FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedObscure Non-Prog Music Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obscure Non-Prog Music Facts
    Posted: December 12 2010 at 17:58
I was thinking, since the Obscure Prog Facts thread has been so interesting, what about obscure knowledge regarding non-Prog music?  Other types of rock or jazz or classical-anything non prog?

Non Prog Rock

Former singer for the Canadian heavy rock band Moxy, the late Buzz Shearman, was the number one pick for a replacement for AC/DCs Bon Scott, but due to his difficulties with his vocal chords (due no doubt  to drugs and drink) he was passed over

Former seventies UK hard rock band Dirty Tricks were the very original backing band for the solo Ozzy Osbourne

Former lead singer for Dirty Tricks, Kenny Stewart, now fronts a Zeppelin cover band called Stairway To Zeppelin

Former Skid Row, Lonestar, and more famously UFO guitarist Paul Chapman later joined a band made up of some members of southern US band Molly Hatchet

classical music

During Anton Bruckner's funeral service, Brahms stood outside and refused to go in to pay his respects, bitterly muttering, "Soon it will be my turn", and the following year, he was dead

In 1911, conductor Felix Mottl was conducting a Wagner opera, and in the middle of it, he dropped dead of a heart attack-years later in 1968 at the same concert hall and podium, while conducting the same Wagner opera, conductor Joseph Keilberth dropped dead of a heart attack AT THE SAME BAR OF MUSIC as Mottl had!

Thomas Edison made a recording of Johannes Brahms' voice

Edited by presdoug - December 12 2010 at 18:00
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 20:11
Elton John once attacked Iggy Pop on stage while dressed as a gorilla.

Yes really, look it up.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 21:53
It took the Zeps a week or two to record their first album. 

Joy Division got their first EP pressed, but only after that did they actually hear it and figured that everything sounds so quiet and messy.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 21:59
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Elton John once attacked Iggy Pop on stage while dressed as a gorilla.

Yes really, look it up.

Great article:

http://wallofpaul.com/that-was-no-gorilla-that-was-elton-john

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 22:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I was thinking, since the Obscure Prog Facts thread has been so interesting, what about obscure knowledge regarding non-Prog music?  Other types of rock or jazz or classical-anything non prog?

In 1911, conductor Felix Mottl was conducting a Wagner opera, and in the middle of it, he dropped dead of a heart attack-years later in 1968 at the same concert hall and podium, while conducting the same Wagner opera, conductor Joseph Keilberth dropped dead of a heart attack AT THE SAME BAR OF MUSIC as Mottl had!

Goodness! What opera? I want to avoid listening to it until later in life just in case. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 22:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Goodness! What opera? I want to avoid listening to it until later in life just in case. Tongue
The opera Tristan und Isolde. There is one mistake in my story. Conductor Felix Mottl died, but did not drop dead, but passed on a few days after, though still having had a heart attack on the podium at that specific time in the music. Still pretty weird, though!  And Joseph Keilberth had often told people, "I want to go doing Tristan und Isolde" And he got his wish.
     And thanks, The Truth and Man With Hat, for reviving this long dead thread!Thumbs Up

Edited by presdoug - May 20 2012 at 10:54
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 22:48
Canadian rock band Loverboy's singer Mike Reno's real name was Mike Rynoski, and he had previously sang on Canadian heavy rock band Moxy's fourth album Under The Lights in 1978.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 11:11
classical music

Adolf Hitler would frequently visit the concerts conducted by Jewish composer Gustav Mahler.

Hitler's own record collection was sprinkled with Jewish artists (like Mendelssohn, for example)

When preparing his 6th Symphony for first performance, composer Gustav Mahler wept constantly.

When conductor Oswald Kabasta and his wife attempted suicide after Kabasta being treated harshly during "De Nazification" (he could only work as a common labourer) the conductor succeeded in killing himself, but his wife survived. Sadly, six months later, his wife succeeded in committing suicide.

German composer Richard Strauss visited an elderly and ailing Anton Bruckner to show one of his recent compositions to get Bruckner's approval.

Conductor Arturo Toscanini was at one point, in the early 1930s a champion of the music of Anton Bruckner, conducting his 4th and 7th Symphonies repeatedly. (Also having done the adagio of the 7th way back in Italy in 1896!) After 1935, he never returned to Bruckner's music again. (And unearthed from an archive a few years ago is a Toscanini recording of Bruckner's 7th Symphony)

Beethoven's favorite composer was Handel.

Edited by presdoug - May 20 2012 at 11:15
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 11:36
Neil Young and Burton Cummings (The Guess Who) both went to the same high school in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I'm not sure if they associated with each other though.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - May 20 2012 at 11:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 12:42
Brahms was celebant all of his life.

Quite a few classical composers died of syphilis (can't remember who exactly.)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:30
Victoria Adams, married one football player with the name Beckham, and changed her last name :O
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 15:24
In the 1920s, conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler conducted Mahler's symphonies with frequency.

There are over a hundred Jews who owe their lives to Furtwangler intervening on their behalf in Nazi Germany

Furtwangler himself had to flee the Nazis and go to Switzerland. Himmler wanted to arrest him due to his helping of Jews to safety.

Anton Bruckner's music was introduced to Russia in the 1920s by German conductors Hermann Abendroth and Otto Klemperer. Abendroth was the first German conductor allowed back to Russia after the cessation of WW2 hostilities.

Richard Strauss's tone poem Ein Heldenleben was dedicated to conductor Willem Mengelberg.
   Dutch conductor Mengelberg, head of the Concertgebouw Orchester Amsterdam when the Nazis began occupying the Netherlands during the war, had the great courage and conviction in conducting a few performances of Jewish composer Gustav Mahler's 1st Symphony, after the Nazis had taken over!
     This could put you into a concentration camp, but Mengelberg wasn't.

Franz Schmidt's Fourth Symphony was dedicated to conductor Prof. Oswald Kabasta. Kabasta showed great vision by being an early believer in Mahler's symphonies, but unfortunately, his career collided with the Nazis in a big way.,and thus, could not conduct Mahler.

German conductor Joseph Keilberth was born just two weeks after Herbert von Karajan.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 18:23
Composer Richard Strauss was an enigmatic figure at times. He was not anti-Semitic, and had no problem in working with Jews in the music world, and personally felt the Nazis to be dilettantes and barbarians, but became the Nazis  Generalmusikdirektor.

Jewish conductor Bruno Walter, famous for conducting Anton Bruckner's Fourth, and last three symphonies, also did the Fifth Symphony, even doing a radio broadcast of it in New York City in the early 1930s.

Conductor Arturo Toscanini, upon looking at Gustav Mahler's 5th Symphony, condemned the composer as "not sincere" and in his long career, he never conducted any Mahler.

German conductor Hans Knappertsbusch, in his long and distinguished career, never came to North America to conduct, as many of his colleagues eventually did.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 13:14
When the composers Johannes Brahms and Anton Bruckner finally met, at Brahms famous haunt "The Red Hedgehog" each sat at the end of a long table with their followers around them. It was hard to break the ice. Brahms ordered Pork dumplings. Bruckner then commented "Well, a man that orders pork dumplings can't be all that bad", and thus "the ice was broken".

When conductor Sir Thomas Beecham toured Germany with his orchestra in the mid 1930s, Hitler attended, and later met privately with Beecham. Sir Thomas came away from that by commenting, "Now i KNOW what is wrong with Germany."

At another concert of Beecham's that Hitler was supposed to attend, but was late for, Beecham made a mistake by commenting "the old bugger's late" which was picked up by microphones, and quite a bit of the audience heard it. Luckily, Beecham was able to keep his head.

Edited by presdoug - May 21 2012 at 13:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 16:29

When conductor Sir Thomas Beecham toured Germany with his orchestra in the mid 1930s, Hitler attended, and later met privately with Beecham. Sir Thomas came away from that by commenting, "Now i KNOW what is wrong with Germany."

I wonder what Beecham meant by that. I don't really get it.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 17:15
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I wonder what Beecham meant by that. I don't really get it.
I definitely think it is a direct criticism of Hitler himself. In the mid-thirties, people outside of Germany still did not really understand what Hitler was, and thus what he would be held accountable for regarding the fate of Germany. I think outsiders at that time would be induced to throw up their hands and proclaim "You know, i really don't know what is wrong with Germany", maybe sensing something was wrong, but not understanding what, really. Beecham, after being with Hitler directly, was thus able to pick up things out about Hitler's real self, and came out of the meeting "knowing what is wrong with Germany". And that, i am sure, meant Hitler. That is how i interpret his comment.

Edited by presdoug - May 21 2012 at 17:32
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 13:25
   In the rivalry between conductors Herbert von Karajan and Wilhelm Furtwangler, Furtwangler disliked Karajan so much, that he could not even refer to him by name, and called him "That man K".
             This was one sided, though. Karajan admired Furtwangler as a conductor.

When Herbert von Karajan visited the monastery of St. Florian in Austria, where Anton Bruckner's body was interred, Karajan was allowed to go down into the vault, and spent a couple of hours "just himself and Bruckner's bones".

One time when Wilhelm Furtwangler was sitting in the front row of a Toscanini concert where Beethoven's 9th Symphony was being played, after a few moments of the music, he called out "Bloody time beater!", and left the hall.

Furtwangler was Hitler's favorite conductor. (Poor Furtwangler!) The conductor would do his best to be "out of town" when it was Hitler's birthday, so he would not have to conduct  for it.

Conductor Oswald Kabasta had a special relationship with Anton Bruckner's 8th Symphony, and when barred from conducting after WW2, he wrote his beloved Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, saying, "remember me especially when you play Bruckner's 8th."  Alas, there are no recordings of Kabasta doing the symphony.

Edited by presdoug - May 29 2012 at 17:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 13:36
U2 called the song "Hawkmoon 269" because they (allegedly, at least that's what they said) did 269 takes of that song. 

The Edge of U2 used an echo machine for the intro solo to "Where the Streets Have No Name". He wasn't actually that proficient on the instrument. Big smile

All of the members of U2 are Irish with the exception of Adam Clayton, who was born in England, Sussex or Essex, can't remember, but on the Web it shows "Chinnor". Go figure ... unless my memory screwed me this time.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 29 2012 at 14:27
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 16:16
While auditioning to be the guitarist for the Melvins, Kurt Cobain was rejected.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 17:55

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Neil Young and Burton Cummings (The Guess Who) both went to the same high school in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I'm not sure if they associated with each other though.

Neil Young and Rick James started out in the same band, the Mynah Birds, back in 1965.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>