Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Flash" - 1971 to Present

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 20:21
By the way, Flash wasn't "a smaller band" at the time.  Remember, they had a Top 30 hit—still rare for a "prog" band.  Capitol was very enthusiastic about them and they were a terrific touring band—better live than on record.

Bubble, or not, it was great time for good music.  And that's why I'm glad they're back!

Edited by sherrynoland - August 18 2013 at 01:23
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 20:36
Flash wasn't a smaller band at the time?   Right.
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 01:15
Now I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic.  You actually don't think Flash was at the top of the heap during their short 70's lifespan.  I was gonna ignore it, but I'm curious...

I'm wondering how old you are, David, and how much you actually know about Flash's history.  Or maybe we just have different definitions of "big," but they certainly satisfy mine.

They performed with most of the top bands of the day playing before hundreds of thousands of people, they toured the world, were on radio and TV, headlined at Lincoln Center in NYC, hit the charts, have had their albums reissued numerous times, and accomplished all this in 2 1/2 years before breaking up, which is the only reason they didn't become the household names some of their peers became.

I wouldn't call that "a smaller band," no.

"They've got guts, they are musicians with the chops and they've got enough insight into the mechanics of music-making to be able to offer more in the way of intelligent, innovative musicianship than nine-tenths of their contemporaries." Gordon Fletcher - ROLLING STONE

Edited by sherrynoland - September 15 2013 at 01:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 16:49
As many of you probably know, ex-Yes and Flash guitarist Peter Banks died suddenly last year (heart failure, reportedly).  He was honored on the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. The outpouring of appreciation was phenomenal.  I hope Pete knows...

Edited by sherrynoland - May 07 2014 at 17:46
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 18:20
Thanks Sherry
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 11:59
Hi,

I just took a trip back in time ... got the first album and enjoyed it!

One of the liner notes is kinda funny ... what do I need a keyboard for it when I can play the part on the guitar also ... and Peter DOES!

Edited by moshkito - May 11 2014 at 12:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 16:41
I played some "new progrock" for Ray last night and he said to me, "If you're not evolving, you become part of the furniture."

He went on to say (I'm paraphrasing now), the only place NEW music comes from is WITHIN an individual.

I say, that's why when you hear truly original music, you can recognize the artist (not a genre). They sound like no one else.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 17:08
I did not discover Flash until finding a used lp copy of the debut in the early 90s. I have the first three records, and like them very much. I like them more than Yes, itself, really. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I did not discover Flash until finding a used lp copy of the debut in the early 90s. I have the first three records, and like them very much. I like them more than Yes, itself, really. 

Have you heard the new CD?  Excerpts here: https://soundcloud.com/flashbennettcarter
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 18:09
^Thanks, I heard those excerpts, and I liked what I heard, definitely. Very interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 14:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

One of the liner notes is kinda funny ... what do I need a keyboard for it when I can play the part on the guitar also ... and Peter DOES!

Did you buy a vinyl reissue, or a CD? I don't think I've seen those liner notes. Anything else interesting? Would you consider reproducing them here for us?

Ray says Flash managed live without keyboards and was so energetic they got by, but he thinks it was a bad decision to carry on without and they would have been better with Moraz who auditioned, or someone like him.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Hi,

Did you buy a vinyl reissue, or a CD? I don't think I've seen those liner notes. Anything else interesting? Would you consider reproducing them here for us?Ray says Flash managed live without keyboards and was so energetic they got by, but he thinks it was a bad decision to carry on without and they would have been better with Moraz who auditioned, or someone like him.

Interesting. I guess it would have been great if indeed thay had taken Moraz in. Perhaps he would have fared better than with Yes, given that the story of how he was kicked out was rather unpleasant.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 02:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Ray says Flash managed live without keyboards and was so energetic they got by, but he thinks it was a bad decision to carry on without and they would have been better with Moraz who auditioned, or someone like him.

Interesting. I guess it would have been great if indeed thay had taken Moraz in. Perhaps he would have fared better than with Yes, given that the story of how he was kicked out was rather unpleasant.

The story goes, Moraz came backstage after a Flash gig all decked out, with a woman on both arms and said, "I should be in your band!" I wonder if he remembers that? :) Nobody knew him or had heard him play, and were a bit put off. Mike, the drummer, went home with him and reported back that he was a good player. But in the end, they'd gotten used to just the four of them and felt it would be odd to bring in someone new.  Tony Kaye was asked to join because he felt like part of the family.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 14:20

Did you buy a vinyl reissue, or a CD?

Pal ... I had that album cover on my wall for over 10 years!

Along with Capability Brown's Voice

Originally posted by Sherrynoland Sherrynoland wrote:

I don't think so. I think there would have been a clash of ideas that would eventually hurt more than it would help. I just thought that YES, should have been more respectful and kept Patrick for at least 3 or 4 more albums, but sadly, it didn't happen, probably because of the egos involved. And YES went to a pop'ish concept from there, which might have suggested that Patrick was way too intelligent musically speaking to even be with FLASH. And Peter saying that he could play all the keyboard parts, would not help matters.

Keyboards ARE, and WERE, grossly over rated, because of the grandiosity of its sound that could over power a guitar and singer real quick. But the number of bands that deserve more respect in a progressive discussion are not getting it, because we can't get past the "sound" with the leyboards! We refuse to accept the "same concept" and "idea" with different instruments, EVEN, playing the same part, as Peter suggests. That would make his band FAR MORE progressive than a lot of our favorites, but no ..... we go for the sound, not the music.

The "sound" should never, be a part of the definition!

Edited by moshkito - May 25 2014 at 10:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 15:36
Thanks for your comments, Moshkito, I know you enjoyed those covers! But I'm confused.

Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

I just took a trip back in time ... got the first album and enjoyed it! One of the liner notes is kinda funny ... what do I need a keyboard for it when I can play the part on the guitar also ... and Peter DOES!

Flash had Tony Kaye as a guest on keys on their first album. I assumed you read that liner note from Pete on a later album, or reissue. Ray tells me there were no quotes on any of the first three Flash studio album covers. I know Pete said it later, but where did you see it?

As for Moraz, or another keyboardist joining Flash, "feeling like part of the family" is code for "can get along and work well with everybody" as well as being super-talented. That would have been essential and I think Patrick's demeanor upon meeting them didn't bode well. As it turned out, there was only room for one ego in Flash—Pete's. Unfortunately, that's why Pete was never successfully in any band for very long.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 22:09

Did you buy a vinyl reissue, or a CD?

Pal ... I had that album cover on my wall for over 10 years!

Along with Capability Brown's Voice

I don't think so. I think there would have been a clash of ideas that would eventually hurt more than it would help. I just thought that YES, should have been more respectful and kept Patrick for at least 3 or 4 more albums, but sadly, it didn't happen, probably because of the egos involved. And YES went to a pop'ish concept from there, which might have suggested that Patrick was way too intelligent musically speaking to even be with FLASH. And Peter saying that he could play all the keyboard parts, would not help matters.

Keyboards ARE, and WERE, grossly over rated, because of the grandiosity of its sound that could over power a guitar and singer real quick. But the number of bands that deserve more respect in a progressive discussion are not getting it, because we can't get past the "sound" with the leyboards! We refuse to accept the "same concept" and "idea" with different instruments, EVEN, playing the same part, as Peter suggests. That would make his band FAR MORE progressive than a lot of our favorites, but no ..... we go for the sound, not the music.

The "sound" should never, be a part of the definition!

It seems the editing of the posts you were trying to reply to are a bit confusing. I didn't say any of that, as the quote boxes sugest, but it was rather Sherry

Edited by Dellinger - May 25 2014 at 20:26
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 10:55

It seems the editing of the posts you were trying to reply to are a bit confusing. I didn't say any of that, as the quote boxes sugest, bur it was rather Sherry

Fixed. Sorry about that.
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 15:12
Moshkito,

I think Dellinger was trying to tell you that the questions and comments above (and below) were from me, not him.

I was asking where you saw that quote from Pete...

Thanks for your comments, Moshkito, I know you enjoyed those covers! But I'm confused. You said:

Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

I just took a trip back in time ... got the first album and enjoyed it! One of the liner notes is kinda funny ... what do I need a keyboard for it when I can play the part on the guitar also ... and Peter DOES!

Flash had Tony Kaye as a guest on keys on their first album. I assumed you read that liner note from Pete on a later album, or reissue. Ray tells me there were no quotes on any of the first three Flash studio album covers. I know Pete said it later, but where did you see it?

As for Moraz, or another keyboardist joining Flash, "feeling like part of the family" is code for "can get along and work well with everybody" as well as being super-talented. That would have been essential and I think Patrick's demeanor upon meeting them didn't bode well. As it turned out, there was only room for one ego in Flash—Pete's. Unfortunately, that's why Pete was never successfully in any band for very long.

On the point about having a keyboard player, or not, Ray says, aside from having no mic on the bass so it's virtually inaudible, the live recording of "Flash In Public" recently released reminded him of how much better they might have sounded—fuller, richer— with keys. As on their studio recordings though, it would have to be done right. This time around, they have an excellent keyboardist.
https://soundcloud.com/flashbennettcarter
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 15:59
On behalf of troops everywhere...past, present and future—

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0Eyw3l3XM

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 02:45
Got a nice letter from a fan...

Hello Colin and Ray,

I just wanted to share an experience from the distant past and hope you enjoy...

A Flash story,

It was the early 70s, I was a high school student and played bass guitar (Gibson walnut SB 450) and was visiting Jones County Junior College during homecoming weekend. By chance a guitar player who was a JCJC student and I crossed paths. The guitar player was a local guitar god who played a Gibson Les Paul when it was a big deal to own a Les Paul. We were discussing music and bands when he told me about a impressive new band. He wanted me to hear this band, so we walked to his Mazda RX-3. This car had a rotary engine which was cool in those days. We go for a drive and he puts Flash In The Can eight-track tape in and cranks up the volume on his Craig eight-track player. I hear this tight hard rock band crank out of the speakers. The music reminded me of a muscular Yes combined with the power of the Who. After hearing this exciting new sound, I was hooked on Flash. ~ Charles Laseter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>