Topic ClosedGuru Guru

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guru Guru
    Posted: November 30 2010 at 10:27

Guru Guru is one of the pioneering German space rock/kraut rock bands. They have released numerous albums and they really need no more introduction. 

I got in touch with Mani Neumeier  for a small chat about Guru Guru.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with your personal history. Where were you born and what was your introduction to rock music, which at that time was regarded as a bit “risky” for young people ?

I was born in Munich on 31.12. 1940. I came from the Irene Schweizer Trio and I was the 
first freejazz drummer in Germany and Europe. After I heard Jimi Hendrix I wanted to play electric/amplified music. We - Uli Trepte bass and I started the idea and concept of GURU GURU.

When and where was Guru Guru formed ? By whom ? Who was your musical influences ?

This was spring 68,our first concert was 4.aug. 68 in Heidelberg, Germany. We were influenced by Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Coleman, Taylor, also by indian,african +other worldmusic + stockhausen+all kind of natur + citysounds + noises.

How was your first gigs and how did you get spotted by your first record label ?

Our first gigs where very free,noisy,spacy improvised sounds,chaotic+loud and in the end always police came. The pope of ,krautrock, -Kaiser was running for weeks behind us to get us for his new label Ohr. First we did not want to make a lp.

Each individual Guru Guru studio album is pretty different from each other so it is only fair that we run through each of them and you just add your own, short or long comments to them and what type of music we can find on them. 

Please tell us more about UFO from 1970

A milestone of the space/acid rock with me, uli t.+ ax genrich guitar

…..Hinten from 1971

With Conny Plank on the mixing desk, very compact and a great,clear sound. One of my favorits.

…...Känguru from 1972

Also produced with  Conny, supersound,- sold ca. 20.000  

…....Guru Guru from 1973

First influences of rockn roll+others.

…...Don't Call Us We Call You from 1973

Influences of, world + red indian music to hear.

….....Dance of the Flames from 1974

With Houschäng Nejadepur on guitar. Influenced by Mahavishnu Orchestra.

…......Mani und seine Freunde from 1975

My first solo lp with musicians from, kraan, + moebius(cluster) a.o. -very groovy album!

….......Tango Fango from 1976

Rock, pop, worldmusic, good produced - sold ca. 20.000

…......Globetrotter from 1977

Rocky, spacy, with guests from kraan...etc

…....Hey Du from 1979

Many different stiles, good produced, sold good.

…...... Mani In Germani from 1981

Influenced by our USA tour, a bit punky..

…........Guru Mani Neumeiers neue Abenteuer from 1983

Thommy Patexx, key chowmeier, bass -diff.stile-psycedelic too

….......Jungle from 1987

With Hans Reffert, guitar + other line up new influences

…........Shake Well from 1993

With Luigi Archetti guitar.+ Rasem Rübel, voc, bass spacy + rockn roll influenced

….......Wah Wah from 1995

with roland Schaeffer guitar + others, psycadelic + rocky

…...... Moshi Moshi from 1997

+ l.archetti, Peter Kühmstedt bass+H.Reffert guitar., a very nice record, many stiles, influ.by our Japan tour

….......2000 Gurus from 2000

Same line up, used many loops + el.drums, a bit loungy, spacy

….......In The Guru Lounge from 2005

Same people, rocky, loungy, jazzy

….. and finally; PSY from 2008

Same line up with guests , Chris Karrer-Amon Düül 2- Helmut Hattler+Jan Fride- Kraan, Moebius-Cluster, Uchihashi Japan...

You have also released a lot of live and compilation albums. Is there any of them you highly recommend and is there any of them you would warn us against ?

guru guru 2008 live....

22..in work...doublebind.. dec.2010

30 years guru guru live-98 ,-2 from 98 finkenbach festival with g.g. +musicians from ,can, ,-1 cd guru guru live 1971,a good feeling! 

1live cd  75, outcuts, bootleg, not good

You have cooperated with Bo Diddeley and other greats from the history of music. Please tell us more about these co-operations.

no,,sorry ,we did not cooperate with bo diddley, we only gave a song on ,,HINTEN his name.  

Was Guru Guru ever a part of a music scene or had any political affiliation during the 1970s which saw a a lot of political activities in the then West-Germany with the Baader-Meinhof gang and other leftist “movements” ?

Of course, we where and are still a part of the music scene, with over 3000 concerts since 1968, on our 40 years jubilee tour we had 69 concerts in 2008.
Yes, we had political affilations with the student movement and played sometimes in prisons.

What is your experiences with the record labels and the rest of the music industry ?

The experiences with the rec.labels was mostly not so good, they keep too much money for themself.

Your many live albums testify that Guru Guru was and is an active live band. Please tell us more about Guru Guru at stage.

Guru Guru on stage try to make more than only a concert, it is like a happening and I have a warm connection with the people. We want to make them happy.

What is your memories of Guru Guru and how do you think Guru Guru will be remembered in the next 200 years ?

I have 1000 memories of Guru Guru. And people will may be remember us for that music we made up with other krautrockgroups and listen our cds.
And if my waxfigure in the Tokyo Wax Museum is not melting away, people can still look at me, ManiSan of Guru Guru.

Is there any of today's music and bands you like ?

I like many,for instance Acidmotherstemple or Afri Rampo of Japan or Gong...

What is the future plans for yourself and Guru Guru ?

We play as long we can, bring out a new cd ,doublealbum, make this year 55 concerts in Europe and I go to Australia, New Zealand & Japan in 3 months and have gigs holidays.

What is your all time five favourite albums ?

Hinten, Känguru, Mani + Seine Freunde, Moshi Moshi and the new one.

Anything you want to add to this interview ?

Thank you for your interest and questions and forgive me for my strange English.

Thank you to Mani for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage here

snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 10:35
It was interesting to read it!
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:03
Agreed, thanks for this one! Clap
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:16
Nice! 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 17:10
UFO is one of my faves, thanks Torodd! Clap
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 10:46
Mani is not a man of many words. I like his "strange" English. I'm glad that I got everything right on the bio. It was kind of tough finding some details as not much has been written about the band suprisingly. I had to do a lot of translating. I'm sur a lot of people were suprised to find out that he was initially influenced by Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane & Miles Davs before he started with fusion experiments.

Good to see an interview with this legend and also great to hear that he is not running out of steam. The wax figure he is referring to can be seen on their website. It's pretty cool.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 03:26
Good work! Just found a vinyl reprint of Kanguru.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 10:42
Just did an interview with Ian Anderson. Finally!  We are distantly related.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 21:11
Hi,

I wonder how much his English really prevented him from saying more.

Guru Guru has a lot more to tell us and the stories are endless from the commune days to the political days to the free concerts to the jokes about East Germany (heard the last song of Tango Fango yet?) ... and such ...

So far, only Helmut has been open about his experiences and the time and place. And he did say one thing that is really important and is really what Guru Guru was all about most of the time ... and that was totally out front improvisation and anything goes ... and something always comes ... and the surprises are endless.

It's hard to not think Mani such a great person and musician ... you see his band with yet another guitarist ... and it still sounds good and comes up with new material and it is not a repeat of his previous stuff. I'm not sure we can ask more of any musician than that. But it is also a tribute to his ability to feel the moment and allow it to spread and stretch and help the folks around him find something else and something new.

Should pair this up with his own writings on the Guru Guru website ... there is a lot of really good stuff that makes the creation of the "krautrock" idea really important and creative. And we must remember that this happened parallel other arts, and specially film and theater and literature. I can't speak for the painting stuff in that area at all.

Ready for the bomb now? ... Dream Theater could really use Mani right about now!

Edited by moshkito - December 14 2010 at 21:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 19:32
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Mani is not a man of many words. I like his "strange" English.

He doesn't have to be!

Between the kazoos the little horns and all the other little toys and effects, he has everything he needs to say the most with the least!

And think about this ... and how so much of this was considered very political at one time ... and then Mani's response in the last song of "Tango Fango" ... it was about having fun ... with the music, not the politics ... and he is still wonderful to enjoy ... specially when Ax also shows up!  And the music was "it" ... not the politics ... as the example rips into Chuck Berry ... !!!

Clap  Smile

Edited by moshkito - February 25 2011 at 19:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 05:10
Thanks for Theme about this band. As for me, they are the quintessence of LSD-krautrock.
om mani padme hum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 14:04
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

Thanks for Theme about this band. As for me, they are the quintessence of LSD-krautrock.

Them and Amon Duul 2, all the way to "Hijack". After that AD2 falls off horrendously.
www.pedrosena.com
PJ20 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 05:44

Nice Interview. Must listen to their songs now.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 06:03
Good job. Thanks !
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 06:42
Sure, Krautrock is often dumbed-down within the Prog-rock sub-genre........
Mani Neumeier is No.1 when it comes to classic 'Kraut' drummer people when I take all these complexities in.....
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 18:55
It's cool that Mani rates his Mani And Friends album highly, it really sounds more like a Kraan album with the guys from that band helping out a lot with this one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:08
Seems the Progressive Vax museum in Tokyo Tower, has been closed in the meantime.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply