Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDefining Prog- The Eternal Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:54
CoolAlright everyone,listen up.Since I've made about 2 or 3 hundred posts in the last 3 days,that automatically moves me up to a 7 star President-General status in the hierarchy of this site's members.In other words,I own this site now and you will all follow MY orders from now on.RIGHT? CHECK!   O.K. then,thanks to the brilliant manuvering that brought me up to this rank as of late,we have now established ongoing communications with 2 of the members of ELP.That would be Greg Lake and Karn Evalson,NO,NO,that is Keith Emerson I mean.So the first order of business and my first commands are to GET SOME ELP ALBUMS ON THE TOP 100 ASAP!,before they notice that we currently don't have a single one of their albums up there at present.O.K.,I want Welcome Back My Friends to be put in the no. 1 position immediately.Brain Salad Surgery will be placed at no. 3.Works Vol.1 at no. 7 and Greg Lake's 2005 Tour at no. 10.Carry out these orders within the next 12 hours so if they come to visit our site tomorrow ,they will see we fully support them.Also ,for the next 2 weeks ,everyone will include some pictures,posters and ELP memerabelia on all their posts for them to see.You can use photographs of the band members,album covers,Karn Eval 9 posters,etc.Whatever you can dredge up.Now I want this site to be ship-shape for our soon to be newest members,Lake and Eversan.NOW IS EVERYBODY WITH ME!! Can you give me an L! Give me an A! Give me a K! An E! Give me an E!,give me a V, ,wait,no,no,an M! Give me .an A!, wait,no,no,I mean an E! ,An L! ,no,I mean an R! ,an S! O! ,N! Lets hear a big shout for LAKE!,EVAl...no ,no,no,EMERSON!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 07:09
Please don't put people off ELP. This happened before with a previous member called Karnevil9. You're not him are you?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 08:05
Wink
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Please don't put people off ELP. This happened before with a previous member called Karnevil9. You're not him are you?
Of course not!I promise to behave from now on don't worry!But leave that last post up if you think someone might get a laugh out of it who knows what it's about ,o.k.? It's kind of a going away present to everybody that I got involved with my mistake-which remember wasn't my fault.Believe it or not it had to be a typo.You yourself know how nortorious BSS typos are. I saw you all over them when I was researching them earlier today.ELP is my favorite band, Iwould never try to put them off.Good night.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 13:38
Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

AngryThem that do,do;them that can't do,teach;and them that can't teach ctiticize.And that's all you can do since you undoubtably can't play a note of real music.YOU are the failure.I just spent 2 hours looking through internet files on typos for Karn Eval 9 to try and solve the mystery.I found nothing to explain my paradox.I even contacted Greg Lake himself and may hopefully hear back from him someday.When I google Karn Eval 9,there are many websites with that spelling reffering to ELP.You can't tell me I got the one typo album and nobody else did.Since all you're capable of is to critisize others,you should have the solution.You are the failure and all you can do is print fail to someone else to make yourself feel like you're important.What a pathetic sick joke!

This absolutely made my afternoon.  Well done sir.  Clap
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 21:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

HOWEVER your original assertion was the it was originally called Karn Eval and they changed it later. Thus far all the evidence suggests it has always been called Karn Evil.

I am not sure that any part of the Karn Eval idea makes any sense at all ... specially when the art work used in the cover suggeests something else, and was by someone whose work ... is scary for many folks, and sometimes might even be considered "evil", and eventually a lot of his art work became a massive part of the first "Alien" film.

The number 9 designation, I am not sure is necessary or that important ... and for all we know, and failed to check, the piece had 9 parts and that was that! ... something silly like that ... but it could also be just another Beatle thing ... why Revolution #9 when ... wait a minute ... where's Revolution #2?

I don't like to question the titles of things and for that reason, I do NOT name any of my poems ... and over 200 of them, use the first line for index'ing purposes, with one issue ... I have the same first line (intentional evil here Bugs Bunny style too so we can confuse all these Ducks!) on several poems ... that go in different directions.

I can not tell you why they have the same first line any more than I can why the line is the first line of the poem in there ... it's just the way it came out ... and that's that!

I think "Karn Evil 9" is more appropriate, specially when the title of the album suggests a big messy brain ...and in the end the whole thing could be about all three of them being so screwed up in their own circus that they could use a brain surgery ... or a 9th one! As it was well known that they had arguments, but they managed to smooth things out enough and move along ... but ... It doesn't matter ... it really doesn't ... but the friction in them and between them created some excellent music ... and if that is necessary for karn evil 9 to come along ... that is just fine with me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 04:51
Clap
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

AngryThem that do,do;them that can't do,teach;and them that can't teach ctiticize.And that's all you can do since you undoubtably can't play a note of real music.YOU are the failure.I just spent 2 hours looking through internet files on typos for Karn Eval 9 to try and solve the mystery.I found nothing to explain my paradox.I even contacted Greg Lake himself and may hopefully hear back from him someday.When I google Karn Eval 9,there are many websites with that spelling reffering to ELP.You can't tell me I got the one typo album and nobody else did.Since all you're capable of is to critisize others,you should have the solution.You are the failure and all you can do is print fail to someone else to make yourself feel like you're important.What a pathetic sick joke!

This absolutely made my afternoon.  Well done sir.  Clap
Your  positive response has made my evening and is appreciated and I'll even conceed to you as the winner if this is some kind of war with words if it makes you feel any better.Congradulate yourself,you deserve it by one-upping me.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 04:58
Approve
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

HOWEVER your original assertion was the it was originally called Karn Eval and they changed it later. Thus far all the evidence suggests it has always been called Karn Evil.

I am not sure that any part of the Karn Eval idea makes any sense at all ... specially when the art work used in the cover suggeests something else, and was by someone whose work ... is scary for many folks, and sometimes might even be considered "evil", and eventually a lot of his art work became a massive part of the first "Alien" film.

The number 9 designation, I am not sure is necessary or that important ... and for all we know, and failed to check, the piece had 9 parts and that was that! ... something silly like that ... but it could also be just another Beatle thing ... why Revolution #9 when ... wait a minute ... where's Revolution #2?

I don't like to question the titles of things and for that reason, I do NOT name any of my poems ... and over 200 of them, use the first line for index'ing purposes, with one issue ... I have the same first line (intentional evil here Bugs Bunny style too so we can confuse all these Ducks!) on several poems ... that go in different directions.

I can not tell you why they have the same first line any more than I can why the line is the first line of the poem in there ... it's just the way it came out ... and that's that! The most logical explanation is that I was simply the victim of a typo on an early BBS album cover and it has taken 37 years for me to discover the truth thanks to this website.

I think "Karn Evil 9" is more appropriate, specially when the title of the album suggests a big messy brain ...and in the end the whole thing could be about all three of them being so screwed up in their own circus that they could use a brain surgery ... or a 9th one! As it was well known that they had arguments, but they managed to smooth things out enough and move along ... but ... It doesn't matter ... it really doesn't ... but the friction in them and between them created some excellent music ... and if that is necessary for karn evil 9 to come along ... that is just fine with me!
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 05:17
Approve

I can not tell you why they have the same first line any more than I can why the line is the first line of the poem in there ... it's just the way it came out ... and that's that!

I thought I had this post thing figured out ,but I guess not so I'll try it again : The most logical explanation at this point is that I was the victim of a typo of the word EVAL on a very early BSS press.Since it has always been my favorite rock music work my memory is undisputable on the question.BBS and other ELP releases have an extensive history of an unusually number of typos unfortunately.It took 37 years to discover the truth with the help of this website.I never liked the spelling of EVAL(thinking possibly using it fron the word MEDIEVAL)and was glad when I saw it changed,not realizing that it never was suppose to be spelled EVAL all along.As far as the no.9 being used,I just gave it my best guess with former rock history in mind.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 05:33
Anyone game enough to start an Evel Knievel appreciation thread?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 06:17
Well done on reaching the magic 100 posts, albeit by random double posting. LOL

Approve

I thought I had this post thing figured out ,but I guess not so I'll try it again : The most logical explanation at this point is that I was the victim of a typo of the word EVAL on a very early BSS press.Since it has always been my favorite rock music work my memory is undisputable on the question.BBS and other ELP releases have an extensive history of an unusually number of typos unfortunately.It took 37 years to discover the truth with the help of this website.I never liked the spelling of EVAL(thinking possibly using it fron the word MEDIEVAL)and was glad when I saw it changed,not realizing that it never was suppose to be spelled EVAL all along.As far as the no.9 being used,I just gave it my best guess with former rock history in mind.
The #9 was explained by Keith Emerson on the liner-notes to the BSS remaster - nothing to do with the Beatles, he wanted to call the track 'Ganton 9' after an imaginary planet (ie the 9th planet orbiting a star called Ganton, just as Earth can be called 'Sol 3' in astronomical parlance).

Now, since you are a Senior Member I will officially ask you to stop disrupting threads with off-topic posts.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 06:20

Well done on reaching the magic 100 posts, albeit by random double posting. LOL

Approve

The #9 was explained by Keith Emerson on the liner-notes to the BSS remaster - nothing to do with the Beatles, he wanted to call the track 'Ganton 9' after an imaginary planet (ie the 9th planet orbiting a star called Ganton, just as Earth can be called 'Sol 3' in astronomical parlance).

Now, since you are a Senior Member I will officially ask you to stop disrupting threads with off-topic posts.

Or there was my reason it was called 9 but it is in another thread. This topic has somehow crossed threads.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 02:32
is there a grassy knoll involved here?

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 09:19
?
Pietro Otello Romano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 10:08
In my opinion, it is important to discern the artists in two categories: the proper prog artists (musicians that are part of the movement and voluntarily compose and performe prog-rock music, such as Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, or more recently Flower Kings, Spocks Beard, Magic Pie etc...) from a second category of Artists that belong to different music's genres or however they are not part of any music's genre at all, but unwittingly they produse music that for composition, execution or atmosphere, most of the time or just sometime, reminds the features of the prog music (such as Colosseum, Beatles, Santana, Cardiacs or more recently Muse, Radio Head, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, Sad Lovers and Giants, Wolfagang Press, This Mortal Coil, the Legendary Pink Dots etc...).

I Joined to this community above all because it shows an open mind on regard of these sort of unwittingly-prog bands that produce excellent music anyway and they deserve to be here, but I realize that all this is generating a bit of confusion about the definition of prog-music.

Quoting Steven Brodziak  "Chord changes, mood changes, instrumentation changes as well as vocal changes in a song can be prog" and I am quite agree with this definition, but...

I wanna quote a sentence a film,  "can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off" (the Hustler).

The great difference is here: Knowing what are you doing and above all why!
At the end of the day It's not important the definition of Prog-music, but but insted the definition of Prog-Artist.

Music fortunately is in a continous evolution and cross-contaminations are customarily.
What important above all, in my opinion,  is to be conscious (the Artist) of what are you doing and why...and of couse doing good, intelligent and intriguing music too.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 20:26
Defining Prog and defining artist can be done quite easily.

Prog = King Crimson

artist = King Crimson

seriously if i had the time i would post what is already up on the home page here under genres.

You know when you hear it but you cannot define it easily, you simly know what it is.
bowlingisfun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 19:43
So prog rock is King Crimson? I'm confused. Confused
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 09:06
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Defining Prog and defining artist can be done quite easily.

Prog = King Crimson

artist = King Crimson

seriously if i had the time i would post what is already up on the home page here under genres.

You know when you hear it but you cannot define it easily, you simly know what it is.

Exactly!
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 10:32
He gets it!!!
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

He gets it!!!

Stop it. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 12:17
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

That would take up quite a lot of space, I don't think time is even the issue.  It would take most readers longer to scroll past that post than it would to copy-paste it all.  Perhaps links would work better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>