Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnimals As Leaders - beautiful heavy prog.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Animals As Leaders - beautiful heavy prog.
    Posted: November 28 2010 at 21:13
I saw Animals As Leaders in Mpls. a few weeks ago. Truly amazing band to take in live. Watching Tosin Abasi's 10 string guitar work & Navene Koperweis on drums is a real treat. (& Javier Reyes) The closest comparison would be beautiful moments of Bill Frisell-esk sound scapes that quickly retreat into the dark depths of John Zorn work (like Spillane, Praxis) mixed with the crazy heavy prog. of Steve Vai a la Alien Love Secrets. (my personal favorite from Vai) Watching Tosin Abasi's fret work was intriguing.  When I think of unique guitarists, the fact is, I've seen quite a host, but Abasi's style is quite different. Watching him play the chords & then serve up shredding leads & arpeggio's makes for a treat to any guitarist. During the set up of later bands the group hung out in the audience and talked with an array of people. Animals As Leaders are l personable individuals that shook my hand and we talked tunes for a few minutes. I enjoy the CD already but having the opportunity to meet them & enjoy their company is an experience I will always remember. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 23:20
Yes, amazing band and Tosin is just a god. 
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 23:20
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 23:21
Let's see: Iffy over-reverent first post that offers nothing but praise for some no-name modern buffoonery?

Reported!
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 23:21
Animals as Leaders are amazing and Tosin Abasi is one of the most important technical virtuosos in modern music, but you need to get your facts straight first.  10 string guitar?  AAL are heavy prog now?
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 23:34
Oh, I mistook the OP as saying he thought they should be in Heavy Prog. My bad. Embarrassed

Yes, AAL is indeed incredibly awesome.
kglenz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 18:23
Although I have been reviewing bands on this sight for over a year I only joined yesterday & since I just saw AAL I thought it might be a decent "hello". I just bought a CD from Eloy & Gong yesterday...is that better? I think AAL is a pretty current band & topic, particularly in the sense of current great live acts. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 10:43
Worry not, some folks get agitated when an artist appreciation thread is started in the artist appreciation section. And especially ignore those whose expectations are to limit your appreciation to their own limited context. As far as the errors...these things happen.

Regarding Animals as Leaders. I like. I especially appreciate an outrageously talented musician like Tosin Abasi who keeps his ego in check. In watching interviews and instructional videos with him I get a very humble vibe.
dtd350 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:15
AAL is the best new band that has come out in the past couple years that plays Progressively and I think will become more popular as time goes by.  I hear them quite a bit now on my Sirius Satellite Radio (Liquid Metal), which is an excellent thing!Thumbs Up  I haven't been this excited for this long about a band in a long time.  I bought the disc when it came out and have listened to it countless times and I am still really excited about it.
http://www.last.fm/user/dtd350
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:32
AAL are one of the most important bands of the moment. Tosin is a monster as is Bulb.

If you haven't checked out Cloudkicker's "The Discovery" you'll probably like it. Atmospheric djent, more arty than technical. But definitely in the AAL universe of music.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply