Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you're younger than 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 04:41
I'm now 21, but I've been listening to 'classic prog' and neo-prog since I was 16. I never listened to prog-metal and I don't expect I ever will. Iron Maiden is the only metal I really like. Nowadays it's all about collecting prog-records on vinyl for me.

* edit

This was my first fibernazi post!

Edited by friso - November 28 2010 at 07:23
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 04:49
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

It's interesting what ROGERTHAT had to say about SEBTP, and Fragile and the outside circles not  thinking of those records as Rock classics. Wow, that's really sad when society doesn't even consider the meaning of real facts. False information really influences people's minds doesn't it?  

I think it's mainly because the critics never seem to have truly acknowledged these bands.  They couldn't stop people liking them in the 70s but they also made it as easy as possible for people to forget about them when prog faded away from the mainstream in the 80s by more or less pretending these albums were never made. Unlike those rock classics of which we are informed ad nauseum through various articles and lists. Yeah, it's a shame, if I had never heard of prog, I wouldn't know many of these amazing musicians existed, let alone know how great they were/are.
Thanks for your response! Great point! great observation
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 05:47

Great to see so many young people here and few are prog-metal only fans.
Actually I listened almost exclusively to prog till I was 17 or so.
There was no internet then but I spent virtually all of my free-time in libraries, loaning and taping about 20 LPs a week Geek

It confirms that listening to prog has nothing to do with age but is rather a matter of getting in touch with it and responding to it (or not). Thanks to the internet all of that is so easy now.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 06:18
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.Stern Smile

Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!

Again and again!

(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch

I'm 27 and on the computer at least 10 hours a day because I work at my home computer and I don't like crowds and I drink plenty at home thank you very much and I would kiss a girl but I'm married and I can't bend like I used to to do yoga of any sort and I can't fish worth a damn but I tried once and caught a leaf and I haven't owned a bike since I was 12 and the mountains are three hours away.

Also, I'm lazy.  Sleepy

Good answer RobertClapLOL

Moris made me think though, we did have some extra time in our pre-Internet youth.  What did we do?  Probably just watched more TV and played Dungeons and Dragons.  I'm quite sure the time wasn't filled with more girlsLOL

For me, it was NES and playing outside (generally acting out whatever I had done on NES).

But from 12 years on, I was in a relationship with a girl pretty much everyday until I married at 19.  Cool  I only had like 6 girlfriends during that span too, so I was a pretty committed fellow.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 07:18

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!

Again and again!

(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch

I'm 27 and on the computer at least 10 hours a day because I work at my home computer and I don't like crowds and I drink plenty at home thank you very much and I would kiss a girl but I'm married and I can't bend like I used to to do yoga of any sort and I can't fish worth a damn but I tried once and caught a leaf and I haven't owned a bike since I was 12 and the mountains are three hours away.

Also, I'm lazy.  Sleepy

You're composing prog. You're excused.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 07:44

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Again and again!

Also, I'm lazy.  Sleepy

You're composing prog. You're excused.

Handshake
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Don't worry young folks, it is allowed to like prog-metal.
We had Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin...
I confess that I listened to some early heavy metal when I was a teen, Judas Priest, AC/DC, MSG, UFO...  much of modern prog-metal is at least better than that.
Don't forget other stuff though, diversity is one of the key ingredients of the prog genre itself.

... and oh for gods sakes' Why the blazes to people think that:

A. Prog metal is juvenile and simplistic
B. That's the ONLY thing that us 'youngsters' listen to
C. Were seemingly not mature enough to appreciate the classics

Come on, get off your high horses. You need to understand that everyone is allowed to like classic prog whatever else they enjoy. It's not a genre reserved for die hards and it's not for just prog fans, and it's not something you earn the right to like... 

The attitudes of some of these 'older fans' are really getting to me now Angry

It was not meant badly, really, I was just meaning that it's perfectly OK to like metal from any time and at any age, there's quite a lot of metal in my music collection, from the earliest heavy rock to the proper heavy metal of Judas Priest or Van Halen to the prog metal of DT or Pain of Salvation and to the modern metal of Simphony X or Maudlin of the Well.

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 08:50

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Don't worry young folks, it is allowed to like prog-metal.
We had Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin...
I confess that I listened to some early heavy metal when I was a teen, Judas Priest, AC/DC, MSG, UFO...  much of modern prog-metal is at least better than that.
Don't forget other stuff though, diversity is one of the key ingredients of the prog genre itself.

... and oh for gods sakes' Why the blazes to people think that:

A. Prog metal is juvenile and simplistic
B. That's the ONLY thing that us 'youngsters' listen to
C. Were seemingly not mature enough to appreciate the classics

Come on, get off your high horses. You need to understand that everyone is allowed to like classic prog whatever else they enjoy. It's not a genre reserved for die hards and it's not for just prog fans, and it's not something you earn the right to like... 

The attitudes of some of these 'older fans' are really getting to me now Angry

It was not meant badly, really, I was just meaning that it's perfectly OK to like metal from any time and at any age, there's quite a lot of metal in my music collection, from the earliest heavy rock to the proper heavy metal of Judas Priest or Van Halen to the prog metal of DT or Pain of Salvation and to the modern metal of Simphony X or Maudlin of the Well.

Alright I'm sorry I directed this at you... It was not meant as a personal assault, just the fact that of course I don't just listen to prog metal, i have about as much of it as I have of every other prog-subgenre. It doesn't have to be one or the other, and for most people it isn't. The prog metal die hards are mostly from the metal community and like tehm as well as mainstream metal, whereas I don't listen to any of that
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 09:53
Anyone here who likes prog metal is a big doo doo head. LOL  Whenever we should stop to disagree, this site will become a cold dead place. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 10:05
I've been a big fan of prog rock since I was little, but I really started branching out in Middle school (12-14) when I discovered bands like Camel and Genesis (which immediately became my favorite band after listening to Foxtrot in its entirety) and finding more material from Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd. I also became interested in neo-prog around this time (Marillion, IQ and Pendragon). So when I was younger than 18 I was much more interested in just prog rock instead of prog metal (and it remains that way, though my love for metal is almost as great as prog rock).

Would you like some Bailey's?
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 10:06

Edited by SolarLuna96 - November 28 2010 at 10:06
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 11:54
FOR THE RECORD (what with old geezers saying that us hooligans don't appreciate the classics) I have at least 10 Genesis, 8 Camel, 10 Crimson, 11 Yes, and 12 Pink Floyd records in my collection (and I mean vinyl here!) plus most of VDGG's, Gentle Giant's, and tons of other classic prog bands discographies. 

Most of the younger people I know who like prog at least listen to some of the classics. 
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 12:34
Even if I do listen to mostly metal, I've never been in opposition to the classics.  I used to be a big classic rock guy so I was already listening to stuff like Yes and Floyd, which I still very much enjoy and since I've become a prog fan, this website has introduced me to the likes of Crimson and Gentle Giant, among others.  I'm still going back through many of the classic artist's discographies as well.
Mystery View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 12:41
I like both 70s stuff and more modern prog music, which is mostly metal. I don't really like a lot of 80s stuff, though.

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 13:24
I am 18 and I actually dislike most prog metal... with counted exceptions (Symphony X, Thought Chamber, some Dream Theater, Kings X, among others)
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 13:36
what i've learned on this site is that most peoples idea of prog is to listen to as many albums from each year since 1966 as is possible in a lifetime. 
I think what i've noticed is that young proggers tend to dwell on the classics while the older guys try to expand into the present rather than the other way round which i would have expected
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 13:53
Originally posted by Madhouse255 Madhouse255 wrote:

I'm 16 and listen to ALL types of Prog.

This.

Originally posted by Noak Noak wrote:

I'm 17. There are no prog bands I despise more than Porcupine Tree, Tool and Meshuggah. Except perhaps Marillion. I prefer Avant Prog and Zeuhl if we're talking Prog. Other than that I'm an avid fan of Free Jazz, Modern Classical music, Experimental Folk music, Noise and Drone.

Porcupine Tree is far from prog metal, except for about 15 songs.

And to be honest, I prefer listening to newer stuff than the classics. There's A LOT of great and original fresh music out there. 

For maximum musical experience, ignore that fella with the red-Charlie Sheen-with-horns-in-a-fiery-background avatar. I have a theory about his neophobia: he's 22 (probably born in 1988) and hates everything made by bands formed after 1989 because he suffered some trauma when he was a 1 year old baby.

Edited by Starhammer - November 28 2010 at 14:02
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 15:06
I'm exactly 18, do I qualify? Since age 16, I haven't been able to listen to metal, so I think so!!
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 15:11
Starhammer, he's Walter. Walter will be Walter.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 15:19
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

what i've learned on this site is that most peoples idea of prog is to listen to as many albums from each year since 1966 as is possible in a lifetime. 
I think what i've noticed is that young proggers tend to dwell on the classics while the older guys try to expand into the present rather than the other way round which i would have expected

Well I must disagree in my case but it's an interesting idea Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>