Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Hodgson - In the Eye of the Storm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Hodgson - In the Eye of the Storm
    Posted: November 15 2010 at 18:26
what do you think of this album, I have only heard snippets from YouTube since it is so hard (and im lazy) to find copys,  but i love the songs i have heard so romantic and nice folky pop touch

have anyone tried to reorganice the songs from Brother Where are you Bound with In the Eye of the Storm
that would probably be one of the best Supertramp albums, such great and liberated compositions

also anyone noticed that early versions of Roger Hodgson dose look like Jesus Tongue
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 22:03
his best solo................but awful work
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 01:40

Loved it when it was first released....haven't put it on in a very long time.  In fact, I don't even think I have a copy of it on the shelf anymore.  I really wish Roger had stuck around with the Tramp  and worked out Eye with the band.  The album is chock full of proggy stuff.....Davies jazzy leanings would've balanced it out nicely.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 13:06
I know that Chris S would not agree with me Tongue, but I think this album is great. Especially if you liked Hodgson's Supertramp input. This album and Open the Door I can recommend. You can buy them on his concerts or on his website for a reasonable price (and autograph is included).

(And no, I do not reorganize albums, never! Wink)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 16:32
but like this would be just perfect you would not hear a difference

1.       Cannonball 7:38

2.      Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy) 8:27

3.       Still in Love"  " 4:36

4.  In Jeopardy 5:59

5.      Lovers in the Wind4:11

6.      No Inbetween 4:36

7.      Hooked on a Problem 5:10

8.       Better Days  6:15

9.      Give Me Love, Give Me Life" (7:03)

10.   Brother Where You Bound" 16:30

1. I'm Not Afraid7:30

12.  Only Because of You 8:40

13.   Ever Open Door"  3:06

Edited by aginor - November 16 2010 at 16:57
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 16:56
Soapbox Opera part 2

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 05:11
'Had a dream'  has a perfect intro, so I would leave it at the beginning. If you really want to reorganize them I would put it like this (based on certain similarities of both albums):

Had a Dream
Cannonball
In Jeopardy
Still In Love
Hooked on a Problem
No Inbetween
I'm Not Afraid
Better Days
Give me Love, Give Me Life
Ever Open Door
Lovers In The Wind
Brother Where You Bound
Only Because Of You
XTChuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 09:05
I agree with Formentera Lady about the intro to "Had a Dream".  The rest of the LP is just kind of ok. Ermm

Edited by XTChuck - November 18 2010 at 09:06
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 03:20
Like many here , I wonder how it would've panned out if Hodgson had remained with Tramp, but remember that Famous Last Word was their worst album since Indellebly Stramped

To make an excellent  "prog" album out of Brother and Storm, you'd have to three songs of Brother and find three prog songs from Storm,

here''s my review of the Storm album, which obviopusly compares(well sort of)  the two albums against each other

In the bull's eye, but through the ears

Almost 3 stars, but not enough. After having left Supertramp in what appeared an amicable parting at first (but growing tense fairly rapidly), Roger had to respond to Tramp's amazing Brother Where You Bound album, so good that Roger's presence wasn't missed. Roger answered with a fairly good solo debut album, taking the chance to play most instruments himself, except mainly for the great Michael Shrieve drumming on 5 tracks and some bass works and more details. With a very evocative artwork, Eye Of The Storm raised many hopes among Supertramp fans, but the album is really a mixed bag

As Surpertramp's Brother album had given in to a bit of modernity (the Canonball groove is fairly 80's-ish), Roger also gave in t "progress", but more noticeably so, mainly in the drumming department, when not Shrieving, it's . Opening on the album is the almost 9-mins Had A Dream, which came in with an ambitious but frenetic and stressing MTV videoclip to accompany the album's release. A lengthy intro leads in a very fearsome ambiance, as if Roger had more of a nightmare than a dream. We'd never seen that facet of Roger in Supertramp. Right after this interesting start, Roger attacks the better known In Jeopardy, a very Davies-ian piano tune with an ultra-high synth line, but the vocal line is typically Roger's usual self. Lovers In The Woods is a good mainly piano tune with Roger's usual sensibility and sparse arrangements. However, Hooked On A Problem is a return to the bad Last Words album (best skipped fwd), and again sounds as if Davies had written it. These two influenced each other more than they thought.

On the flipside, Give Me Life is one of those w**ker melodies Roger got us used to in every album since Dreamer on Crime, and here it doesn't serve his cause and that track overstays most of its 7-mins+. A bit more interesting is the guitar-ey I'm Not Afraid, but it quickly becomes repetitive and becomes irritating by the end of its 7 minutes. To close the album, Roger strikes a big one, Only Because Of You, a calm and sad lament (and album best) that seems aimed at Davies, whose shadow seems float all over album, when it should've Roger's that should've soared over Brother Where You Bound. So for this first post-split album, Davies takes the first inning with the outstanding Brother, despite a meriting Hodgson effort.

As the album title and the song texts indicates, Roger's state of mind was not exactly in peace with himself after exiting the group. Some of those numbers could've bettered (if possible) the fabulous Brother Where You Bound album from his former band, but on the whole Supertramp proved they could do without him, at least at first. Most likely the acrimony between the factions will stem from this first round, and worsen as it went unhealed. Eye Of The Storm is an honest solo album in the sense that Gilmour or Hackett or Banks made solo album - Of limited interest, but no doubt that many Hodgson enthusiasts will praise beyond reason

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 07:00
Interesting. I was thinking of arguing just the other way round: explaining how Roger overshadowed 'Brother Were You Bound', and that it can be heard in his solo albums, and showing that his solo albums sound more like the old Supertramp than the later Supertramp albums without him... Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply