FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 12:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Thankfully, Frankie went to Hollywood, and not NYC
Now Frankie's lead singer has HIV (seriously). Learned that on one of those "whatever happened to" shows.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 04:20
Damn...that would've been amasing to hear. Hawknose Harlequin at over 27 minutesShocked Just so happens to be my absolute fave cut on CiB. That's not to say the rest of the album is below par - far from it. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 03:10
Love, love, LOVE Carnival In Babylon. I would pay good money to hear the 27 minute Hawknose Harlequin. It seems too short at 9 mins whatever.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 02:41
two little known facts about Amon Düül's "Carnival in Babylon". some people consider it not to be up to their preceding albums and think they lost inspiration and ambition, but that's not true.

1) "Kronwinkl 12" was the address for the house they lived in, so that track is somewhat autobiographical.

2) the album was originally planned as a double album again, but the producer did not want another double album after "Yeti" and "Tanz der Lemminge". the track "Hawknose Harlequin" (arguably the best track on the album) was originally over 27 minutes long but had to be cut short. cursed be all producers who interfere with the ambitions of bands and ruin their best ideas

Edited by BaldJean - February 19 2016 at 03:15

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 02:05
Dave Pegg loved cashews.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 01:58
the opening bars of Mother Gong's "The Three Tongues" from their album "Fairy Tales" are taken from Maurice Ravel's "Introduction and allegro for harp, flute, clarinet and string quartet", with a little change in one note that I consider to be an improvement.

here the original by Ravel; the relevant part starts shortly before the 2 minute mark:

I am curious about your opinion: do you also consider the slight change by Mother Gong an improvement? for me it builds a little extra tension to not just repeat the little 8-note phrase exactly but put a twist on the last note in the repetition

Edited by BaldJean - February 19 2016 at 03:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 21:37

Kit Watkins advertised his first solo album “Labyrinth” in Rolling Stone.  I believe that’s where it first came to my attention.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 11:41
On The Rolling Stones album "There Satanic Majesties Request" John Lennon and Paul McCartney sing backup on "Sing This All Together". Also, on the album cover, if you look closely on the sides you can find all four faces of The Beatles
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 21:14

The instrumental middle section of Can You Understand by Renaissance was taken from an original piece by Maurice Jarre written for the score of “Doctor Zhivago.”  This is where the band got it from, but the tricky thing is, they assumed at the time that it was based on a Russian folk tune which was in the public domain.  Any hassles over copyright infringement were quickly settled, and on some more recent releases, like the King Biscuit CD, Jarre is credited for that section.

I was unaware of all this the first time I saw “Dr. Zhivago” in the early 80s, though I recognized that piece right away.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:26
Thankfully, Frankie went to Hollywood, and not NYC
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 09:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm currently sprucing up my sister's old vinyl collection - not so obscure, but fact.....ha ha.....
I was cleaning up her Frankie Goes To Hollywood (man, those guys scare me.....) Pleasuredome album and noticed Steve Howe guested on a track !! I guess, it was produced by Trevor Horn.

Yeah I have that album and CD----Steve comes on briefly and does some great playing---totally recognizable as Howe guitar----and yes Horn called in his friends.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 03:53
I'm currently sprucing up my sister's old vinyl collection - not so obscure, but fact.....ha ha.....
I was cleaning up her Frankie Goes To Hollywood (man, those guys scare me.....) Pleasuredome album and noticed Steve Howe guested on a track !! I guess, it was produced by Trevor Horn.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:54
When progressive rock band Quatermass played live, and they did their upcoming (but not yet recorded) single "One Blind Mice" in concert, John Gustafson would sing the opening lines of the Deep Purple song "Bloodsucker" (off of their album "In Rock"), incorporating them into the Quatermass number.
         "Got Black Breast Chinese eyes, got an English brain that's gonna make me wise".
            The recorded "One Blind Mice" song does not have that lyric in it.
jkl2001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkl2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 08:29
Marillion drummer Ian Mosley once played with Chicago-area neo-prog band Big Picture.

ONCE!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 02:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 14:58
Some of ex-Tangerine Dreamer Peter Baumann's third solo album, Repeat Repeat (the first one to feature vocals and music in a decidedly mainstream direction compared to his previous solo albums, and work with Tangerine Dream), was recorded at Jan Hammer's Red Gate studio in New York.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:35
Rick Wakeman's dad, Cyril Wakeman, was a director of Nicholls & Clarke in the East End of London, "an empire of ironmongery and sanitaryware that contained a hidden warren of semi-criminal subcultures":

Originally posted by Professor Richard Hobbs Professor Richard Hobbs wrote:

After I left school, I worked as an office boy in Great Eastern St. That was awful, I couldn’t stand office work, so I worked as a dustman and street sweeper. I did all sorts of things, but whenever I needed work I could always ask my father to call up one of the Directors at Nicholls & Clarke, Cyril Wakeman – father of Rick Wakeman – and get me work at twenty pounds a week, cash in hand, to pick up toilets. Cyril liked to talk about Rick’s success, his latest hit and how much the latest tour in America made and which page three girl he was dating. And at the end, he’d always ask how I was doing but I wasn’t dating page three girls, I was lifting toilets.

Very interesting article, though of tangential relevant to prog! 

BTW there is no suggestion that Cyril Wakeman was involved in any of the criminal activities that went on Nicholls & Clarke's basement.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 13 2015 at 04:37
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:15
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:47
^Penis rock and the top is a vagina spewing out liquid?
vdlluca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdlluca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 13:42
I didn't read through all the post or you may already know but look at this:
(Uriah Heep - Demons & wizards cover)

Edited by vdlluca - February 12 2015 at 13:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>