Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 07:11
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Black Sabbaths Paranoid original title was War Pigs but the record company didn't like it so  ,the second choise was Electric Funeral but at the end they call it Paranoid
Paranoid was a song done in a hurry to complete the album. It became the album title and their biggest single!
Geezer has stated that when he wrote the lyrics to 'Paranoid' he didn't really know the meaning of the word, just that it sounded cool.................The Devil's advocate, perhaps, Mr Butler ??  Dosed up kids have been reputed to suicide after hearing Ozzy sing "I tell you to enjoy life, I wish I could but it's too late" - dumb kids thought Ozzy was saying 'end your life' instead of 'enjoy life'  Confused so some stories go........
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 07:34
I got these two tidbits about Hungarian band Omega when I sent questions to Laszlo Benko for the PA interview. with Omega 
Omega got their name from a concert organizer because they showed up for the gig without a name. So the organizer just named them. When they showed up they saw that this band Omega had replaced them only to find out that it was them. Thy didn't argue about it and the name was kept. The rest is proverbial history. 

Also the music for the 1984 Boney M hit Rasputin was actually written by Omega. They were recording in the same studio and sold the song to Boney M for cash. The music for the original Omega  Ajanlott Utvonal from their techno-pop album  Omega XI was also used by Boney M for their 1984 hit Wild Years . Couldn't get the exact Hungarian to English translation. Check it out.

And here's the excerpt from the interview :

There are too many rumours around it. We worked in neighbouring studios with Boney M somewhere in Germany. They were really interested in our music and one day Farian offered to buy a song. The official way should have been simply impossible, bureaucratic and useless for us personally. We all thought that we should make it somehow, so we just sold it for cash. The interesting point is that we play in a very different style, but a melody can be interpreted and adopted without limitations.

Actually, not only Rasputin, but quite a few songs (Wild Planet, Future World, etc.) has some Omega themes, no doubt about it. I think nobody knows exactly how impressions and themes were flying from us to them, but we could live with it.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 09 2013 at 07:36
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 12:42
Not fully Prog but Prog-Related: in the original Spanish LP issue of Lou Reed's Rock'n'Roll Animal, released still under the dictatorship regime of Franco, the song Heroin was censored (for obvious reasons) and was replaced by the versions of Vicious and Walk On The Wild Side which would appear in the album Lou Reed Live (these two songs had arguably reason to be censored too but apparently the censors were not too clever or a bit more permissive with sex orientation than with drugs). After Franco's death in 1975 a new release with the normal track list with Heroin was released.

A copy of that early edition was at my place when I was a kid and it's the one I first listened to and grew familiar with, it must have been owned by some relative but at some point it disappeared and I have no idea from whom it was or where did it go. I loved that album so a bit later when I grew up I bought the LP and it included Heroin, at first I was pissed off that Vicious and Walk On The Wild Side were missing because that was the album I had got familiar with, but then I learnt that they were included in Lou Reed Live, so I bought that one too and I was happy having them all, including the 'excitingly forbidden' Heroin.

That early edition must be quite rare because I have not found any trace of its existence in the net. I wish I knew who in my family had it and recover it, it would possibly be a relatively valuable collectors item nowadays.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:22
Not really obscure but some younger proggers may not know it: the title of The Nice debut album was 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack'. Emerlist Davjack was an imaginary name made up from the names of the four band members Keith Emerson, David O'List, Brian Davison and Lee Jackson.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 09:57
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Not really obscure but some younger proggers may not know it: the title of The Nice debut album was 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack'. Emerlist Davjack was an imaginary name made up from the names of the four band members Keith Emerson, David O'List, Brian Davison and Lee Jackson.

Here's a fairly  obscure one for ya.....always loved this tune.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:00

I don't remember if I have already posted it: David O'List was the first guitarist to replace Syd Barrett in a Pink Floyd concert when he was too stoned to play. David played all the gig giving his back to the public.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:13
In the long existence of German jazz/jazz-rock group Passport, they only came to tour in North America once, in the US in 1973.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:08
I think Guru Guru only did a short tour in 1980 as well. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 20:01
Neither very obscure nor very prog, but Lou Reed was subjected to electroshocks in his teens in order to try to correct his homosexual leanings.
Artilectband View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artilectband Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 08:23
In their recording session of Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Dream Theater amassed a Starbucks bill of 10K.
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 21:23
Prolly been mentioned before but Touch was mentioned in the Proto prog thread so.....the keyboard player was originally in the Kingsmen who of course wrote the classic Louie Louie.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 19:02
Barenaked Ladies wrote an album entitled Snacktime! One song involves a large group of guest callers, announcing their favorite snacks. Geddy Lee is the first one you hear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snacktime

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - June 19 2013 at 19:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:23

Neither very obscure nor very prog, but Lou Reed was subjected to electroshocks in his teens in order to try to correct his homosexual leanings.

The horror of ignorance, poor guy.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:19
Originally posted by Artilectband Artilectband wrote:

In their recording session of Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Dream Theater amassed a Starbucks bill of 10K.

I'd have to pee every 5mins. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:28
Ermm that would explain Portnoy's "singing" on BC&SL
What?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:36

Poor thing. However, it's good to discover that the world has become a better place in some areas. And Lou has helped it along I feel.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:37
Still better than what happened to a genius and war decorated hero like Alan Turing
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 19:42
Robert Fripp is a human being.
Shocked
I know, I didn't want to believe it either
St.Cleve Chronicle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Cleve Chronicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 06:11
Before founding Gentle Giant, the Shulman brothers were in a band called Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. They released one rather popular single - Kites. You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0DcCI7b1E

Here's the obscure bit. A finnish language version of the song was recorded by a singer called Kirka and it became a massive hit over here. Over the years it has become one of those songs that everyone knows whether they like it or not. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_OvhkwK-I

As a matter of fact I was very surprised to find out that this age old earworm had originally been crafted by members of my possibly favourite prog rock band : D
mrtortoise View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrtortoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 08:05
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Robert Fripp is a human being.

Not according to the other members of King Crimson! 

I know, I know, all in jest and good fun Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 52>