Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOblivion Sun news - New album etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oblivion Sun news - New album etc.
    Posted: November 22 2010 at 11:31
I have spoken with guitarist Stan Whitaker a couple of times since the band's live show at Baltimore's Orion Studios in May 2010.

The band is recording their second album, this time as a quartet, and plans to perform as a quartet. The second album will include the lengthy High Places composition that was first performed at Nearfest 2009.

Bill left the band following the Orion performance. Frank Wyatt, who once described his role in HTM as "rhythm keyboardist", will cover all keyboard duties.

The first album was recorded in Bill's studio. Frank has upgraded his home studio, and that is where the new album is being recorded.

I found a mention of an Happy The Man (HTM) tune entitled Merlin and the High Places in a web site listing of HTM setlists. That HTM tune has never been released so far as I can tell. I mentioned that old tune to Stan. He confirmed that the current High Places composition is based on the old HTM tune.

dlcapf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 16:00
Merlin and the High Places was recorded at the HTM band house on Kenmore St. in Arlington, VA in early 1976,  and was later released on HTM's album, Deaths Crown after remastering  and digital editing by Kit Watkins (Cuneiform Records #55015).   This album was released after HTM had dis-banded, and all 5 of the original members wrote the music and play on the album, plus Dan Owen added lead vocals, classical guitar, and additional bass tracks.  It may be difficult to find as I believe it was only a very limited edition.
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 16:02
Nothing definite or official yet, but...

Stan Whitaker - HTM/Oblivion Sun, and Ray Bennett - Flash, are discussing a joint tour.  Both bands have a new release scheduled for early 2011.  Should be interesting....
plinius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 15:26
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Stan Whitaker - HTM/Oblivion Sun, and Ray Bennett - Flash, are discussing a joint tour.  Both bands have a new release scheduled for early 2011.  Should be interesting....

I agree. But I remember that Stan was seriously ill a while ago. Does it mean is definitely healed?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 15:31
Ironically just listened to their first album for the first time since I bought it and it is much better than I remember it being. So good news!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 16:07
Originally posted by plinius plinius wrote:

Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

I agree. But I remember that Stan was seriously ill a while ago. Does it mean is definitely healed?

Don't know the details, but Stan has recovered, is working hard on a new album and making plans...
OSdrummer1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 14:38

Just wanted to catch up.  We are still in the studio, and moving well into the new cd.  You can keep up with our progress at www.reverbnation.com/oblivionsun.  Please hang in with us.  We hope to really make the long wait worthwhile.  All the best.  Bill Brasso

OSdrummer1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 14:41
Happy to report that Stan is doing fantastic!!  We've done a few Oblivion Sun gigs since May 2010, but are now seriously nestled in Crafthands Studio in Winterstown, PA.  You can follow our progress at www.reverbnation.com/oblivionsun. Stan also gets out to do solo acoustic gigs several times during the week.  Thanks!  All the best! Bill Brasso
Dave Hughes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 14:45
Originally posted by Dreamer of Pictures Dreamer of Pictures wrote:

I have spoken with guitarist Stan Whitaker a couple of times since the band's live show at Baltimore's Orion Studios in May 2010.

The band is recording their second album, this time as a quartet, and plans to perform as a quartet. The second album will include the lengthy High Places composition that was first performed at Nearfest 2009.

Bill left the band following the Orion performance. Frank Wyatt, who once described his role in HTM as "rhythm keyboardist", will cover all keyboard duties.

The first album was recorded in Bill's studio. Frank has upgraded his home studio, and that is where the new album is being recorded.

I found a mention of an Happy The Man (HTM) tune entitled Merlin and the High Places in a web site listing of HTM setlists. That HTM tune has never been released so far as I can tell. I mentioned that old tune to Stan. He confirmed that the current High Places composition is based on the old HTM tune.

Dave Hughes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 14:51
The tentative title of our new CD and vinyl release is The High Places. This Frank Wyatt epic runs about 22 minutes in length. There will be four other songs on the record, giving the product a total running time of 45-50 minutes.
Dave Hughes
3/5/11
 Post Reply Post Reply