Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 21:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

How exactly do they 'trump' Dire Straits? Knopfler is an excellent guitar player and musician.

Dire Straughts is a band whose music leaves me colder than a dead trout left for three years on the antarctic tundra without a woolly muffler, regardless of the musicianship of one of its members, they play a barely passable imitation of ersatz southern americana replete with whining nasal singing that sounds not unlike the plaintive cries of a pregnant heifer watching the final episode of some dreary bovine soap opera about a really sick calf on life-support while listening to the entire works of Leonard Cohen played at half-speed. If they actually came from the good old you ess of aye then I'd probably give them a free pass and quietly ignore everything they ever produced, but they don't, they're a bunch of Englishmen from bloody Newcastle and that, is unforgivable.

And they ain't Prog.

Long-winded enough for ya?

Did you forget to take your happy pills today....? ......plenty long winded even for you....oh  they ain't prog but what has that to do with anything?
And you wish in your wildest dreams, assuming  long winded curmudgeons even have dreams, you could play guitar like Knopfler.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 23:58

How exactly do they 'trump' Dire Straits? Knopfler is an excellent guitar player and musician.

Dire Straughts is a band whose music leaves me colder than a dead trout left for three years on the antarctic tundra without a woolly muffler, regardless of the musicianship of one of its members, they play a barely passable imitation of ersatz southern americana replete with whining nasal singing that sounds not unlike the plaintive cries of a pregnant heifer watching the final episode of some dreary bovine soap opera about a really sick calf on life-support while listening to the entire works of Leonard Cohen played at half-speed. If they actually came from the good old you ess of aye then I'd probably give them a free pass and quietly ignore everything they ever produced, but they don't, they're a bunch of Englishmen from bloody Newcastle and that, is unforgivable.

And they ain't Prog.

Did you forget to take your happy pills today....? ......plenty long winded even for you....oh  they ain't prog but what has that to do with anything?
And you wish in your wildest dreams, assuming  long winded curmudgeons even have dreams, you could play guitar like Knopfler.

LOL
What? You still don't get when an Englishman is taking the piss out of you? If I could play guitar as well as Knopfler I wouldn't waste that skill playing guitar like Knopfler and certainly not making the kind of second-rate mason/dixon country-blues rawk purveyed by Dier Straughts.
What?
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:15
from lastfm:

Silvester Anfang was created by Conrad Schnitzler of Tangerine Dream.

Euronymous, as a big fan of his work, asked him for an intro for Mayhem’s upcoming EP. Schnitzler sent him back this piece, which he found in his archives (it was not made solely for Mayhem’s release).

From Sarah Brightman's site:

It was during this heady time that Sarah [Brightman] first met Andrew One (who is not to be confused with Andrew Two, that impossibly successful musical theatre impresario). After a quick courtship, Sarah married Andrew Graham Stewart. Seven years her senior, Andrew was the manager of Tangerine Dreams, a German psychedelic rock band signed to Virgin.

Monster Magnet has covered Hawkwind and Bob Calvert, among others, and the song "Dinosaur Vacume" is a take on Hawkwind's "Magnu" (Wyndorf's own words on his forum). He also "borrowed" melodies from Hawkwind's "Children of the Sun" ("Look to Your Orb for the Warning") and Captain Beyond's "Mesmerization Eclipse" ("Twin Earths", as well as making references to Hawkwind's "Master of the Universe" ("Spine of God"). During one of the Sweden Rock Festival's (2004?) Dave Wyndorf and Phil Caivano joined Hawkwind onstage (both bands were playing the same festival).

From the seas of tranquility interview, a young Rune Eriksen (Aura Noir, Ava Inferi, ex-Mayhem) was influenced to take up guitar after his sister took him to a Motorhead concert.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:18

And they ain't Prog.

LOL
What? You still don't get when an Englishman is taking the piss out of you? If I could play guitar as well as Knopfler I wouldn't waste that skill playing guitar like Knopfler and certainly not making the kind of second-rate mason/dixon country-blues rawk purveyed by Dier Straughts.

Taking the piss..?.....it just sounds like you are a curmudgeon.

Wink
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:19
an element of the design on the Djinn "Last wish" album comes from a piece of artwork called "The Mock Turtle and Gryphon". The artist that drew that did the artwork for "Black Wings" in Ava Inferi's "Blood of Bacchus" album and what was to be the cover of Systems Theory's "overfulnoisecascade" album.

Edited by darksinger - May 12 2013 at 12:19
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 23:43
After the Moody Blues launched their own label, Threshold, two bands they'd considered for signing to it were King Crimson and Genesis. That would have been interesting, seeing how the label would have developed from there, as well as how the bands' careers might have been different. As it is, Trapeze is the only band anyone remembers from the label, outside of MB's own albums and solo and splinter projects.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 03:35
Ermm I remember Asgærd on Threshold, I've still got the "In The Realm Of Asgærd" LP.
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 10:46

And they ain't Prog.

LOL

What? You still don't get when an Englishman is taking the piss out of you? If I could play guitar as well as Knopfler I wouldn't waste that skill playing guitar like Knopfler and certainly not making the kind of second-rate
mason/dixon country-blues rawk purveyed by Dier Straughts.

I think THE BROTHERS IN ARMS album is quite good. Other than that I really can't say watch else works with me sound wise from them? Oh telegraph Road was a great 14min track they did. Thought that was excellent. Although I think you guys are right in most cases. They can get sappy IMO like and uninspired, but sometimes you just want your MTV!!! Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theadolescentprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 10:51
Aw, how cute! He thinks he's clever for disliking a guitar rock band! You're so adorable you!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 11:25
I quite agree with Dean really. One of the most overrated rock bands in history, Dire Straits. Made some passable songs but interminable albums and some awful singing (talking really). And the band themselves as musicians? Nothing special.

Edited by Snow Dog - May 18 2013 at 11:26
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 11:37
Originally posted by theadolescentprogger theadolescentprogger wrote:

Aw, how cute! He thinks he's clever for disliking a guitar rock band! You're so adorable you!
That directed at me sunshine? You measure cleverness by the music people like and dislike! That's... what's the word? Shallow? No... callow.

Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:15
Let me say a word about Dire Straits...Knopfler is a good guitarist and they have some good moments, but I've never been able to survive to a whole album, all the same stuff for 40 minutes, one song is fine, two are too much, and I'm used to progressive electronic....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:24

And they ain't Prog.

LOL

HAHAHAHAHA!  LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:33
^ yeah. Dier Straughts! Lol. DEAN, you have coined 'Metallicaca' as well. Huge fan of that one.
Do you have anymore band spoof names you can share, then of course will get

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:36
^ Metallicaca?  Truth!  LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:57
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

..... but I've never been able to survive to a whole album, all the same stuff for 40 minutes, one song is fine, two are too much, .........

Sounds a bit like the Flower Kings...

Wink
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 16:20
Dave Brock and HP Lovecraft share a birthday.

I can post anything I want and no one pays attention! Par-tay!

Edited by darksinger - May 18 2013 at 16:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 19:08
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

^ Metallicaca?  Truth!  LOL

Except for MASTER OF PUPPETS and JUSTICE FOR ALL.

Solid albums, but that about covers it. :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 19:32
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

I can post anything I want and no one pays attention! Par-tay! 
WTF ?!!  I hate that term 'Par-tay' - Angry - see, I pay attention........Party
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 20:24
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

Dave Brock and HP Lovecraft share a birthday.

What a pair!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 52>