Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreg Lake underrated as a bass player!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greg Lake underrated as a bass player!!!
    Posted: December 14 2010 at 04:04
As a professor of modern bass guitar at music high school I have a big problem of paying attention to bass guitar in music, and progressive rock is full of great players of this instrument including glorious geddy lee, virtuous john paul jones,  paul mccartney, pastorius, squier, as well as the contemporary players like john myung, colin edwin, tony levin, trey gunn etc...

But one of the most underrated bass players by my opinion is Greg Lake, who beside his great vocal and composing skills and originality plays bass incredibly awesome. Greg's bass playing is not technically complicated, nor is it fast as it is popular nowdays, but the parts he plays are considerably complex harmonically, his tone is perfect as well, and his tempo and style deserve respect. If we then assume that he sings over those lines he plays then it's worth mentioning here. In addition, Greg is difficult to find even at bass guitar forums as well.

I'd like your opinion especially by the bass players here, or at least those who understand bass playing enough.
SMART preachers of our doom
Telling us there is no room.
Not enough for all mankind
And the seas of time are running dry.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 04:13
I have always thought so.

Lead guitar he is just OK. Acoustic he is a bit of a strummer. But bass, even though not his original instrument i understand is really great. Maybe technically not so...he is no Squire ( more a squaw) but his place in the music is great. I have always love listening to it anyhow.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 14 2010 at 04:19
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 05:07

A bit off topic - couldent help it

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 05:09
^ Totally off topic. Was there no other thread to put this?
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 05:17
Well, honestly I think Lake is simply above average. I haven't heard many moments where he just blows me away musically. Another thing is, I really don't think ELP is very creative harmonically at all, and when they are, Lake is playing acoustic guitar, not bass. Or the melody is lead buy Keyboard. Regardless, ELP's a good band and Lake is a heck of a singer that also gets it done on his instrument.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 06:07
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ Totally off topic. Was there no other thread to put this?

No it isn't.  Little know fact, Greg Lake is actually a black bass player named Victor Wooten.Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 06:21
I've always felt he is a solid bass player. Maybe not the best, but he had a big job filling the bottom of rather complex music and IMHO did a great job.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 06:28
Without doubt he's an excellent bass player. listen to 21st Schizoid Man for an example. Part of the problem he had with ELP is competing with the lower keyboard/piano notes. There are instances where it's not always obvious that he's playing (e.g. towards the end of "Fugue").
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 07:13
I think Greg's bass throughout  Brain Salad Surgery surpasses any of his work on other ELP albums. (with perhaps the exception of Tank and the Fugue at the centre of Endless Enigma)
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 07:59
I thought his best bass work for ELP was on the first LP, especially Tank, The Barbarian and Take a Pebble. Love his bass on From the Beginning as well.

On later albums he seemed to get mixed down a lot - he does some great work on Pirates but you have to really strain to hear it.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 14:45
I've always rated him much higher as a lead guitarist than bass player.

Just listen to his lead work on this. What's interesting is that bass is not missed at all. 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 15:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've always rated him much higher as a lead guitarist than bass player.

Just listen to his lead work on this. What's interesting is that bass is not missed at all. 

You've said some crazy things regarding ELP but this tops them all.LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 15:25
Hi,

I only piddle on the bass ... and I am what should be called an "anti-music" musician ... because too much out there is too formulaic for my tastes and is centered around too much popular music and its simplicity.

That said, I happen to like the first 4 albums by that band, and Greg's greatest addition to it for me, is not the bass or the guitar at all ... it's his voice, as was the case with King Crimson.

It might be worth a study, but in those days, there were a lot of concepts and ideas about the "voice" being an "instrument", not just a singer in the previous ways that had been thought of. In my book, he read the poems/poetry for the effect and the two major bands he was with were very good at helping accentuate the words ... instead of simply follow some music rules and just add "lyrics" over it. There is a difference in my book ... one is Peter Hammill and the other is just another pop singer!

In the end, it is about the expression and how the music is bent, shaped, and formed around the work itself ... not just a song. At least in my way of seeing things.

That said, I am not sure that it is fair to compare him to other "bass players", when what he is doing is -- in my view -- a lot less about the bass guitar and its place in the music, than it is about making sure that this passage is accentuated better, and accounstic works better here with this and bass better here with that ... and so forth ... it is a totally different way of "composing" that has a lot less to do with "music theory" than it does with anything else.

Indeed, the music history of the last thousand years has almost all been about people doing different things ... so seeing some rock musicians do something different with it, other than the conventional stuff -- which is easier for you to teach -- as it is very difficult to teach something about ... what does it feel like to you? ... which becomes subjective and you can not teach very well ... which often tells you the trick ... to what music history was ... in the end, you revolted against the conventional, because you felt things differently!

So, Bass players worth mentioning ... in general, for rock music, I have my favorites, but I have never thought that enough of them were that open minded about the use of the instrument. I much prefer to listen to David Darling and his experiments (see if you can get a hold of EOS with Terje Rypdal ... and let's talk Bass then!), or even see how Holger Czukay can do bass on bass on bass on a bass leading ... in his first two solo albums in what amounts to pure insanity ... you pretty much can't teach that I would think.

A lot of it, depends on the music school and the place and the time. ... some of the european folks were around the best school for experimentation and improvisation in music ... and some of their instructors were some of the best named "classical" music folks out there ... and sometimes, when we are talking popular music ... we tend to separate the commercially sound players with anyone else. I love listening to Stanley Clarke, but I can't help thinking that I am listening to a professor in school. I love to listen to Bootsie ... and I can't help feeling that we're in a party having some fun! I think there is a difference and I'm not sure it is about the mechanics. I think it's the person that makes it, not necessarily the instrument.

But in terms of making the music special and stand out? I would say John Entwistle was quite innovative, and I like the way that Lothar Meid colors Amon Duul 2 in Yeti, Dance of the Lemmings, Wolf City and Vive La Trance, it's hard to not appreciate someone like the late Pekka Pohjola ... and I'm coming to appreciate more and more the work  that Mike Howlett did on Gong ... he's now the leader in an Australian music school, which tells you what kind of people he was playing with.

I still think that Chris Squire is very good, but his greatest contribution was splitting the heads and hairs on many technicians so he could get his bass pickups to do two different things, and sound "stereo" at that time ... which of course is not even thought about today with all the electronics available. But we should never take away to the massively skilled and insane playing of his in Tales from Topographic Oceans ... I doubt you can teach anyone to be that free and all over the place and do something different all the time, unless you have a special feel for the very music you are creating ... again ... it's less the instrument and more the music itself ... that helps create the work that goes into it ... you feel so fine about this passage, you want to make it better ... and that is not something that you can teach "notes" and "scales" about ... that is something that you can only hoppe to meet someone that "melts" into the music once in your life, so you know what it is ... and will spend the rest of your life figuring out how to teach others to do it ...  hint ... kids are the best teachers for you on this!

In general, and I don't mean it in a bad way, I do think that too many bass players mentioned, even in progressive music, are over rated ... and they have limited their musical ability to one style or song concept and are no longer developing their musical life ... way further ... than just popular music, or "acceptable" music, or "progressive" music  ... or at least expand the music itself, not just the bass and chords so it becomes something other than ... just music ... but still, not  "limited" to a set of chords and notes ... that usually fits a song structure of some sort.

Edited by moshkito - December 14 2010 at 20:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 01:50
Your knowledge of music Moshkito is quite awe inspiring. (however I understood very little of it which is the same with a lot of your posts..sorry)

Snowy - What on earth have I said that is ''crazy'' exactly? ELP is a band that I feel on pretty solid ground talking about on a musical level. I find a lot of Greg's bass work pretty uninspiring but as we know it was not his instrument of choice. However in King Crimson there was only ever going to be one lead guitarist and we know who that is!!
ELP decided to go the trio route so Greg again was stuck mainly playing bass but at least ELP gave him the chance to show his ablity on lead occasionally as evidenced by Lucky Man, Battlefield and sections of KE9. It seems though that after 1974 he virtually gave up bothering with lead altogether.Brain Salad Surgery is the last album he ever played lead on which is a great shame in my book. But please feel free to disagee.Smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 01:57

Your knowledge of music Moshkito is quite awe inspiring. (however I understood very little of it which is the same with a lot of your posts..sorry)

Snowy - What on earth have I said that is ''crazy'' exactly? ELP is a band that I feel on pretty solid ground talking about on a musical level. I find a lot of Greg's bass work pretty uninspiring but as we know it was not his instrument of choice. However in King Crimson there was only ever going to be one lead guitarist and we know who that is!!
ELP decided to go the trio route so Greg again was stuck mainly playing bass but at least ELP gave him the chance to show his ablity on lead occasionally as evidenced by Lucky Man, Battlefield and sections of KE9. It seems though that after 1974 he virtually gave up bothering with lead altogether.Brain Salad Surgery is the last album he ever played lead on which is a great shame in my book. But please feel free to disagee.Smile

Well I f you don't know I am probably a bigger fan than you are so everything you say above I already know of course. But I'm sure he plays guitar on Works 2 (Tiger in a Spotlight)

But I'm sure about 99% of ELP fans would agree...his guitar playing especially lead is really not up to much,pleasent though it is.

Oh..and the crazy talk id prefering the single version of Fanfare. I so strongly disagree. The short version is just plain dull to me. As you know even Copeland thought so.

Actually he plays a little electric on Love Beach too.

Anyway I feel a poll coming on.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 15 2010 at 02:21
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 07:16
I do not underrate Greg Lake. His bass playing on Pictures at an Exhibition is awesome.
He is one of my favourite bass players next to Chris Squire, John Wetton, Tony Levin and Pete Trewavas. 
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 07:27
Originally posted by parapet parapet wrote:

As a professor of modern bass guitar at music high school I have a big problem of paying attention to bass guitar in music, and progressive rock is full of great players of this instrument including glorious geddy lee, virtuous john paul jones,  paul mccartney, pastorius, squier, as well as the contemporary players like john myung, colin edwin, tony levin, trey gunn etc...

But one of the most underrated bass players by my opinion is Greg Lake, who beside his great vocal and composing skills and originality plays bass incredibly awesome. Greg's bass playing is not technically complicated, nor is it fast as it is popular nowdays, but the parts he plays are considerably complex harmonically, his tone is perfect as well, and his tempo and style deserve respect. If we then assume that he sings over those lines he plays then it's worth mentioning here. In addition, Greg is difficult to find even at bass guitar forums as well.

I'd like your opinion especially by the bass players here, or at least those who understand bass playing enough.

?Confused?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 15:18

Well if you don't know I am probably a bigger fan than you are

Well I'm six foot three and over 16 stone. Can you beat that?
Smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 16:02

Smile

A bit shorter but a lot heavier.LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 01:40

Smile

A bit shorter but a lot heavier.LOL
call it a draw thenBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>