Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:24
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Lemmi from Moterhead was an ELP roaddie. He once gave Emerson a knife so he could stab his hammond so it would hold a single note.

He would have been a roadie for The Nice then, not ELP.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:31
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Lemmi from Moterhead was an ELP roaddie. He once gave Emerson a knife so he could stab his hammond so it would hold a single note.

Heh? 
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:35

Oh. This is where I got that tidbit from.... I'd never heard of The Nice LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:36
Obscure prog farts.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:40
Many years ago--Jon Anderson did something so horrible to Vangelis---that Vangelis has never spoken to him again
--in spite of JA trying to make it right---what did JA do or say? Anyone know?
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lozlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:40
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Obscure prog farts.

This is so going in my signature.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:47
There are two progressive musicians named Peter Robinson with more in common than just their names
           both played keyboards, both started recording with progressive groups in the early seventies period, and even had a similar playing style

Peter Robinson from the UK played in Quatermass, Sun Treader, Brand X, and many others

Peter Robinson from the US played in jazz-rock group Contraband

both musicians later went on to write music for television and movies

the UK one is now properly known as J. Peter Robinson, and the American is known as Peter Manning Robinson so there is no more potential for confusion
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:54
Sherman Hemsley AKA George Jefferson is known as a huge prog fan. As a matter of fact, he is such a Gentle Giant fanboy that he went on the Dinah Shore show and did a tap dance to Proclamation.

Maybe this isn't that obscure.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 21:54
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Obscure prog farts.

This is so going in my signature.

Clap
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 23:41
Bassist/Vocalist Burke Shelley of Welsh rock band Budgie lived for a year in Toronto, Canada (1977)

Jurgen Fritz formerly of German prog band Triumvirat has of recent years been writing and playing music with the band of the German singer Tommy Engel, which has also recently included Elke Schlimbach as a backing vocalist, who was the sister of the former guitar player/singer of Triumvirat the late Helmut Koellen, and has had a long career of doing backing vocals for varied artists including Triumvirat, Helmut Koellen's solo record, and even Boney M at one point
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 01:01
Great topic although at the same time it's frustrating to realise how little I know...

Elton John played a tour in 1967 with the Schulman brothers early band Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. 

Edited by Gerinski - December 11 2010 at 03:21
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 03:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I have never invented anything here, so you know who the people are that have no interest in believing some things that were there ... you see ... black this and that never happened in America ... the VietNam was didn't exist ... the IRA stuff was a joke ... KC was about jagged guitars and odd time signatures, not about the time and place ... the typical type of material and information that goes a long way to show how comercial music and top ten should be ... never an artist!

And PA's supposed "Admins" are not demonstrating knowledge and intelligence and making sure their group doesn't come off as petty, and stupid -- and full of sh*t!

You said yourself " I suppose that...." THAT is making things up!

And you have no idea what I know or don't know about Vangelis. You are making it all up again. 

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

But Olias Of Sunhillow is irrelevant to this,isn't it?

I also do not think that Vangelis was that interested in a band situation, specially one like YES, where he would have to learn some things that probably would not interest him. he was already through with the "popular" thing then, and had enough things going ... to drop them all and become a rock star ... I really think that by the time Jon mentioned it to the rest of the band members, Chris probably said ... my bass would never fit, and Steve went ... so much for my input in the band ... or something silly like that.

You see...all made up...or should we call it supposition?

Edited by Snow Dog - December 11 2010 at 03:32
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 03:27
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 03:29

I nearly called him a name. I hope ypu are glad i didn't.Tongue
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 03:41
Jonas Hallberg guitarist of the swedish Simon Says seems to have some habit to record his solos naked.
I wouldn't mind being Jon Camp if Annie Haslam had done the same Wink

Brian May has a degree in Astrophysics.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 03:44
The Brian May thing is hardly obscure.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 04:04
Black Widow's original drummer Romeo Challenger went on to play with Showaddywaddy

Captain Beefheart
(Don Van Vliet) is distantly related to Wallis Simpson, the wife of Edward VIII - his maternal grandmother was Simpson's 2nd cousin. Van Vliet's stage name came from a term used by his Uncle Alan. Alan had a habit of exposing himself to Don's erstwhile girlfriend, Laurie. Alan would urinate with the bathroom door open and, if she was walking by, mumble about his penis, saying "Ahh, what a beauty! It looks just like a big, fine beef heart."

Gryphon
is the only band who have ever managed to get airplay on B.B.C Radios 1,2,3 & 4 in the same week (this record still stands even today)

David Kaffinetti -
Keyboard player with early 70's UK proto prog group Rare Bird, played the part of Spinal Tap's ivory tickler Viv Savage.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 04:35
^ Gryphon also appeared on British kids TV programmes "Jim I'll Fix It" and "Magpie" - on the latter they played a version of the Magpie theme tune (the originally version was by The Spencer Davis Group)
What?
Verwuestung View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verwuestung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 05:09
Elton John failed at 2 lead vocalists trials early in his youth. one was for King Crimson, the other Gentle Giant.
his original name was dwight, later changed to elton john in homage to Bluesology saxophonist Elton Dean (later of Soft Machine fame) and Long John Baldry

Pick Withers, the drummer of what I consider legendary band Spring later became the drummer of Dire Strait's first 4 albums

Edited by Verwuestung - December 11 2010 at 05:10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 05:18

yes it was The Nice (and Hendrix too I believe) -

Wakeman was fired from Warhorse's Red Sea sessions due to lack of attendance.  That's all I got.

..and I've heard that stuff about Greg Lake not liking Tarkus but I suspect this may be somewhat exaggerated; his vital contributions to the record make it seem unlikely he was not fond of and committed to the album, and the fact that he may have wanted to go in a more commercial direction doesn't mean he resented making it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>