Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 16:19
I am told that Can took a while more than they had to making Ege Bamyasi only because Damo Suzuki and Irmin Schmidt just plain couldn't stop playing chess. LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 16:17
I think this one turned up in some other thread but here it goes anyway.

Kansas were usually careful to get involved in any remasters the labels might want to release, but once Sony Germany released an album of remastered Kansas stuff which escaped the band's supervision, which they called (pretty unimaginatively) "Dust In The Wind".

The point is, someone at Sony Germany messed up and put a picture of Edgar Winter's band in the cover. They thought that guy with the long straight blond hair must have been Kerry Livgren.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:55
Is that Rick Derringer?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 18:26
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Is that Rick Derringer?
Nope, that's a bass player, Rick played guitar with Winter.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 19:12
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Is that Rick Derringer?

Nope, that's a bass player, Rick played guitar with Winter.
The bassist looks like Kasim Sulton (from Utopia/Rundgren etc.) but I could be wrong.....
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 21:57
It's Dan Hartman.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 09:53
Unsung Heroes

Genesis classic formation was so brilliant, that few even know some members

Before John Mayhew there were two more drummers

a) Chris Stewart (1967 - 1968)
b) John Silver (1968 - 1969)

Steve Hackett was not the second Genesis guitar player, as a fact Anthony Phillips was replaced by Mick Barnard, who played between Trespass (1970) and Nursery Cryme (1971)

Even more, Mick appears on the first TV presentation for the BBC called Disco 2 and was responsible for some parts in The Musical Box. This presentation is lost, I heard somewhere they have found this video and will be released soon, but there's no confirmation.

Tony Banks said about him:

Quote He was OK, but not really forceful enough. I remember when we had already auditioned Steve but were still rehearsing with Mick which wasn't a very nice thing to do, we were doing the end part of "The Musical Box" and he was playing this little guitar phrase over the top of it and we thought this was really good. So just as we were about to boot him out he did something quite good.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 15 2014 at 10:05

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 07:33
Jimi Hendrix featured in an Ad for the Aqua Velva aftershave lotion

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:17
I just learned this. Jon Davison of Yes and Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters were best friends growing up, and even played in an acid metal band together called Anyone.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 23:26
Actually, I believe there was something about Chris Squire knowing Taylor Hawkins, and him being the one that made the contact between Squire and Davison.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 00:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually, I believe there was something about Chris Squire knowing Taylor Hawkins, and him being the one that made the contact between Squire and Davison.

I checked a couple sources, this might be the most credible.

http://glasshammer.com/pages/features/JonDavison.html

An interview describing his early music influences. According to this one, he had never heard of Yes until after he had become friends with Taylor.

Still, it's crazy that Yes was his biggest influence, and 20 years later, he ends up becoming their lead singer. That's pretty wild.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:43
He's not prog, but Iggy Pop once played an alien on TV's Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:57
When Tony Banks was wavering about Genesis in the late 60s, he heard that Harry Williamson was waiting in the wings to take over on keyboards, so that made him stick with the band.  Harry Williamson went on to work with Mother Gong and Anthony Phillips...

While with Gong, which ex-member of Gong appeared with the Rolling Stones on their tour last year?
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:50
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

While with Gong, which ex-member of Gong appeared with the Rolling Stones on their tour last year?

Don’t know, but another Stones/Gong connection is that Mick Taylor played on “Downwind” and “Expresso II” and Pierre Moerlen produced Mick’s first solo album.

Not obscure, but worth a mention: Two days ago, on NPR’s All Things Considered, they ran down a list of the latest R & R Hall of Fame inductees, and another list of acts that haven’t been inducted yet but should (via musical snippets), including Tull, Yes, KC and Roxy Music.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:44
For it was he, Mick Taylor!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:04
Saga's Michael Sadler contributed uncredited backing vocals to Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 20:35
The German girl with a missing toe in this scene from The Big Lebowski is the same lady who sings backing vocals on Rush's 'Time Stand Still' and 'Open Secrets'. Aimee Mann, also notably of the new wave band 'Til Tuesday.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 20:05
http://oxfordcitizen.com/2015/01/22/oxford-attorney-namesake-umphreys-mcgee/

Cool story on where the name of Umphrey's McGee came from.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Phil always said besides Bruford--Bonham was his fav drummer---I think he was the wrong choice for the job-but as he said he was there and a big deal at the time----I doubt that he intentionally had any interest in sabotaging the reunion---as he loved the band---but it is a train wreak but all of Zeps attempts after Bonham died were not that good except maybe the last attempt.

Phil and Robert Plant were friends, after all Phil played drums on two pf Plant's albums.
 I saw a documentary about Plant and apparently, getting Phil to jam with him early 80s was the reason he started making music again. Robert was most affected by Bonzo's death, being friends for a very long time and Plant was considering giving up music after Bonham's death. As he changed his mind and wanted to make some new music, Robert was desperately looking for a drummer for quite a while, and as he ran into Phil Collins, Phil gladly accepted to play drums for Plant.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:16
Hey, if I were Plant, I'd chose Phil as my drummer.......
I'd chose Barrie from Tull, too...........
Heck, I'd chose Andy Edwards today.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>