Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Musical Box (Genesis Coverband)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 12:17
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Saw the Musical Box last night in LA, it was awesome! They played Lamb Lies Down flawlessly, and I forgot they were a cover band and listened to their music. It was really good, and a nice treat for Genesis fans that hasn't seen them in the 70's. Afterwards they played Musical Box and Watcher of the Skies. That was awesome. 

What sized crowd did they draw?

Was it sold out?

Where were you seated, The Wrinkler? I was there with my gf in the 4th row. Big smile

Amd Nov, it wasn't sold out at all. There were plenty of empty seats, especially in the back. AWESOME show nonetheless. Clap
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 00:50
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Saw the Musical Box last night in LA, it was awesome! They played Lamb Lies Down flawlessly, and I forgot they were a cover band and listened to their music. It was really good, and a nice treat for Genesis fans that hasn't seen them in the 70's. Afterwards they played Musical Box and Watcher of the Skies. That was awesome. 

What sized crowd did they draw?

Was it sold out?

Where were you seated, The Wrinkler? I was there with my gf in the 4th row. Big smile

Amd Nov, it wasn't sold out at all. There were plenty of empty seats, especially in the back. AWESOME show nonetheless. Clap

The place seated 1400 so I guessing 900 to 1000 in attendance. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 15:22
Y'all got me stoked. My brother is taking me next week for my birthday. I took him to PG in the summer for his.

I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. I may dissolve into multicolored light particles when they play Carpet Crawlers.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 21:25
^ I hope you enjoy it, Negoba. There were moments when the surreality of the show took hold of my mind quite strongly.
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 22:24

The following is an excerpt from a post on my blog. For the full article go to:

The Musical Box performs The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway near perfection.

So here we are, seating centre-stage on the second row of the balcony on a rather intimate venue. The lights go out and we hear a familiar voice talking about a story about "our hero" who gets sucked underground in Manhattan island. The voice, very similar to Peter Gabriel's ends the introduction with: "This is the Story of Rael". What follows is the entire album played throughout from beginning to end. All along, there are an assortment of effects like fog, lights, slide shows and costume changes as well as some excellent musicianship and some of the best progressive rock ever composed.

The Musical Box does a perfect
recreation of Genesis' most creative show ever.

"Finally", I said to myself. After all, this was the first time that I was able to put all the visuals I have seen before in sync with the show. "So, this is when he changes into the slipperman costume". I found myself entertained just by the mere fact that now I know how to put the various photos I've seen before into context. I was worried that I would have found the theatrics to be silly but instead, I found them very entertaining and instrumental in moving the narrative along.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2011 at 20:26

^ I hope you enjoy it, Negoba. There were moments when the surreality of the show took hold of my mind quite strongly.

As much as I liked the recent show I felt the one we saw in 2005 was better.  There were some musical warts in this one I did not hear in the earlier show. which was almost flawless  I also thought the guy who played the guitar, drums and keyboard were not as sharp as the guys who played earlier.  Martin Levac, who played drums back then not only played like Phil Collins he was left handed and looked like him.  Same with the guitar player and his similarity to Steve Hackett. 

Even still had the time of my life listening to some great music played live. 

Edited by Garion81 - October 30 2011 at 20:27

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 10:14
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

As much as I liked the recent show I felt the one we saw in 2005 was better.  There were some musical warts in this one I did not hear in the earlier show. which was almost flawless  I also thought the guy who played the guitar, drums and keyboard were not as sharp as the guys who played earlier.  Martin Levac, who played drums back then not only played like Phil Collins he was left handed and looked like him.  Same with the guitar player and his similarity to Steve Hackett. 

Yeah, I noticed them too. The most notorious one was when "Mike"'s guitar/bass couldn't be heard at the start of "Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist." I thought "Phil"'s drumming was pretty spot on, although the left-handedness would've been an added bonus.

"Steve" didn't look like Steve too much but nonetheless, a great concert and I hope to see them again Clap
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 10:30
Well I'll give me report on Thursday. I don't have anything to compare to but I have no problem with tribute bands. I think they sometimes are better than the original in certain ways. Since I don't have the original as an option, I'm still very excited.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 11:59
Gonna see The Lamb show as well in February when they're coming to Oslo. Can't wait!

The videoclip I saw on youtube was just like seeing Genesis back in their prime.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 17:27

Yeah, I noticed them too. The most notorious one was when "Mike"'s guitar/bass couldn't be heard at the start of "Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist." I thought "Phil"'s drumming was pretty spot on, although the left-handedness would've been an added bonus.

"Steve" didn't look like Steve too much but nonetheless, a great concert and I hope to see them again Clap

The other issue for me was I saw the Lamb show back then so maybe I was more aware of things the second time around but I am pretty sure the Keyboard player messed up the transition from the intro on Watcher of the Skies.  Hopefully if they ever make it back out here they will do a different show, SEBTP or Foxtrot.  They are still worth the ticket. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 10:42

The other issue for me was I saw the Lamb show back then so maybe I was more aware of things the second time around but I am pretty sure the Keyboard player messed up the transition from the intro on Watcher of the Skies.  Hopefully if they ever make it back out here they will do a different show, SEBTP or Foxtrot.  They are still worth the ticket. 
Yeah, that was probably it. Let's hope so...I'd like to see either of those 2 albums being performed.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 10:02
Tonight!!! Listening to the Lamb on repeat this morning.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 10:54
^ You best!
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2011 at 08:29
So the show was overall an amazing experience. There were some mix issues all night, but of course there were mix issues on the original studio recording too. Hearing the Hackett parts where they should have been was nice, hearing the keyboards not balanced was less fun.

When they opened, I thought "this will be fun" but by the time we were at "In the Cage" it was just an amazing experience. The original slides were awesome, including the hilarious visuals for "Counting Out Time." The Slipperman costume was cool of course.

The song "Musical Box" was just amazing. I was not only just grinning ear to ear at this band's perfect performance but it just hammered home how crazy talented the original Genesis was. "Watcher of the Skies" wasn't quite as sharp but highlights just how friggin heavy Genesis could be.

I would love to see the SEBtP tour version complete with Moonlit Knight and Supper's Ready.

But Bravo to a great show.
robinator7991 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 16:05
Saw their lamb tour last friday at the vic theatre. AMAZING!
langmick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 07:49
Saw them in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago, and going to see them in Royal Oak tonight. Great show.

http://echoesofpinkfloyd.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinkfloydtributeband.net
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 09:24
I was sitting with a number of old timers who had seen the original Lamb tour and they were impressed. One of the best stories was that the first show (I think in Chicago) was before the album came out. On everyone's chair was a program with all the extra text. Needless to say the experience was very strange with a double album's worth of completely new material.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123