Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you're younger than 18
    Posted: November 28 2013 at 10:04
I'm definitely NOT younger than 18 but I was when I first got into prog(I think I was about 15 when I started to really go in that direction). Anyway, it's cool that there are so many younger fans on here. It's good for the future of the genre. I'm well into middle age now and although I didn't get into this stuff when it was popular(prog was hardly popular in the eighties except for a few mainstream bands)it's good that it can survive now because of the internet and sites like this. It doesn't seem like young people on the whole are getting into prog though. They have to stumble upon it by accident or happen to have parents who are into it. There just aren't enough newer bands out there doing this that are popular enough for a younger audience to say "hey, is this prog? I like prog then!"
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 15:14
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

The only prog metal album I really like is Metropolis Pt. 2 and I find most other stuff either sort of dull and/or unbearable (like Mastodon, Opeth and even other Dream Theater albums, with the odd song exception)
Even though Mastodon is infinitely better than Dream Theater.

Yeah I think when I was younger I was really into Dream Theater but right now, I like Mastodon way more
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 14:53
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

The only prog metal album I really like is Metropolis Pt. 2 and I find most other stuff either sort of dull and/or unbearable (like Mastodon, Opeth and even other Dream Theater albums, with the odd song exception)
Even though Mastodon is infinitely better than Dream Theater.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by Tomgudge Tomgudge wrote:

Does anyone know why it says 'You do not have permission to start a new topic' to me when I try to make a new topic. Im a new member, does that have something to do with it?

Probably, I think you might have to make a few more posts, but I'm not sure Ermm
Tomgudge View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 14:09
Does anyone know why it says 'You do not have permission to start a new topic' to me when I try to make a new topic. Im a new member, does that have something to do with it?
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 13:05
Just about 14, started listening to prog 2 or 3 years ago, and I practically love it all except most krautrock/electronic stuff and extreme prog metal like Edge Of Sanity and Opeth, etc., although I love Rush and some other heavy prog. I also particularly like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and all of the typical prog bands that everyone's heard of Just started getting into more obscure bands gradually like VDGG, then PFM, then Natural Health/Egg.

Edited by Xonty - October 08 2013 at 13:07
JCDenton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 16:57
18 years old. Progdog since 16. The events leading up to my, ahem, "conversion" to Prog set me up so that I wouldn't like Prog Metal that much. I used to love music that had screaming, loud, fast playing, just masturbation of those impact elements. Not too much for dynamics. Then I got into more Classic Rock and Grunge (Dat Chris Cornell, maaan) and nowadays I'd rather listen to ambient music more than Screaming music, Grunge, or even Classic Rock. But I'm very into Prog now. My appreciation for Metal lessened for the most part because most of the groups just don't use the same creativity Rock does. They use those impacting elements we all love. We love when things crescendo, the fast playing, it's all good when it comes. But too much of it is just bland. It's like a roller coaster that doesn't go up or down, just straight.

My taste definitely leans towards Prog ROCK, but the Metal side isn't too bad. You'll see Dream Theater's songs amongst my favorite of all-time. The best artists are the ones who can balance out the sound they're producing. Not too much, not too little, just a little bit of everything. I love Neal Morse's "The Door". That song has its ups and downs. It covers Metal, but it's predominantly Rock.

Yeah, I'll say Prog Metal CAN be good. Not my preference. But it can definitely be good.
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by dog1995 dog1995 wrote:

I'm 18 and i am a huge fan of Pink Floyd! 

nice man!!
dog1995 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:23
I'm 18 and i am a huge fan of Pink Floyd! 
Mother, should i trust the government?
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:18
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

You are obviously not a guitar player.
Do you think that being a (good) guitar player automatically makes everything you say about guitars (or music in general) right? 

This may sound harsh, but your posts are generally too negative and immature.

Edited by Earthmover - October 01 2013 at 13:19
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Dean,

You are obviously not a guitar player.  But if you put enough distortion on one.. you could be I suppose.
Oh wow. 187 posts and you've finally said something I can almost agree with. Sadly, after 40 years of trying I have to face up to the reality that I'm not a guitar player, but unfortunately no amount of distortion will ever make me one, so at this stage in my life I must accept that I never will be.

I guess I'll just use my Kramer guitar & Vox amp as a pretty door-stop from now on.

What?
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 01:11
Dean,

You are obviously not a guitar player.  But if you put enough distortion on one.. you could be I suppose.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 19:54
I'm 8 years old and only listen to Magma and Genesis while having my own 1-man prog band (I play guitar, drums, bass drums, bass, timpani, and the singer).
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 18:55
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I am an ageless vampyre from the Bohemian wasteland.

Most prog fans are. Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 11:59
I was just thinking if you were younger than 18 when this thread was started you might not be anymore. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 01:37

I've deleted spam that was more relevant and on-topic than that last post.

What?
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 00:34
The more distortion you add to the electric guitar, the more dynamic you lose.  A great Prog Guitarist is going to have the full range at his fingertips to play light or hard when he wants for impact and everything in between.  Guitar pedals and effects are great when used more to color and texture the sound.  The metal prog players are missing the mark here when they dabble in the Prog arena.

Listen to Steve Hackett in Genesis and Howe in Yes.  That's how you do it.  They could sound heavy without sounding Metalish.  I'll nod to Page on Physical Graffiti also.  Great textures without sounding silly.

It's not what you play, it's what you say on your instrument.

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 00:11
I'll point out that as I've gotten older, I've actually developed more of an appreciation for metal than I ever had when I discovered prog during high school. I will, however, say that I'm very picky with my metal. It's really easy to screw it up, as with any other type of prog. They're just a lot louder about it when they make their mistakes haha
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 23:04
Doom!
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 21:23
I am an ageless vampyre from the Bohemian wasteland.  I listen to prog because it connects me with the life-force which gives me sustenance so that I can avoid sucking the blood of my innocent victims so often, giving me the chance to pursue family life, which would be impossible if I was always trying to bite the necks of my wife and children.  I find Yes to be very helpful for this (Jon Anderson was very in touch with cosmic consciousness) as well as maudlin of the Well (astral projection and all really gets the life forces flowing in the spiritual body). When I do get the urge to take a bite, however, people under 18 are my choice entrees because they only listen to prog metal, which I think is very close-minded and makes me want to get revenge on these young people who are killing prog by only wanting to listen to it if it has shreddy guitars and distorted power chords.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - September 29 2013 at 21:23
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>