Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedObscure Non-Prog Music Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 21:14
Joan Armatrading's album “Me Myself I” was recorded in New York in March 1980, using mostly local musicians. Among them were Will Lee, Anton Fig, Hiram Bullock and Paul Shaffer, all of whom were future members of the house band on Late Night With David Letterman. Anton was the last to come to the show, circa 1986.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 03:14
1970s songer Noosha Fox from glam rock band Fox...

...is the mother of Bad Science author Dr Ben Goldacre MRCPysch
What?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 03:42
I remember Belinda Carlisle used to be affectionately called `The Hoover' because of the amount of coke she used to snort. There's actually a ton of mind-blowing stories about her and the Go-Go's that are a world away from their cutesy girl-next-door public image, really debauchered stuff! The tale about a line of coke, a naked roadie and a vibrator is pretty awesome....well, except for that roadie! Really wicked girls!

(who also put out one of the greatest pop albums ever with `Beauty and the Beat')
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 09:24
After Anton Bruckner heard conductor Hans Richter conduct the premiere of his Fourth Symphony, he approached Richter after the concert, and pressed a thaler into his hand, and said "Have a drink to your health". Richter attached it to his watch chain and kept it for the rest of his life.

Leonard Bernstein recounted how when he first met conductor Serge Koussevitzky to join his conducting class, Koussevitzky did not even look at his information, and said he could join right on the spot.

Conductor Serge Koussevitzky made a gift of some cuff links to Leonard Bernstein, and Lenny wore them at every subsequent concert he conducted.

When Otto Klemperer made an impressive piano reduction of Gustav Mahler's 2nd Symphony for the composer, Mahler was so impressed that he wrote an endorsement of Klemperer on a card, which Klemperer kept in his wallet for the rest of his life.

Edited by presdoug - October 01 2013 at 09:25
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 18:05
German composer Paul Hindemith was also a conductor, an important one of Bruckner, and was quoted as saying that he liked to conduct Bruckner more than any other composer apart from his own music. One year, he recieved the Bruckner Medal of Honour for his efforts.

Edited by presdoug - October 08 2013 at 18:06
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 17:12
Sir Thomas Beecham quote-"A harpsichord sounds like two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a rainstorm."

Conductor Leopold Stokowski said of Artur Rodzinski-"Now there is a conductor born, not made."

Conductor Sir Malcolm Sargent said to the Viennese while on tour in Austria, "Elgar is a better composer than Bruckner".
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 17:15
My favorite Sir Thomas Beecham quote-"A musicologist is someone who can read music, but can't hear it."LOL

Sir Thomas, in his long conducting career, only conducted Mahler once, the Fourth Symphony in 1908.

Leonard Bernstein once remarked while rehearsing the scherzo movement of Bruckner's Ninth Symphony, "Wow, the Rite of Spring in 1893!"
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:20
I read that Lemmy of Motorhead and Hawkwind also used to be a roadie for The Nice way back in the day.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:08
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I read that Lemmy of Motorhead and Hawkwind also used to be a roadie for The Nice way back in the day.

I thought Lemmy was a Jimi Hendrix Experience roadie?  That guy really got around LOL 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:27
When planning Walt Disney's original Fantasia movie, they were considering doing some animation set to Wagner's "The Ride Of The Valkyries".
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 21:45
Famous Hungarian born conductor Fritz Reiner actually did conduct Bruckner, and there is a recently uncovered partial recording of Bruckner's 4th Symphony from '43 with him.

Edited by presdoug - September 26 2014 at 12:17
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 04:10
A movie about Furtwangler (played by Stellan Skarsgaard)and his prosecution by the Allies (Harvey Keitel) for being pro-Nazi. It's quite good but the best bit is when (now real life archive footage) he shakes hands with Goebbels at the end of a gig and behind his back - in full view of the audience and cameras - wipes his hands on a cloth.

The film is quite good but the reception comment at the end pretty much gives a fair assessment of the movie. It may be true to life as in films we like definitive closure which does not really happen. Although for me the above ending footage does make it definitive enough. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Sides_%28film%29
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 04:19
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

He gave Emerson that famous knife.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

A movie about Furtwangler (played by Stellan Skarsgaard)and his prosecution by the Allies (Harvey Keitel) for being pro-Nazi. It's quite good but the best bit is when (now real life archive footage) he shakes hands with Goebbels at the end of a gig and behind his back - in full view of the audience and cameras - wipes his hands on a cloth.

The film is quite good but the reception comment at the end pretty much gives a fair assessment of the movie. It may be true to life as in films we like definitive closure which does not really happen. Although for me the above ending footage does make it definitive enough. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Sides_%28film%29
Thanks for your assessment and link. Furtwangler was a courageous man in terrible times.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 08:53
French conductor Pierre Monteux did indeed conduct Bruckner, performing the first performance of the 7th Symphony by the San Francisco Symphony in May 1947.

Edited by presdoug - September 26 2014 at 12:15
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 21:04
Conductor Arturo Toscanini once declared Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet Symphony to be "some of the most beautiful music ever written".

When conductor Sir Malcolm Sargent told Sir Thomas Beecham that he had been in the Middle East, and a bullet had hit the car he was in, Beecham replied, "I had no idea they were that musical."
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 16:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Conductor Arturo Toscanini once declared Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet Symphony to be "some of the most beautiful music ever written".

When conductor Sir Malcolm Sargent told Sir Thomas Beecham that he had been in the Middle East, and a bullet had hit the car he was in, Beecham replied, "I had no idea they were that musical."
Hah! Beecham is awesome indeed!..

And almost no one better than the fantastic Toscanini to say some wise words about music and steering me towards acquiring this awesome Berlioz' symphony for sure, I can't let the time go by without knowing it!Thumbs Up

Just stunning what Berlioz wrote in his Memoirs: "Beethoven opened before me a new world of music, as Shakespeare had revealed a new universe of poetry."Clap

Edited by Rick Robson - December 11 2014 at 16:27

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 19:59
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

And almost no one better than the fantastic Toscanini to say some wise words about music and steering me towards acquiring this awesome Berlioz' symphony for sure, I can't let the time go by without knowing it!Thumbs Up

Just stunning what Berlioz wrote in his Memoirs: "Beethoven opened before me a new world of music, as Shakespeare had revealed a new universe of poetry."Clap
The inimitable Sir Thomas Beecham-what a musician and personality!
             The Romeo and Juliet Symphony is worth every note that makes it up, Ric. I would suggest Toscanini's complete recording of it, as well as Charles Munch's 1950's account, and that of Pierre Monteux in the early 1960s.
              That is interesting that quote of Berlioz. He also remarked, "I am picking up where Beethoven left off." I believe that Berlioz also conducted Beethoven's music.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 15:12

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

The inimitable Sir Thomas Beecham-what a musician and personality!
             The Romeo and Juliet Symphony is worth every note that makes it up, Ric. I would suggest Toscanini's complete recording of it, as well as Charles Munch's 1950's account, and that of Pierre Monteux in the early 1960s.
              That is interesting that quote of Berlioz. He also remarked, "I am picking up where Beethoven left off." I believe that Berlioz also conducted Beethoven's music.

Thanks for the precious info Doug! I hope I am lucky enough to find at least one of these great recordings.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 18:49
Mahler conductor Bruno Walter described the composer's 6th Symphony one time as "One great, big, resounding-NO!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>