Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPure Reason Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pure Reason Revolution
    Posted: November 23 2010 at 02:09

Hi.

I'm surprised to realize there's been no news or nothing about the new album from this band. I'm also ashamed to say, that I forgot to pre-order this album, and now I have to wait till noon before I can have it.

Hammer and Anvil came out 18th October and has been reviewed only 7 times. I think it pretty much shows, that people don't like the way the band is going. I remember how I found out about them after the first album, which was very popular among the PA folk. I recall a vote where they were voted the 4th best album of the year just after some classics like Steve Hackett. So I listened to the album.

It's true they've gone through quite a change after the first album with Amor Vincit Omnia and now Hammer and Anvil, but you can still hear the greatness behind it all. In fact, the new album would most probably be to the liking of those, who really loved the 1st album, like me.

Here's a thread for discussing, hyping, reviewing the band. Do contribute if you feel like it; I think the band deserves it after 3 great albums and probably the best Xover album of the year 2010, which apparently is on spotify too, so you can listen to it before buying it :)

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 04:51
I'm just on my second listen and although I like it a lot, I feel it's just a bit too much like Amor Vincit Omnia (regardless of what the reviews up to now say).

Amor Vincit Omnia was one of my favourite albums last year, a clear 5 star album (I didn't rate their first album that much). They could bundle Hammer and Anvil with AVO as a double CD, and it would seem quite natural.

So, on its own I'd also rate this 5 stars, but seen in conjunction with AVO I'd have to give it a 4 star rating because of the lack of progression.

Edited by npjnpj - November 23 2010 at 05:30
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 08:41
Unlike Jonesey, I strongly disliked the electro-pop direction they took on AVO (though I'm curious how I'd like it now, as my tastes have changed massively in a very short time), so I was happy to hear them going back to a rock approach similar to that of the debut. I don't think it's nowhere near the greatness of the debut but I'll let it grow on me, I'm patient. 
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 09:28
Personally Hammer and Anvil is probably my least favorite. I really like the debut (probably one of my favorite modern albums), AVO has some good moments but to be honest I'm not really a fan of the new one. I've only listened to it about five times so it may grow on me yet but that's my impression at this point.

Do love the debut though. Thumbs Up
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 09:57

I'm a bit skeptic, Amor Vincat Nihilum was a huge disappointment.
And it's not that I don't like electro-pop, I even enjoy the debut from Kasabian very much.

Edited by Bonnek - November 23 2010 at 09:58
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 10:52

I do think, that though the first album seemed to be separate and would have deserved continuation, the two following albums were great as well. Had it been 2 different bands, one that played Xover like the used to and one that played electro-rock, I'd probably treasure both. I'm quite the fanboy apparently.

I understand though, that after the first album they lost some of their line up, so making music the way they did might not have been possible anymore.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 15:05
^The one time I saw them (in 2007, excellent performance) they were a sextet, but now they seem to be a quartet so the change in style isnt that big of a surprise.
I like The Dark Third quite a bit, but the descriptions of AVO suggest they went in a direction I wouldnt like at all. How does Hammer and Anvil compare then?
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 15:20
^ It's a strong return towards the rock style of the debut, but the quality is not quite the same. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 00:21
Are we really listening to the same album here? I don't hear their first at all, it has AVO written all over it. Mine must be faulty.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 13:36
I loved The Dark Third but didn't like the direction they took on the last album. From what I've heard about the new one I wont be buying it.
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 14:30
I just got this one as well and sadly, I also think it is the weakest of the three albums to date.

I loved The Dark Third like everybody else and I was really surprised by how much I liked AVO. Even though it was going in a completely different direction, IMO it was a excellent album. I think "Deus Ex Machina" was my favourite track.

True, Hammer and Anvil has more rock and less electro-pop, but IMO the rock influences of H&A sound more like indie rock than prog. I don't really like that direction as much as the prog leanings of The Dark Third or the catchy electonics on AVO. Also I find that there isn't as much variety between the songs as on the previous two albums.

I probably need to listen to it a few more times, but those are my impressions after the first few listens. It's still a good album, but not as great as the first two.

Edited by FunkyM - November 25 2010 at 14:31
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 19:02
The intricate layering song construction of The Dark Third was one of the high points, IMHO, of the 00's. Tough to ever top it.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 21:21
I thought Hammer and Anvil was a really good combination of the styles of AVO and The Dark Third (both of which are great). The vocals are as strong as ever, and that's what makes this band better than most.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

SoundscapeMN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 23:53
it's good, and good for the sake of NOT sounding like The Dark Third. But overall, it includes what I would say are 4 throwaway tracks unfortunately. "Blitzkrieg" and "Open Insurrection" are totally ace though.

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 23:56
I thought the new album was very boring, repetitive, and unconvincing. Make space stuff or electronic stuff, but whatever Hammer and Anvil was...no.
 Post Reply Post Reply