FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic changes as you age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music changes as you age
    Posted: December 03 2010 at 14:48
Hi, I'm 21 years old, and I've been listening to prog for 2 years now. It is now my favorite music, and I can't listen to anything else but prog. I talk about it to friends, I read prog reviews, I come on this website to expand my knowledge, and I listen to it everyday. What I'm concerned about is, will my music taste change as I age? I've gone through many other music stage, from oldies, to punk, to some alt. indie/rock, to 90's music, to Radiohead, to Pink Floyd, and then to Prog. I really love prog, and hope it's not just a stage in life Cry
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 14:52
It's up to you.

I've been listening to prog for around 40 years now.
It's not the only music I listen to, but it is always my favorite.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 15:08
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

...  I really love prog, and hope it's not just a stage in life Cry

My only suggestion is ... that you stop labelling music ... and convince yourself that only one style is what MUSIC is all about.

In the end, the only thing that you are finding is that the music is a bit more compatible with your thinking and understanding of things ... but it's sort of like saying that ... there is nothing out there in the world that is different from you ... and does different things.

From my multi-cultural background, I had "ideas" and "styles" already busted up in my early years ... and I can tell you that I don't listen to "prog" or "progressive" or some other over rated sh*t out there ... I listen to MUSIC ... and the rest is not important, specially the use of instruments ... in the end, you can hear a BrittonCelt do rock and ... the first thing you say is ... it's not prog, or some folk band tear up the word "folk" ... and you would say ... it's not prog ...

It's not about the color, or the shape or the country ... it's about the music!

You decide.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
zvinki View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 15:10
I am 50 years old and, although I have gone through different phases especially during those bleak 80's, I keep coming back to prog. It's the only type of music that consistently keeps me interested. I started with Rush, Yes, Genesis, moved through Marillion in the 80's, got interested in grunge during the 90's and then back to prog when I heard Tool's Sober. Now I have discovered a bunch of new bands that I give 95% of my listening time to. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Tool, Mars Volta, Dream Theater, IQ, Spock's Beard, Riverside, INDUKTI, Opeth to name a few. The real bonus right now is that my sons and I like the same music and go to concerts together. I didn't do that with my dad.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 15:19
From my own experience, it seems as if you always expand your horizons, but never stop enjoying your old favorites.

For example, when I first started to get into music, my favorite bands were The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I still love both of those bands, even though classic rock isn't my favorite genre anymore. Lately I've been listening to less and less prog rock, but I still love the genre. I never really stopped liking a particular genre of music - I just keep adding more genres to my horizons.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 15:30
It depends on how much variety of prog you investigate. If you research the history of prog in Japan, Italy, France, Mexico and other countries at age 21,....if you start doing that now, by the time you are in your 50's there will be some bands that you can go back to and still enjoy occasionally. Genesis, Yes, ELP, and King Crimson all wore thin on me. Maybe twice a year I might listen to them. Miles Davis, Frank Zappa, Univers Zero, and 20th Century Avant-Garde composers are more fitting to my everyday mood. Terry Riley "Rainbow In Curved Air" never grows tired. 

Jade Warrior used to be one of my most played bands. Now, some 30 years later I find myself only listening to their timeless works like Kites, Horizons, and Breathing the Storm. I still enjoy National Health, Stomu Yamashta, and many of the artists from the Celestial Harmonies label. I do not enjoy a wide variety of Electronic Music but, it does take me places in my old age that prog will not. Anglagard, Solaris, East, and Halloween are superb Prog bands and you should give them a chance. They do emulate the old prog bands which I dislike and that emulation is only to a small degree....as bands like these have minds of their own. One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to investigate different periods of a band's growth. For example, with a band like Guru, Guru.....you don't want to expose yourself just to their early period where they rocked out. It would be in your best interest to bend an ear to their jazz/fusion style releases as well. As you grow older, that particular period may appeal to you more. You have to go through the changes and investigate. Then when you are older, you will surely have something to drift back to. Instead of One Size Fits All every month, try Imaginary Diseases by Zappa instead. Collect the "off-beat" titles from bands and you will never be bored. If you like Genesis, try the odd titles by Anthony Phillips like Tarka. You gotta try the timeless pieces as much as possible ....because you are human and what seems timeless now, will simply not seem that way later in life.
Curutchet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:29
Of course music changes. I'm 20 years old and I've listened to a lot of different music over the past 10 years. There was classic rock and Genesis as a child because that's what my parents listened to (in a way I've returned to my roots) techno at 12-15, rap/reggaton (Sean Paul lol) at the same age. Then at 15 I discovered Prog Metal; I was really hooked. I didn't know such music existed. I then also embraced Prog rock.

I think you don't have to worry. Your heart will tell you when you've found the best music for you. You will know it's the right music when you really start to listen to it and feel it running through your body. That's what happenned to me with Prog. My feelings towards it has not changed in the past 5 years, and it's the only music that I love. That doesn't mean some other bands from other genres will not grab your attention from time to time...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:37
I got into prog in my late teens in a big way.  It's still my primary form of music that I enjoy, but I won't dismiss any other musical types.  A good 95% of my music is prog but hell, we can't even agree on what is really prog anyway.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:44
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

From my own experience, it seems as if you always expand your horizons, but never stop enjoying your old favorites.

For example, when I first started to get into music, my favorite bands were The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I still love both of those bands, even though classic rock isn't my favorite genre anymore. Lately I've been listening to less and less prog rock, but I still love the genre. I never really stopped liking a particular genre of music - I just keep adding more genres to my horizons.

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure you (the OP) will change of taste, but don't worry, you'll still be listening most of your favorite albums from Prog, at least I do eventually. Now I mainly listen to jazz and fusion, but there's always a moment when I want to change a bit of pace or style, etc, and put on a Deep Purple album or a classic Prog one.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:46
I started with prog in the mid 70's.......what it should do is allow you to explore other genres, probably jazz/fusion and other forms of prog rock.
Remember its just a label, don't get stuck on that.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:51
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I just keep adding more genres to my horizons.

Nahhhh ... I just keep expanding my horizons and enjoy the trip and don't give a damn abou the  genre's or styles. You either take a trip and love it all the way ... or quit right now! The real drug is not for you!

Embarrassed
Cool
Wink
Tongue

Edited by moshkito - December 03 2010 at 16:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 16:59
Progwise I started with ELP when I was 14 (in 1976) and they are still my favourite band.
I seem to remember having something of an epiphany about 15 years ago listening to Aqualung (the track) and just thinking that I'm always going to love prog rock... and so it came to pass.

Edited by richardh - December 03 2010 at 17:00
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 17:30

Hi, I'm 21 years old, and I've been listening to prog for 2 years now. It is now my favorite music, and I can't listen to anything else but prog. I talk about it to friends, I read prog reviews, I come on this website to expand my knowledge, and I listen to it everyday. What I'm concerned about is, will my music taste change as I age? I've gone through many other music stage, from oldies, to punk, to some alt. indie/rock, to 90's music, to Radiohead, to Pink Floyd, and then to Prog. I really love prog, and hope it's not just a stage in life Cry

Getting older, I tend to shun a bit of the more energetic and pompous sides of prog. I am getting more into the melancholic emotional side of the game, like Robert Wyatt. The more avant sides of prog, like Henry Cow et. al. is still interesting, maybe because it has a quality that not has so much to do with age. Bands like ELP and Yes has lost a lot of appeal to me though, maybe because of the youthful adolescent wicked sound they have. Likewise bands like Marillion, that was very important to me when I was younger, now got a ring of adolescent love affair that doesn't make to much sense anymore.

38 years and counting. I had to count the years to make sure how old I was :)

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 18:05
You change as you age, music stays the same. Therefore it would be safe to say one's perceptions changeSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 18:38
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

You change as you age, music stays the same. Therefore it would be safe to say one's perceptions changeSmile

Ah you beat me to it. Big smile
I think it's more that music ages as you change.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 03 2010 at 20:04
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 19:54
Genres are only labels for the sake of convenience, but to follow Moshquito's view, they can get in the way, especially when your musical horizons grow, and they will only if you let them.  I strongly advize that you do.  Good music is good music.  Keep listening to what truly moves you, and keep your mind and ears open.  There is a lot of good music out there, and it's not all categorized in the same genre.  So just . . . listen.  Cool
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 20:16
As for me, my taste has broadened a lot as I grow more knowledgeable about music. For a while I was listening to pretty much nothing but prog, but now I love dozens of styles. I wouldn't have it any other way. My enjoyment of my old favorites has not lessened, but I have such a richer appreciation of the art form than I did just a few years ago. Relax buddy, you'll be fine.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 21:14
I know a lot of people that loved prog back in the day, and now don't care about it any more.

Not my case and my closest friends, who have stayed with prog for almost 4 decades now. I guess if you really love and understand progressive music, and are not so concerned about labels but quality, not really happy with fashion but more interested in content, and like adventurous, challenging and innovative music, you'll be a prog fan for life.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 21:31

I really love prog, and hope it's not just a stage in life Cry

Why do you try to define your preferences by genres? Just try to find out what kind of musical approaches please you the most and look for that in music. Two of my absolute favourite artists date back to my school days - I am 25 - but one no more than about two years.  There's no end to discovery and some artists never get old though genres may.  I am more interested in the work of great artists for I seriously doubt any genre is inherently bad or inherently perfect.
Tengent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 23:06
I sometimes think about that. But if your tastes change, know that it is ALWAYS for the better. Recently I've been listening to less prog and more electronica. Just cuz that's what I like at the moment.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>