Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 17:22
Re EJ, he did not "fail" the "audition" for Gentle Giant.  As one person noted, EJ played part of a tour with Derek and Ray Schulman's first band.  And he did audition for what became Gentle Giant.  But he wanted to add his own songs as well, and the band was not interested.  Re Crimson, many were called, one was chosen.

Re Queen, while Brian May does (not quite obscurely) have a degree in astrophysics, during the 1970s, Queen was (more obscurely) one of only two rock groups in which every member had a four-year college degree.  (The other was 10CC.)  May actually had two degrees, one in Astrophysics and one in Electronics, John Deacon also has a degree in Electronics, Freddie Mercury held a degree in Art History (he designed the Queen crest), and Roger Taylor was (and is) a licensed (and practicing) dentist.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 17:01
^ Actually the 2 man group was known as Hansson and Karlsson at the time (they're on PA), and Hendrix had been jamming with them and was supposed to be joining up with them for some project or recording, one of the many options on his plate when he passed away, and yes, Hansson wrote Tax Free.

Edited by Easy Money - December 12 2010 at 19:47
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalterDigsTunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 16:47
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

On the cover of my vinyl copy of Lord of the Rings it's written that Jimi Hendrix was used to jam with Bo Hansson and he's likely playing uncredited on this album.
Hansson did once admit that he owned tapes of them jamming together but refused ever to release them. I would imagine that those tapes are now lost forever. Cry
Any truth to Bo Hansson writing the instrumental "Tax Free" for Hendrix?

I don't know if it was written for Hendrix, but on "Live at Winterland" Jimi makes specific note about the Swedish guys who wrote the tune.

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - December 12 2010 at 16:47
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 16:15
Robert Fripp recorded an album's worth of material with a witch. I'm not too sure when he put this plan in motion. The Lizard or Islands period maybe? I believe it was titled Abracadabra. I remember reading something about it a long time ago. It may have been written about in Syd Smith's book. There was an actual description of an LP. Side 1 and 2. I doubt Fripp will ever release it.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 12:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

On the cover of my vinyl copy of Lord of the Rings it's written that Jimi Hendrix was used to jam with Bo Hansson and he's likely playing uncredited on this album.
Hansson did once admit that he owned tapes of them jamming together but refused ever to release them. I would imagine that those tapes are now lost forever. Cry
Any truth to Bo Hansson writing the instrumental "Tax Free" for Hendrix?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 12:23
Jazz icon Miles Davis liked, and sometimes commented on, the music of German band Embryo

guitarist Eddy Marron was chosen as a musician for the Olympic games in Innsbruck, Austria in the sixties

Atomic Rooster's 1983 album Headline News features Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd as a guest guitarist
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave-the-rave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 11:34
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

Not too obscure, but Randy Jackson of "American Idol" fame did bass & backing vocals on Journey's 1986 "Raised on Radio".

Not too obscure, and not too prog on either end.
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave-the-rave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 11:34
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

Not too obscure, but Randy Jackson of "American Idol" fame did bass & backing vocals on Journey's 1986 "Raised on Radio".

Not too obscure, and not too prog on either end.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ergaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 09:46
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Great topic although at the same time it's frustrating to realise how little I know...

Indeed. 

But think of how much more you know now.

Big smile

Edited by ergaster - December 12 2010 at 09:47
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarke2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 14:32
Prior to forming a Croatian prog band Time, guitarist Vedran Bozich jammed with the guy below.

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 13:07
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Lake's resistance to Tarkus was based on hearing Emerson play him Eruption on a piano in Keith's London flat (he had not heard the remainder of the suite at that point and suggested Keith confine such music to a solo album!?)
You have to remember that of the three, Greg's gifts were more melodic than technical, and judging by his solo material, undoubtedly had the most conservative tastes of the trio.

And we haven't heard what it was that Keith actually played to Greg. We only have the end result, which Greg produced and contributed to.

Anyway, here's an obscure fact from the time of early Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett had a Jimmy Page complex of sorts so he wanted David Gilmour to join the band, to take on the solo guitar duties. He never asked though, because David already had his own band, Joker's Wild.

Source: a letter Syd wrote to his girl friend Libby Gausden, cited in Mark Blake's book Pigs might fly.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 11:44
Roger Hodgson was asked to replace Jon Andersons role as lead singer,after Jon left the band in the 90s, he also co-wrote a track on the album Talk - called Walls

but he said no
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lozlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 11:25
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Most everyone knows the sordid tale of the breakup of Kansas.  Following the incredibly divided recording of 1981's Audio-Visions, Steve Walsh told Kerry Livgren to stick the Christianity up his arse and departed.  Kerry would carry on for a brief while with stand-in John Elfante, then dissolve the group following the nadir album of their career, Drastic Measures.

That's not too accurate either, the radical Christian musicians  (Livegren,  and Dave Hope) left the band after the New Year''s final presentation on December 31, 1983.

They didn't dissolved Kansas, simply left because Kerry believed that Kansas didn't represented his Christian world viewand  he formed AD

With contracts to honour, Kansas had to follow, so .Elefante, Ehart, and Williams recorded one more song called "Perfect Lover" that appeared in the 1984 retrospective album "The Best of Kansas" and John left.

The problem is that  only Phil Ehart and Rich Williams stayed as members of the band, so instead of quiting, Ehart  started the resurrection of Kansas in 1985, he searched for Walsh, who accepted to come back  being that Livegren wasn't in the band, but he came with a surprise, the bassist of "Street" Billy Greer and they recruited Steve Morse to release the "Power" album in 1986.

Iván

Gracias for the clarification.  I was obviously much more excited about conveying the info concerning their 'lost' record...amusing that I would gloss over the known info instead.

When Freddie Mercury first grew his mustache at the onset of the 80s, the band's fan club was bombarded with fan letters accompanied by black nail polish and razor blades.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 10:38
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Most everyone knows the sordid tale of the breakup of Kansas.  Following the incredibly divided recording of 1981's Audio-Visions, Steve Walsh told Kerry Livgren to stick the Christianity up his arse and departed.  Kerry would carry on for a brief while with stand-in John Elfante, then dissolve the group following the nadir album of their career, Drastic Measures.

That's not too accurate either, the radical Christian musicians  (Livegren,  and Dave Hope) left the band after the New Year''s final presentation on December 31, 1983.

They didn't dissolved Kansas, simply left because Kerry believed that Kansas didn't represented his Christian world viewand  he formed AD

With contracts to honour, Kansas had to follow, so .Elefante, Ehart, and Williams recorded one more song called "Perfect Lover" that appeared in the 1984 retrospective album "The Best of Kansas" and John left.

The problem is that  only Phil Ehart and Rich Williams stayed as members of the band, so instead of quiting, Ehart  started the resurrection of Kansas in 1985, he searched for Walsh, who accepted to come back  being that Livegren wasn't in the band, but he came with a surprise, the bassist of "Street" Billy Greer and they recruited Steve Morse to release the "Power" album in 1986.

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 08:23

What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 07:18
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 07:15
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there any band/artist that Phil Collins hasn't played for? LOL
Phil Collins played on Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 07:05
Probably not very obscure either but here it goes...
The track Birthright in ABWH was actually written by Howe for GTR and can be heard in the bootleg "Nerotrend, the unreleased 2nd GTR album" with the name "This World's Big Enough". Anderson would change the lyrics into the opposite "this world ain't big enough".
The track appears also in Yes, Relatives and Frieds and Howe's solo album Homebrew with the name Red and White so it has appeared with at least 3 different names.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 06:46
Lake's resistance to Tarkus was based on hearing Emerson play him Eruption on a piano in Keith's London flat (he had not heard the remainder of the suite at that point and suggested Keith confine such music to a solo album!?)
You have to remember that of the three, Greg's gifts were more melodic than technical, and judging by his solo material, undoubtedly had the most conservative tastes of the trio.

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 11 2010 at 08:24
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 05:31
no I trust you, I just suspect he was pleased with the result (as you suggest)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 52>