Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhikkhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:47
Here are two.

Jean-Jacques Goldman from Tai Phong went on to write some of Celine Dion's hits.

Piero Umiliani had a prog Band called Braen's Machine. He went on to fame writing movie soundtracks with a much more lounge music style. His biggest claim to fame is writing "Mah Na Mah Na" which we all know from the Muppets.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:59
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Here are two.

Jean-Jacques Goldman from Tai Phong went on to write some of Celine Dion's hits.

Piero Umiliani had a prog Band called Braen's Machine. He went on to fame writing movie soundtracks with a much more lounge music style. His biggest claim to fame is writing "Mah Na Mah Na" which we all know from the Muppets.

Well, Randy Jackson, (The American Idol Jury), played several years with Jean Luc Ponty before playing for N'Sync.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 16 2014 at 12:59

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:19
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just read that Annie Haslam was present, as part of the audience, at The Beatles fooftop concert. Suposedly she even appears in the video (though I guess one would have to pay a lot of attention to spot her).
Yeah, she shared the video on FB. Can you tell me at what time-mark you can see her?

I guess I saw the same post you did... but I'm afraid I didn't actually see it. I was a bit busy, and when I put it I think I saw it was a bit too long, so I just closed the window. But still, I read the post and thought it was interesting, and then I thought about this thread.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 00:10
Peter Banks’ “Instinct,” on track 5, Shortcomings, a female voice is heard saying something about Peter. It’s actually an excerpt from an episode of Rockline (a syndicated radio interview program, for those not aware) from 1991, in which the guests were members of Yes, at the beginning of the Union tour. The caller was asking if Banks was asked to participate in the tour.

I’d recorded parts of this episode as it was broadcast, so when I first played Instinct and heard this familiar bit of speech, I dug out the tape and compared the two. Sure enough it was the same. Whether he actually got permission to use that bit is an open question. Of course, if he didn’t, neither did I.

Edited by AreYouHuman - April 12 2014 at 00:11
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 01:25
^^^Wow! How many people caught that?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:06
Former Dzyan drummer Peter Giger's personal label Nagara ended due to a fire that gutted the location in the early 1980s.

Dzyan's name came from the name Madame H.P. Blavatsky gave to the ancient Indian Book of Creation she said to have uncovered in the late 19th Century.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:17
Former Vita Nova and Dzyan guitar player Eddy Marron was picked to be one of the official musicians at the 1964 Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria.

Mr. Marron moved to Holland in the 70s and became a Professor of Jazz Guitar at the University in Arnhem.

He released a solo album in 1980 called Por Marco on Peter Giger's Nagara label.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:13
A lot of people don't know that the recording of Supper's Ready was taken from 3 different shows when Genesis performed live in France. They did 3 shows in 2 days and sound engineer guru, Nick Davis compiled the best results from each show making into one song. Pretty interesting. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

A lot of people don't know that the recording of Supper's Ready was taken from 3 different shows when Genesis performed live in France. They did 3 shows in 2 days and sound engineer guru, Nick Davis compiled the best results from each show making into one song. Pretty interesting. :)

Interesting indeed. I sometimes have thought that a band might actually record their albums live and thus might be able to save the costs of a studio, thinking perhaps they could introduce a new song during several shows and recording them... and then perhaps they could play those songs more than once to pick the one that sounds best. Of course, this days, it might be all too risky because of bootlegging and internet.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_of_morphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 17:27
Todd Rundgren recorded Second Wind live, and begged the audience to be quiet.
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claugroi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 09:41
This might not be obscure, but Red Hot Chili Peppers' original guitarist, John Frusciante, played his solo on Get on Top influenced by Howe's on Siberian Khatru.
Symphonic Prog Master
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 22:01
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

This might not be obscure, but Red Hot Chili Peppers' original guitarist, John Frusciante, played his solo on Get on Top influenced by Howe's on Siberian Khatru.

Cool--I did read that Frusciante--a gifted guitarist---named Howe as an influence.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 18:47
Scottish proggers Beggars Opera swapped toerags for....

Sir Cliff Richard - keyboard player Alan Park is/was his musical director Shocked

David Bowie/Iggy Pop - guitarist Ricky Gardiner worked with the former circa Low and wrote the music for the aptly named the Passenger for the latter Shocked
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 22:51
Originally posted by chefrobb chefrobb wrote:

Karn Evil 9 was the music for the local evening news in LA in the mid 70's.

That peppy instrumental (can't remember the name) from Triumvirat's (can't remember the spelling[?]) Dance On a Volcano (can't remember the album's title [?]) was the ending music for an 11 p.m. news broadcast in San Diego back in the '70s.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 23:40
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Peter Banks’ “Instinct,” on track 5, Shortcomings, a female voice is heard saying something about Peter. It’s actually an excerpt from an episode of Rockline (a syndicated radio interview program, for those not aware) from 1991, in which the guests were members of Yes, at the beginning of the Union tour. The caller was asking if Banks was asked to participate in the tour.

I’d recorded parts of this episode as it was broadcast, so when I first played Instinct and heard this familiar bit of speech, I dug out the tape and compared the two. Sure enough it was the same. Whether he actually got permission to use that bit is an open question. Of course, if he didn’t, neither did I.

Wow, I'll pass this along to Pete's friends!  The answer to the caller is that Steve Howe put the knife in and refused to share the stage with Peter.  Very sad story, Peter talks about it in this interview:

Edited by cstack3 - May 23 2014 at 20:34
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 23:40
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Wow, I'll pass this along to Pete's friends!  The answer to the caller is that Steve Howe put the knife in and refused to share the stage with Peter.  Very sad story, Peter talks about it in this interview:

Cygnus74 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnus74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 02:45
Elton John apparently once auditioned for Gentle Giant (before they got started)

Bryan Ferry once auditioned for King Crimson (who referred him onto EG Management)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 07:50
Triumvirat's last live gigs in 1980 featured Herb Quick on drums and David Hanselmann on vocals, and they did songs from Spartacus and Pompeii.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Which recording?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 01:01
If you play Jon Anderson's vocals backwards you won't hear any subliminal Satanic messages (they just make a lot more sense that way) Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>