesting as I recall the box set version sounding as if it could have been a different night. It's the same deal with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Boston Tea Party tapes. The original bootleg or low budget label cd releases of the shows in the 90's had incredible bottom end and extreme mid-range lead guitar presence in the mix. They took all of that and seperated it on left and right channels losing the original impact in guitar sound and less bottom end. When I first heard the re-mixes It threw me off and I thought it was a different show. Do you think this might be the case?    

Edited by TODDLER - November 21 2010 at 21:52
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 04:59
Yes TODDLER that could well be the case.

The problem is that audio technology is improving so quickly that nowdays they could even make a Bay City Rollers Bootleg sound good. That's if anyone ever bothered to record one!

That said, I am hanging out to hear the 5 separate channels of the Carnegie Hall concert...are Martin Barre, Ian Anderson, John Evan, Glenn Cornick and Clive Bunker in a separate channel each? That would be something. Anyone listened yet?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 07:20
Originally posted by - - - - - - - - - - wrote:

Yes TODDLER that could well be the case.

The problem is that audio technology is improving so quickly that nowdays they could even make a Bay City Rollers Bootleg sound good. That's if anyone ever bothered to record one! LOLLOL

That said, I am hanging out to hear the 5 separate channels of the Carnegie Hall concert...are Martin Barre, Ian Anderson, John Evan, Glenn Cornick and Clive Bunker in a separate channel each? That would be something. Anyone listened yet?
This sounds like fun!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 04:59
I'm confused. I always thought that those 2 Carnegie concert tracks on the Living In The Past album were different from the aniversary editions. Sounded completely different to me, anyway.

Now you say they only played one concert?

Either I'm going Altzheimers or there's something strange going on.

Edited by npjnpj - November 23 2010 at 07:17
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 08:23
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I'm confused. I always thought that those 2 Carnegie concert tracks on the Living In The Past album were different from the aniversary editions. Sounded completely different to me, anyway.

Now you say they only played one concert?

Either I'm going Altzheimers or there's something strange going on.
Doesn't it seem as if the solo's are different? I'll have to listen again. As I said before, it could be the mix? When you listen to Jon Evans piano work from the Living In the Past live excerpt and then compare it to the Anniversary edition, the Anniversary has an echo of a hall  while the L.I.T.P. live excerpt  presents more like the sound of a piano in your livingroom.  huh?
progvault View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 01:58
It's because they were remastered. The echo is a  reverb added  afterwards for mastering. Some reverbs mimic the sound of a room, hall, etc.. When it's "remastered"  that means it's stripped back down to the bare tracks and mastered again with a new approach and newer technology. This latest version of this concert is remixed and remastered and  6 tracks seperated for 5.1 This one would be the keeper. If you do not have a 5.1 system to listen to a 5.1 dvd mix  then get one as soon as you can because you wont believe what your missing!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 22:06
Got the album some months ago. Didn't know the album Stand Up and as a matter of fact I liked it more than I expected. And the live album is really great too... even if they extended some of their songs a bit more that what I would have liked to... but then again, surely many people like them better this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply