Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

But Olias Of Sunhillow is irrelevant to this,isn't it?

Jon Anderson and Vangelis became friends and released that album instead ... I have a feeling that it was what Jon Anderson was hoping to do with YES after TFTO, that got shot down ...

I may be wrong of course but as far as I am aware Vangelis has nothing to do with that album. As for the rest..well your just making it up.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 10 2010 at 15:33
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:46
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Vangelis......

chefrobb View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:55
Karn Evil 9 was the music for the local evening news in LA in the mid 70's.
chefrobb
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 15:57
Originally posted by chefrobb chefrobb wrote:

Which bit?
chefrobb View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:00
Peter Gabriel played flute on a Cat Stevens track....not sure which.
chefrobb
chefrobb View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:01
The opening of "side" 2
chefrobb
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalterDigsTunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:17

Jon Anderson and Vangelis became friends and released that album instead ... I have a feeling that it was what Jon Anderson was hoping to do with YES after TFTO, that got shot down ...

I may be wrong of course but as far as I am aware Vangelis has nothing to do with that album. As for the rest..well your just making it up.

No way, Mosquito spewing nonsense? I find that oh so hard to believe LOL
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarke2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 16:50
Prior to picking up a flute, Ian Anderson was toying around with guitar. He sold it to a guy from another local Blackpool band - The Rockin' Vicars (an older friend of mine saw them live, they played in Yugoslavia in '65) . The guy later changed it for a bass, and formed Motorhead.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 17:23

Peter Gabriel played flute on a Cat Stevens track....not sure which.
Yep, Gabriel plays the flute on Katmandu!
I only recently discovered Cat Stevens' 18-minute long Foreigner-suite, from 1973, which might not be all that progressive but its the thought that counts!  LOL
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 17:44
Cat Stevens music is great, but not more Prog than Donovan. 

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 18:06
not less prog either
What?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 19:39
Not Prog at all IMO.

Iván

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:17
Apparently, after Rick Wakeman left Yes, Chris Squire (I think, maybe it was Jon Anderson) called up Keith Emerson and offered him a position in Yes as a keyboardist. Keith declined, since he had just gotten back from an American tour of his own successful band.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:30
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Vangelis......

I have the newspaper article. It's part of the material I have offered to the PA via Dean ... but he hasn't read the email or responded to it.

I wanted to find a repository for my insane cabinet of articles, press materials and all kinds of stuff.

That Snow Dog doesn't believe me ... that's ok ... he wouldn't know Vangelis from a stick in the mud, I don't think, and he has never heard Apphrodite's Child, which had sold more albums than Yes, up until the time of Fragile ... and you can read a lot of these things on Wiki as well.

I have never invented anything here, so you know who the people are that have no interest in believing some things that were there ... you see ... black this and that never happened in America ... the VietNam was didn't exist ... the IRA stuff was a joke ... KC was about jagged guitars and odd time signatures, not about the time and place ... the typical type of material and information that goes a long way to show how comercial music and top ten should be ... never an artist!

And PA's supposed "Admins" are not demonstrating knowledge and intelligence and making sure their group doesn't come off as petty, and stupid -- and full of sh*t!

Edited by moshkito - December 10 2010 at 20:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:33

Which bit?

It was specially big on KMET with several of their folks ... and this was a few years before the station was closed down when they got in trouble and it became "The Wave" ... you can just about read all about it on the album "Radio KAOS". Jim Ladd was from KLOS then, I think. And Joe Collins (KMET) was also doing his weekly jazz show (a pretty good one too!) in Santa Barbara on KTYD ... and it was right after Joe's show that Space Pirate Radio lived for many years.

Edited by moshkito - December 10 2010 at 20:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lozlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:40
Most everyone knows the sordid tale of the breakup of Kansas.  Following the incredibly divided recording of 1981's Audio-Visions, Steve Walsh told Kerry Livgren to stick the Christianity up his arse and departed.  Kerry would carry on for a brief while with stand-in John Elfante, then dissolve the group following the nadir album of their career, Drastic Measures.

What fewer people know is that, at the time of Walsh's leaving, the band had already laid down the preliminaries to the follow up to Audio-Visions.  Whether or not the album was going to be called Vinyl Confessions is open to debate, but the rough demos contain numerous tracks later recorded with John Elfante.  The result is a lost Kansas record, more or less, featuring numerous tracks that can't be found elsewhere in the band's discography in any form (though some would later be recorded by Walsh and Livgren as solo tracks).  Standouts include It's Almost 1984, Gun Runner, Breakout, and the epic Livgren track Children of the Shadows.  Sadly the tapes are in an advanced state of decay, and the band has shown no interest in their remastering; still, it's a cluster of excellent demos well worth hunting down (I believe the most common bootleg title is 'Finyl Confessions').  Had Steinhardt laid down more material (only three of the tracks feature any noticeable violin), I would gladly proclaim these abandoned sessions as the best Kansas record since Point of Know Return.

Edited by Lozlan - December 10 2010 at 20:49
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:45
Hi,

Tangerine Dream ... the club that brought out a lot of the electronic folks, including Tangerine Dream, was originally owned by Chris Franke's family!

Puts a different spin on Neu, Kluster, Harmonia, Faust, Tangerine Dream, Agitation Free, Kraftwerk ... and many of those early electronic folks! Someone likes the music and allows it to play left and right and one day ... it hits big!

Can had two members of their band that were Stockhausen students ... so all you progressive folks that have this idea that prog is not educated and only played by people that only know rock'n'roll and how to count to 4 ... check again, please!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:50
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Most everyone knows the sordid tale of the breakup of Kansas.  Following the incredibly divided recording of 1981's Audio-Visions, Steve Walsh told Kerry Livgren to stick the Christianity up his arse and departed.  Kerry would carry on for a brief while with stand-in John Elfante, then dissolve the group following the nadir album of their career, Drastic Measures.

If I can find a really old "Wizardo" catalogue, I'm almost sure that a lot of that stuff was available as a bootleg ... and that it had also been around for some time ... but the band couldn't decide how to handle it, or had personnel issues already ... the titles appear to be familiar. The Wizardo catalogue I had was from 1979 or 80. It came as a sleeve on another bootleg.
www.pedrosena.com
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 20:52
Lemmi from Moterhead was an ELP roaddie. He once gave Emerson a knife so he could stab his hammond so it would hold a single note.

Edited by andyman1125 - December 10 2010 at 20:53
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:15

Vangelis wasn't creatively involved in Olias as far as anyone knows, and both he and Jon have said that he wasn't involved creatively. Jon did use a ton of Vangelis gear from synths, mics to percussion instruments for the recording (which is why a lot of the synth sounds and ethnic influence sounds like Vangelis), although there's no concrete evidence to support the claims. There was a rumour that Vangelis was going to be involved on Olias of Sunhillow, but the rumour says that Jon's record company at them time didn't give Vangelis the go-ahead to be involved. I doubt it'll ever be truly proven either way, although I can't see any real reasons for both Jon and Vangelis to straight-up deny it if it didn't happen.
Quote ..... there has been widespread speculation that Vangelis contributed to the album, with some fans going so far as to say that Olias represents the kind of sound that Yes would have created if Vangelis had in fact joined the band. However, both Vangelis and Anderson have denied that they collaborated on the album, and it must be noted that Olias sounds markedly different from the five albums that Jon and Vangelis did actually produce together in the late 70s and early 80s.

http://olias.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/about-jon-andersons-olias-of-sunhillow/
Originally posted by Vangelis Vangelis wrote:

When the record came out, the people of RCA with whom I am under contract invited me and told me it wasn't very nice to have played on the record, without warning. But that's ever more curious since I haven't played on it and they were convinced of having recognized my sound. I myself was very surprised it had my name on the thank you-list. Maybe I have influenced Jon, I don't know. And it's clear that it's closer to this than you get with Yes. But maybe it's a coincidence. In any case, it's a formidable feat there is such a record when it features like Jon a debutante on keyboards. I believe the record represents more the way he is than what he does with Yes, no offense intended.

http://relayer35.com/Yescography/oliasofs.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>