Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

"Flash" - 1971 to Present

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Flash" - 1971 to Present
    Posted: June 29 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by sherrynoland

I played some "new progrock" for Ray last night and he said to me, "If you're not evolving, you become part of the furniture."

He went on to say (I'm paraphrasing now), the only place NEW music comes from is WITHIN an individual.

I say, that's why when you hear truly original music, you can recognize the artist (not a genre). They sound like no one else.

I agree with this whole heartedly. And things get even worse when we get stuck on a top ten mentality which is something I fight vociferously here on PA ... when there is a discussion about top 5, or Big 5 ... which to me is like saying that we're not people, and we have no talent and we can not play music! Those 5 have to be the "gods", and everyone else has to go read the book!

Sorry. With apologies for the joke!

The inner work, might not exactly be "original" per se, when you write it down on a piece of paer and such, but there is a side of the rock music, that came alive in the last 50 to 60 years, and be it a following of the blues or jazz or whatever, the "feeling" is not something that you can put down on paper, and it was one of the greatest discussions about the differences between the well known orchestra conductors 50 years ago!

In my experience, when you hear something totally new and original, there are colors, movies, and so much inside my head, that all you can do is sit and go ... wow ... sort of like the very first time you took this or that and saw all the colors and looked at the chair the same way that Aldous Huxley did. The experience will forever burn in your memory, because it is so strong and special.

All of these have their inner value to your experience, and in my thoughts, your inner beauty is tied to the ability to perceive, and understand that part of you, which is ALSO a valid part of you, that we tend to think is not a valid part. How can a part of your body not be a valid part of your body?

It's all one, and my "theory of relativity" of sorts where all of it, somehow comes together and lives within the same atmosphere and place!

Edited by moshkito - June 29 2014 at 11:06
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote sherrynoland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 15:22
Originally posted by sherrynoland

Got a nice letter from a fan...

Hello Colin and Ray,

I just wanted to share an experience from the distant past and hope you enjoy...

A Flash story,

It was the early 70s, I was a high school student and played bass guitar (Gibson walnut SB 450) and was visiting Jones County Junior College during homecoming weekend. By chance a guitar player who was a JCJC student and I crossed paths. The guitar player was a local guitar god who played a Gibson Les Paul when it was a big deal to own a Les Paul. We were discussing music and bands when he told me about a impressive new band. He wanted me to hear this band, so we walked to his Mazda RX-3. This car had a rotary engine which was cool in those days. We go for a drive and he puts Flash In The Can eight-track tape in and cranks up the volume on his Craig eight-track player. I hear this tight hard rock band crank out of the speakers. The music reminded me of a muscular Yes combined with the power of the Who. After hearing this exciting new sound, I was hooked on Flash. ~ Charles Laseter

Just wanted to bring this onto the new page...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote sherrynoland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 14:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote sherrynoland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:02
Originally posted by moshkito

In my experience, when you hear something totally new and original, there are colors, movies, and so much inside my head, that all you can do is sit and go ... wow ...

I like that, Moshkito.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456