Topic ClosedEllipsis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ellipsis
    Posted: December 15 2010 at 13:11

Ellipsis is a progressive metal band from Grenoble, Rhone-Alpes, France consisting of Emmanuelson (vocals, guitar, keyboards), Phil Arm's (guitar), F.L.A. Eklektika (bass, backing vocals) and Man X (drums).I caught up with the band for their story. Guitarist & vocalist Emmanuelson answered my questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe ProgArchives biography on Ellipsis is pretty accurate. But why did you choose that name and which bands was your main inspirations ?

We have chosen this name because is an original name with no particular musical aspect.
Like us, we built a strange metal and we need a strange name for strange universe, our universe I hope.
We like many bands like : Devin Townsend, Enslaved, Dream Theater, Metallica, Textures, Alice In Chains, Faith No More, Magma, Waltari, Type O Negative, Bill Laswell, John Zorn, Kyuss, Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, King's X and many many more, it's like a drug, wu must discover all the time new bands and old bands too.

Over to your releases. Please give me your (long or brief) thoughts and lowdowns on.......

Build The Nation from 1999

First Mcd, strange fusion with Senser, Waltari and Neurosis influences...

Comastory from 2003

First album with the more progressive approach and with psyche touches. With Comastory, we have signed a deal with Adipocere for 2 albums

From Beyond Thematics from 2004

Second album on Adipocere Records more doom, progressive and with a rock and epic touch, some touches of experiment music like King Crimson on some parts og in other side Alice In Chains. Produced by Terje Refsnes (Theater Of Tragedy, Nightmare, Sirenia...)
With this album, we have made all the shows of OPETH in France, very nice experience !!!

Imperial Tzadik from 2006

Second album with Terje more melodic than ever with powerful parts and more symphonic approach with guests like Tore Otsby (ARK)
On tour with ARCTURUS for this album. Amazing experience

The Grace Decapitated from 2009

The more agressive than ever, a new approach for Ellipsis. We stay crazy on this album with thrash parts and powerful ideas and experiments.
With Enslaved influences and stoner vibes. With guests like members of Hydrogyn, Nightmare....
How is your writing and creative processes ?

The next album of ELLIPSIS for 2012 is called : Sadistikal Mentaculus
We work on this new one with Joe from Veloce Hystorian for the orchestral parts. S.M. will be composed by only one song of 45, 50 minutes, a big challenge for us. With a lot of guests, big surprises but It's to early to speak about them, lol...
Most ProgArchives readers does not know your music. How would you describe your music to those here who are unfamiliar with your band ?

Psycho Metal because is very difficult to analyse the music and we change a lot but we keep a dark side !
In the Ellipsis music, you can find Progressive influences but Metal, Rock, Jazz, extreme parts, strange sound or experiment sound, no limits to give a new shuffle of the music, try !!!

Is any of the Ellipsis members involved in any other bands or projects ?  

We have now a rock 'n' roll band WHISKY OF BLOOD (www.myspace.com/whiskyofblood) because we love the bands of the eighties !!
We record the album for february 2011, new adventure more easy maybe, lol....
After I have new projects THALIA (www.myspace.com/thaliaforestofminds) new album for 2011 too : mix of King's X, Rush, Living Colour, Muse and more...very cool project
My own's project : EMMANUELSON : Me against the world with John Macaluso (ARK, James La Brie, ex-TNT...) for the drums...Some fans asks me the kind. Difficult : a mix of Faith No More, Alice In Chains or Mr Bungle with Alice In Chain caress.. lol. I don't know....
I hope to have time to finish the projects for 2011
Is music your main occupation or do any of you have daytime jobs outside the music scene ?  

I work in a metal shop : Backstage And I write for Metallian Magazine in France
What is your latest update and your plans for this and next year ?
I want to finish Thalia and Whisky Of Blood's albums to work on Sadistikal Mentaculus, very exciting project !!!
To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?
Thanx Torodd. Stay Psycho !!!

Thank you to Emmanuelson for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage's here

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - December 15 2010 at 13:21
 Post Reply Post Reply