Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto pankrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 23:01
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

Dave Brock and HP Lovecraft share a birthday.

What a pair!
Holy Cyclopian Monoliths!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 13:05
ELP's 1974 Wembley concert tickets had Emo's name wrongly spelled as 'Emmerson', which apparently did not make him very happy

Dhorr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 17:56
I dunno if any of this is repeating by now, with 37 pages, but...

Greg Lake wrote Lucky Man when he was 12, the other band members didn't like it originally.

There was a short-lived project between Jimmy Page, Chris Squire and Alan White, that was originally even going to have Robert Plant on vocals. XYZ, eX-Zeppelin-and-Yes, they were called.

Edited by Dhorr - May 30 2013 at 17:57
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 18:31
Originally posted by Dhorr Dhorr wrote:

Greg Lake wrote Lucky Man when he was 12, the other band members didn't like it originally.
Also, Keith Emerson's Moog solo was a 1st take and he was just screwing around.  He hated the solo and thought it was embarrassing, but Lake was adamant that it was perfect so they went with it.  Many years later they brought the song back to the live stage and Keith called up Keyboard magazine to get their transcription of the solo because he couldn't remember how he played it Wink 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 18:47

Also, Keith Emerson's Moog solo was a 1st take and he was just screwing around.  He hated the solo and thought it was embarrassing, but Lake was adamant that it was perfect so they went with it.  Many years later they brought the song back to the live stage and Keith called up Keyboard magazine to get their transcription of the solo because he couldn't remember how he played it Wink 

LOL. Awesome. That reminds me of where the "Tom Sawyer" synthesizer riff came from: a pattern Geddy used to play on his synths during soundchecks that was otherwise nothing special till he realized it fit somewhere else.
Dhorr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 19:11

That's pretty funny... It reminds me of how I always wondered how Pink Floyd performed Echoes live - if I remember right a lot of it was improvisation, so did they just remember roughly what they did or just improvise all over again? Anyway, thanks for that little fact, I laughed.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
- HP Lovecraft, Call of Cthulhu
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 21:55
Probably been mentioned before here but I read that both Bryan Ferry and Elton John auditioned for the lead vocal spot in Crimson.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:02
After the release of their '77 album Pompeii, Triumvirat keyboardist/producer Jurgen Fritz would not agree to bringing the band to America to tour. Vocalist Barry Palmer did not understand why, and felt that it was an important missed opportunity.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:25
Here's another - Barry Palmer's voice sounds like Peter Cetera's (to me anyway).
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 21:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Here's another - Barry Palmer's voice sounds like Peter Cetera's (to me anyway).
That's the first time i ever heard that said, got me thinking
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 21:17

I dunno if any of this is repeating by now, with 37 pages, but...
There was a short-lived project between Jimmy Page, Chris Squire and Alan White, that was originally even going to have Robert Plant on vocals. XYZ, eX-Zeppelin-and-Yes, they were called.

I believe the song "Mind Drive" was written using ideas from that project.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 21:22
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

After the release of their '77 album Pompeii, Triumvirat keyboardist/producer Jurgen Fritz would not agree to bringing the band to America to tour. Vocalist Barry Palmer did not understand why, and felt that it was an important missed opportunity.
I can make a guess why Jurgen Fritz did not want to tour America at that time-Triumvirat touring in America was known solely as having frontman Helmut Koellen in the band; Mr. Koellen had just died (suicide) and i bet Fritz did not want to deal with such a thing at that crucial time with everybody. That is just a guess, mind you, i could be way off.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:01
This may be better described as coincidental but here goes:

There are two different live albums in which, when a song is being introduced, someone in the audience hollers "Go get 'em, Stephen!" I first noticed it on "Yessongs," just before Heart of the Sunrise. Years later I finally got the older album "4 Way Street" by CSNY, and just after Neil Young introduces Stephen Stills and before 49 Bye-Byes/America's Children, same holler, probably different person.

One has to wonder if the Yes fan was inspired by the Stills fan or if it was just coincidence.

In 1987, at a Kansas concert, I carried on the "tradition," hollering the same thing to Steve Morse.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:14
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

This may be better described as coincidental but here goes:

There are two different live albums in which, when a song is being introduced, someone in the audience hollers "Go get 'em, Stephen!" I first noticed it on "Yessongs," just before Heart of the Sunrise. Years later I finally got the older album "4 Way Street" by CSNY, and just after Neil Young introduces Stephen Stills and before 49 Bye-Byes/America's Children, same holler, probably different person.

One has to wonder if the Yes fan was inspired by the Stills fan or if it was just coincidence.

In 1987, at a Kansas concert, I carried on the "tradition," hollering the same thing to Steve Morse.

Well, the first album I heard from Yes was the Yes Album, and the reason why I liked it was because it sounded like CSN&Y of whom I was a great fan. So, no it might not have been a coincidence. Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 20:27
This is a bit off topic, as it isn't prog, but i am reminded of my Dad's story when he was young, and he and his friend were at a Coleman Hawkins concert (an older jazz player) and my Dad's friend yelled out something a bit more derogatory- "Go home and die, Hawk!"

Edited by presdoug - June 05 2013 at 20:36
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 04:50
Not obscure for most metallers but anyway here it goes

The artwork of DT's 2011 A Dramatic Turn Of Events borrowed from the artwork of Circus Maximus 2005 debut album The 1st Chapter

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 09:15
^
I knew I had seen that guy somewhere before Big smile I haven't listened to Circus Maximus for ages.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 05:24
Black Sabbaths Paranoid original title was War Pigs but the record company didn't like it so  ,the second choise was Electric Funeral but at the end they call it Paranoid
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:47
In the 60s Caterina Caselli and Giorgio Gaber were presenting a show for the Italian TV. They were used to introduce a a new artist each everytime. One day Caterina Caselli invited Francesco Guccini, later to become famous as single songwriter. Unfortunately also the guest invited by Gaber was a "Francesco" so they decided to ask him to change his name.  

This is how "Francesco Battiato" became "Franco Battiato"
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:52
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Black Sabbaths Paranoid original title was War Pigs but the record company didn't like it so  ,the second choise was Electric Funeral but at the end they call it Paranoid
Paranoid was a song done in a hurry to complete the album. It became the album title and their biggest single!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 52>