Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Flash" - 1971 to Present

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 15:36
Excellent!  I'm glad you like it.  It's getting good reviews.  I posted a few on the Prog News forum Flash thread.

Like all the Flash albums, there's a lot to listen to and it was made to last.  Over time, you may want to get a hard copy.  The sound is even better.

Here's an interview that was published yesterday: http://www.musicnewsnashville.com/resurrected-prog-rockers-flash-rock-again
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 19:24
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Excellent!  I'm glad you like it.  It's getting good reviews.  I posted a few on the Prog News forum Flash thread.

Like all the Flash albums, there's a lot to listen to and it was made to last.  Over time, you may want to get a hard copy.  The sound is even better.

Here's an interview that was published yesterday: http://www.musicnewsnashville.com/resurrected-prog-rockers-flash-rock-again

Sherry, the new CD is great!  Colin's voice has matured a great deal, it is a huskier, blusier tone now....I'm thrilled that Ray picked up his bass again, and the album deserves all of its good reviews.  Here's hoping they tour! 
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 01:00
I think you already know the band was contacted by a venue in Chicago who also hooked them up with a booking agent in Illinois, so it just could be that at least part of the first Flash tour will be in your area!  Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 17:21
Two new Flash tracks on the radio in Poland.  You can listen here...

http://www.mlwz.ceti.pl/dmdocuments/mlwz2013-06-19.mp3

Too late; the link is gone.

You can still hear two tracks on youtube, however.

Edited by sherrynoland - August 21 2013 at 03:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 14:42
Another wonderful review for the new CD...

"Imagine Crosby, Still, Nash and Young jamming with Yes."  ~Angel Romero, Progressive Rock Central.com

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 15:19

The acoustics in this place are dreadful, there's a terrible echo-cho-cho-o-o-o we just can't get under control.

Stern Smile
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 03:42
Anyone recognize the bass player in this photo?  

Just look at the picture and see if you recognize him. The answer is in the caption below the picture, but don't cheat!

Hint:  He's actually a famous drummer...

Edited by sherrynoland - June 30 2013 at 02:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 02:05
Did anyone get it right without looking?  
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 19:38
^ Yes, I did recognize him before looking at the caption (one of "those" faces). Who knew he and Ray Bennett were in the same band? What goes around comes around.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 02:36
Jolly good show!  

That was a fruitful time for music, lots of young lads inspired by the Beatles and a sense of freedom that fostered a great generation of musicians that we're still enjoying today.

Glad  to spread the news about some of these fellows and give an update on what they're doing today.  Still making wonderful music.  Thumbs Up

Edited by sherrynoland - July 28 2013 at 17:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 03:57
Another bit of history:

BENNETT & BRUFORD'S BREED BLUES BAND BANNED!!!  (Say THAT five times, fast!)

Seems Ray and Bill's band was a tad bit controversial!!

Edited by sherrynoland - July 06 2013 at 10:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 15:38
Here's the band rehearsing/jamming on a Flash classic, "Manhattan Morning" from their third album.  It was reprised on the new CD...

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 15:50
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Another bit of history:

BENNETT & BRUFORD'S BREED BLUES BAND BANNED!!!  (Say THAT five times, fast!)

Seems Ray and Bill's band was a tad bit controversial!!

Bruford looks like he's 12 in that picture.  Smile
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 17:13
Not far from it...Bill was 17, and Ray (bottom center) was 16!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 16:19
Colin @ the band house in Upstate NY 1974...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 04:44
A customer review on amazon today...

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong come-back album. Flash is back!, August 3, 2013
By
B. Robindale, Boston, Mass. -
This review is from: Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter (Audio CD)

Sadly, I wasn't around in the heyday of progressive music. But coming from a large family of talented musicians who were, I was raised in a house where it was normal to hear Tchaikovsky and ELP back to back on any given afternoon.

While most of my generation have not even heard of Yes or ELP, I've long been a devoted fan of the great musicianship of this amazing time period in rock music history. So along comes a new Flash album! In 2013!!! Really? In 2013? This, I had to hear! Though Flash has always been one of the lesser-known bands of that period, my constant thirst for new music and hearing word of a new Flash album brought me to anxiously purchase their new CD.

Short Version: This is not a 'comeback' album by a band hoping to relive glory days of the past while offering up a mere shadow of previous works. This is a legitimate rebirth of a band that will be drawing more and more attention to themselves as this album receives more exposure.

Highlights: The album features the reunion of Ray Bennett and Colin Carter, the main song writers of Flash's best early material. And the song-writing on this album could easily be argued to be among the best in the Flash library. In fact, I could argue this may well be the best Flash album to date, when one breaks it down in detail and compares albums in this method. Carter's voice sounds more mature and complete than at any time in his career. His remake of
Manhattan Morning is gripping. His interpretation of NIN's HURT is sincere and captivating. Night Vision and Ten Thousand Movies find Carter in top form.

The bass work of Ray Bennett has always been a key signature of Flash's sound: fluid and aggressive, driving and creative. He does not disappoint on this CD. A strong argument could be made that Bennett's bass work on this new CD may be among the best bass work out today by ANY rock bassist. It's hard to pick a song that's a highlight here, all the bass work shines throughout.

There's also a new guitarist. Though some reviews here argue that Flash is not Flash without Peter Banks (RIP), I strongly disagree. Bennett's approach (yes, Bennett is also the new guitarist!) anchors the new Flash sound in a way that Banks would not be able to; clearly not for lack of ability, but because Bennett interpreting Bennett's music would naturally be more faithful than Banks interpreting Bennett's music--and of course, vice versa. So this is no slight to Banks, who was obviously a great guitarist and without question, every bit an equal reason for Flash's original success. Two different styles and approaches, that's all. Bennett's approach, though equally technical at times, is clearly more focused on melody and substance. No lacking for nice guitar parts on this album.

The nay-sayers that claim Flash has lost its technical and complex edge are not listening close enough. This music is equally challenging and complicated in its own way, more through composition and structure rather than through displays of purposeless virtuosity, which is very often the downfall of lesser creative modern 'prog' bands. But if you want virtuosity, the new album offers that as well. Again, Bennett's bass work certainly quantifies the album in this area, and though only the first Flash album truly featured keyboards, (compliments of Bank's former Yes band-mate Tony Kaye), of all Flash recordings this album easily has the finest keyboard work. One needs only to listen to the impressive keyboard flourishes throughout Night Vision, or the intricate piano work of the album's closing track, Richerd of Venice, to know that newly acquired keyboardist Daugherty is more than capable of filling this role in Flash.

The drumming is spot on, though the drumming of original member Mike Hough was more creative and adventurous.

Conclusion: Based on the quality of writing and musicianship displayed on this new album, we certainly have not heard the last of Flash. If this album is any indication of what Flash has up it's musical sleeve, they are genuinely 'back'. I think this album is at the very least as good if not better than any recent release of major prog-super-groups or recent more modern progressive bands. Hopefully they will be appearing in the Boston area at some point on tour.
I'll be there!

Check this album out. A strong piece of work. A very solid come-back album. 4 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/product-reviews/B00BY8DLF8/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RKLHEOYQNSV3L

Edited by sherrynoland - August 07 2013 at 14:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 15:24

Flash billboard on the wall outside The Whiskey—Colin, equipment truck, roadies...1972
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 19:19
Boy they spent some money for a smaller band, too bad they didn't make any

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 20:15
Were you being sarcastic, Atavachron?  I'm not sure, but don't be deceived by appearances.

Capitol Records spent quite a lot of money.  The band was on a small salary and lots of people were on the payroll.  When all was said and done, I believe Capitol came up short.  The band broke up on the brink of breaking even/pulling ahead.

But what's important to me, is the music.  It's still remembered and enjoyed forty years later.  That's pretty cool, don't you think? 

Edited by sherrynoland - August 21 2013 at 03:21
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 20:18
Hmm, yes, the brief prog bubble.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>