Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 16:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ ps: that most of the people in the video were also on Zappa's Joe's Garage is a better Prog linkage.

Well done, sir.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 23:55
I have that 7" of 'Words' - it's credited to Bozzio & Cuccurullo. The B-side is a song called 'I Like Boys' - needless to say, I don't spin this side........(as much of a fox Dale was at the time.....)
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have that 7" of 'Words' - it's credited to Bozzio & Cuccurullo. The B-side is a song called 'I Like Boys' - needless to say, I don't spin this side........(as much of a fox Dale was at the time.....)
I should have known better as I know both the Bee Gee's and MP's songs....what threw me was that some of the lyric websites credit the MP song as being written by the Gibb brothers.

Whoa is me....I still want to list an obscure prog fact.......I've been listening to the entire Weather Report (Jazz Rock/Fusion prog) catalog this year and wanted to know a bit more about Joe Zawinul so I read a few interviews he did. A great anecdote from one of them was Joe starting an interview with no holds barred comments about other musicians and music industry people. Commenting on certain individuals "in the most brutal way". The journalist was aghast and amazed thinking what a great story this is going to be. Turns out the tape recorders batteries were dead and Zawinul knew it but the interviewer didn't.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

"I know what boys like / I know what guys want" (I know, different song!)
Matheusms View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matheusms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 09:56
In the late seventies, Patrick Moraz almost joined a brazilian prog band!
The name of the band is Vimana and they released an EP. They also recorded a full LP but it was never released and it remains completely unheard even today. Patrick discovered the band and wanted the members to join him in a project callled "The Patrick Moraz Band". In fact, he called everyone but their singer and guitar player, Lulu Santos, which he despised. The other members disliked his attitude about Santos and decided to disband. Some people said that they actually rehearsed togheter but this more a legend than a fact.

After they disbanded, three of the member became very big acts in Brazil; their drummer, Lobão, composed widely known radio hits and today keeps doing very good music, sometimes prog-related. Ritchie, the lead singer of Vimana and an english man that came to live in Brazil, reached the top with a song called Menina Veneno. He is know as a one hit wonder but this song alone made him absurdely famous here. Lulu Santos, the guy Patrick Moraz hated, is the most successful one of the bunch, with lots of hit singles in the eighties and nineties. The guy plays guitar very well and his songs, albeit quite radio-friendly, are very interesting, sometimes flirting with jazzy chords and even proggy keyboards.

Edited by Matheusms - September 09 2013 at 09:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 20:48
When Triumvirat were touring in the USA and playing the two suites of music from their Illusions On A Double Dimple album in 1974, sometimes during the piano solo section of the second suite "Mister Ten Percent", Jurgen Fritz would introduce a bit of different music than presented on the album, one time with a section of solo piano that would be later incorporated into "A Day In A Life" from 1976's Triumvirat album Old Loves Die Hard.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 09:33
Nik Turner recorded a bunch of flute pieces inside the Great pyramid of Giza, and then brought them home with him to Wales. The album that popped out the other end was Xitintoday. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:47
^ AMAZING album
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:51
Took me awhile to get used to the narrative side of it, but now I just love it. Prefer it over anything that I've heard from Hawkwind to be honest.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 13:32
Todd Rundgren's youngest son is named Re Bop.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Todd Rundgren's youngest son is named Re Bop.

Ah, like Rebop Kwaku Baah, the great percussionist of Traffic (and Can, as Wikipedia says, I'm surprised Shocked )
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 03:40
“Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence. Robert Fripp".

As said by Laura Thyme, the last words on the the last episode of the last series of Rosemary And Thyme.
kingesis2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingesis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 12:13
Also, were Ozzy Osbourne recorded his album Blizzard of Ozz supposly it was habitated by a poltergeist because every morning everything was destroyed even though the owner of the studio insisted that every night they getted drunk and destroyed the studio but Ozzy said that it was habitated by a poltergeist.

I found Trident Studios in google maps
"Cranberry sauce" The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 14:35
Originally posted by kingesis2 kingesis2 wrote:

Also, were Ozzy Osbourne recorded his album Blizzard of Ozz supposly it was habitated by a poltergeist because every morning everything was destroyed even though the owner of the studio insisted that every night they getted drunk and destroyed the studio but Ozzy said that it was habitated by a poltergeist.
I found Trident Studios in google maps

I think Ozzy was the Poltergeist.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nik Turner recorded a bunch of flute pieces inside the Great pyramid of Giza, and then brought them home with him to Wales. The album that popped out the other end was Xitintoday. 

Now that is something...really something. Makes me want to go to Egypt even more.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 18:11
Wishbone Ash, a band not known for a keyboard aspect, had a keyboard player on part of the tour for their "Locked In" album. The only document of that tour is a CD called "The King Will Come-Live", recorded in Davenport in the USA in '76.
kolossusuk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolossusuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 07:39

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

The band Medicine Head released an album called Dark Side Of The Moon just a few months before Pink Floyd did.
...which annoyed PF immensely because had Medicine Head been a success they would have had to use the the working title of the album instead, which was Eclipse.

One of the tracks on the MH DSotM was titled "Back To The Wall"
And Seventies / sixties MOR crooner, Vince Hill, released an album called Wish You Were Here the same year as PF
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 08:58
Originally posted by kolossusuk kolossusuk wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

The band Medicine Head released an album called Dark Side Of The Moon just a few months before Pink Floyd did.
...which annoyed PF immensely because had Medicine Head been a success they would have had to use the the working title of the album instead, which was Eclipse.

One of the tracks on the MH DSotM was titled "Back To The Wall"
And Seventies / sixties MOR crooner, Vince Hill, released an album called Wish You Were Here the same year as PF
And Badfinger a year before that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 18:59
That is very interesting...at least they didn't call it, Dark Side of The Womb.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 23:14
Blackmore's Night have a Wish You Were Here, too. (only a song)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 52>