Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush- Clockwork Angels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush- Clockwork Angels
    Posted: December 09 2010 at 20:11
Hey PA!

Didn't know where to put this topic so I just kind of put it here, move it if you like.

Just saw the wikipedia article for Clockwork Angels, Rush's new album (I was spurred on because I got my tickets to see them next summer!). At the end, it says the following about the title track:

In late August, Lifeson remarked that an additional three songs were almost complete and that the album is turning out to be very musically diverse. In particular, Lifeson refers to the nearly finished title track "Clockwork Angels" as an "epic song" and a "multi-parted piece". He describes it as "very dynamic".

Now, if this is true, could this "epic song" be a return to their prog roots? What do you think?

Oh and is anyone else really really excited for this album? After hearing Caravan/BU2B, I sure am! (Check my review for that EP.)

Later folks.
Raphitray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 20:15
Probably a 10 minutes epic....not more....I'm looking forward for this album....cant wait !!!
Show Don't Tell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 20:26
Hell yes I'm excited!! I hope they do a longer, proggier song, but really, I'll take what I can get. I'm just upset they chose to tour in 2011 instead of finish up the album and release it.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 20:43
I really do not know what to think. Their golden period is long gone and most of their latter albums are more like hit or miss. I'd rather wait and see what would that turn out like.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by jpthehp jpthehp wrote:

Hey PA!

Didn't know where to put this topic so I just kind of put it here, move it if you like.

Just saw the wikipedia article for Clockwork Angels, Rush's new album (I was spurred on because I got my tickets to see them next summer!). At the end, it says the following about the title track:

In late August, Lifeson remarked that an additional three songs were almost complete and that the album is turning out to be very musically diverse. In particular, Lifeson refers to the nearly finished title track "Clockwork Angels" as an "epic song" and a "multi-parted piece". He describes it as "very dynamic".

Now, if this is true, could this "epic song" be a return to their prog roots? What do you think?

I think Rush will never make "prog" as we know it, ever again.  Yet with the release of every new album for many years now, for some reason, hope springs among their fans that it will be 2112 pt. 2 or something.  Very odd.  I mean, they stopped making that kind of music a really long time ago...
jpthehp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:39
Well, for me, I have never disliked a Rush album. Every album they have made has been solid. But Snakes and Arrows, to my ears, sounded pretty proggy, even if it didn't have any extended tracks. While I doubt they'll go all the way back to 2112, I hope the new album will be something like Cygnus X-1 Book 1, short but still epic in its own way. And I have never thought that every new album will be "2112 pt. 2" as you say, I have always just hoped for a new album. With every new album Rush alters their sound and progresses from their last album. So, if there was a "2112 pt. 2" I guess it would be okay, but it would be strange because it wouldn't be a progression from their last album. So, Rush won't do another 2112 because it is not what they intend. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 21:47
Originally posted by jpthehp jpthehp wrote:

Well, for me, I have never disliked a Rush album. Every album they have made has been solid. But Snakes and Arrows, to my ears, sounded pretty proggy, even if it didn't have any extended tracks. While I doubt they'll go all the way back to 2112, I hope the new album will be something like Cygnus X-1 Book 1, short but still epic in its own way. And I have never thought that every new album will be "2112 pt. 2" as you say, I have always just hoped for a new album. With every new album Rush alters their sound and progresses from their last album. So, if there was a "2112 pt. 2" I guess it would be okay, but it would be strange because it wouldn't be a progression from their last album. So, Rush won't do another 2112 because it is not what they intend. 

Prog is in the ear of the beholder - S&A wasn't terribly progressive, a very solid rock album IMO - but I agree with your final statement, Rush is making the music they want to make.

There are people that are honestly hoping for a return to the 70s style, is all I'm saying - understandable to a certain degree, but not in any sort of comportment with reality.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 06:02
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. The previews I heard were a mixed bag IMHO, so I'm not getting too excited. Will wait until it's released and decide then.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 06:12
I am geting excited tho Snails and Barrows did not have a major impact on me - it grew on me as live DVD songs but not anywhere as good as their classic of the 70s and 80s. What I have heard so far is excellent on the single though so hopefully that is what we will get on this album, and yes, please, a long epic!

hear these!

EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 07:09
I think Rush is stuck-- Loved the harsher feel of Vapor Trails, but Snakes and Arrows only had only 4 or 5 decent tracks IMO (pretty much the first 5-- love Spindrift). I put the Caravan/B2B releases with the lesser tunes of S&A. Epic length song or not, No-- I'm not optimistic.
--EnderEd
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 11:08
I am really looking forward to Clockwork Angels.  I think it will in fact be their proggiest in quite some time.  Will it be a complete return to the 70s?  I doubt it, but I don't think I will be dissappointed.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:11
Rush left the 70's behind in the 70's with Moving Pictures, their greatest album. Let's hope for an improvement on Snakes & Ladders.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Rush left the 70's behind in the 70's with Moving Pictures, their greatest album. Let's hope for an improvement on Snakes & Ladders.
I f its better than S and A I will be wrapped..... that was quite a downturn in style for me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:54
I love Snakes and Arrows, but then again, I am a fanboy.
Johnnytuba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:19
First off, I am a huge Rush fan.   When I bought S & A I only like a few tracks.  However, the more I listened to it, the more I found parts that I like in every song.  Right now, I really like the two albums they have released in the 2000's.  I am also quite fond of Caravan and lesser fond of Bu2b. 

Clockwork Angels should be a very solid release for the band.  They have been playing music together for a long time now and understand the kind of music that they want to make.  I can't wait to hear the epic track on the album, I am sure Rush will do it up right.  I feel like they have some of their best songs ahead of them.
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:25
I am not very excited by this new release after listening the first two songs, but i am not going to wait very long before buying the complete album. Yes there will be a epic song, but in no way the band will return to the sound of their prog days. But a so so Rush album is better than a lot of music these days.
cabalaska View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:41
I think Nick Raskulinecz, the produce or S&A, the two new songs and the upcoming release Clockwork Angels, is having a major impact on the direction and style of Rush.  He has been a die-hard fan for years and has been begging them to take a nostalgic music trip/return--if you will.  He's been on them for a while to do a concept record, and both Lifeson and Peart have described the upcoming release as a concept piece. And Lifeson has described the Clockwork Angels song as "epic" in several places.  

I for one am excited about this new material, however I'm with "show don't tell", i wish they would have worked on and released the album prior to the UK tour.  But they have had a blast doing the Time Machine tour and it's only fitting that they take Moving Pictures to the UK and Europe.  As long as they continue to play and record, I don't care when it comes out, just as long as it keeps coming.  
jpthehp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 14:08
I personally loved S&A, although it was a little lengthy, you can't deny the brilliance of The Main Monkey Business, one of their greatest song. It seems as though Caravan took the complexity and brilliance of TMMB and made it into an epic rocker, brilliant in every way. Loved BU2B as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply