Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGryphon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 10:03

Amazing band ..Getting more albums right now.

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 16:13
Originally posted by pied piper pied piper wrote:

Gryphon has always been one of my favourite bands ever, since I first heard Raindance in 1976, and I've always been amazed by the musicians' skill, to say nothing of writing talents.
I dare say that I love Gryphon's stuff because it's so... empathic with my mind: I recognize the melodic / harmonic / rhytm lines and patterns as they would have written by myself.
Perhaps that's why I got friend with the band members (I met Gulland in 1979) and I was very glad to get an invitation for their reunion concert (and dinner, later) last year. 
An amazing night with Harvey, Gulland, Taylor, Oberlé, Jon Davie and Graham Preskett.

wow!!!

I see you come from Italy... tell me more about the meeting with the band... where did you find them?
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 22:13
The first 3 albums are amazing, got the report that they blow off Yes from the stage when they toured together

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 17:21
^^^

they even sounded like Yes (a bit) in their Treason album (which is very good, btw)... eh eh heeh
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:16
I've only heard parts of the one mentioned album, and really liked it. When I first became a member of this site, the album was on the top 100 PA list (a couple years ago).
Z
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:21
After seeing Red Queen To Gryphon Three praised to high heaven on this sight for a long time, I finally picked up a copy a few months ago. It is very, very good. I do feel that my expectations were rather too high though and it is not the mind blowing masterpiece that many claim it to be. It is however, as I said, very very good.
pied piper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 05:46
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Gryphon has always been one of my favourite bands ever, since I first heard Raindance in 1976, and I've always been amazed by the musicians' skill, to say nothing of writing talents.
I dare say that I love Gryphon's stuff because it's so... empathic with my mind: I recognize the melodic / harmonic / rhytm lines and patterns as they would have written by myself.
Perhaps that's why I got friend with the band members (I met Gulland in 1979) and I was very glad to get an invitation for their reunion concert (and dinner, later) last year. 
An amazing night with Harvey, Gulland, Taylor, Oberlé, Jon Davie and Graham Preskett.

wow!!!

I see you come from Italy... tell me more about the meeting with the band... where did you find them?

It's a long story...
I chanced to meet Brian Gulland (and to have a nice chat with) in 1979, in Florence, after a gig he held with the French band Malicorne.
Of course, I've always kept in mind this meeting, not daring to think that he could remember me.
But he did remember! I got his wife's friendship on social network, and the other members' too. So, when Gryphon regrouped for a concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London, I was suddenly told, so I could book a seat in the first row. 
Brian Gulland recognised me (after 30 years!), and told me to remain after the concert. I am a graphic artist (and a spare time musician, too) and I had released a celebrating cartoon mini poster for the evening, which I handled to the group's members (it can be seen on their official website).
Then, after the gig, we had a nice time in the pizzeria near to the theatre, chatting about everything. I was really excited...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 09:33

wow!!!

It's a long story...
I chanced to meet Brian Gulland (and to have a nice chat with) in 1979, in Florence, after a gig he held with the French band Malicorne.
Of course, I've always kept in mind this meeting, not daring to think that he could remember me.
But he did remember! I got his wife's friendship on social network, and the other members' too. So, when Gryphon regrouped for a concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London, I was suddenly told, so I could book a seat in the first row. 
Brian Gulland recognised me (after 30 years!), and told me to remain after the concert. I am a graphic artist (and a spare time musician, too) and I had released a celebrating cartoon mini poster for the evening, which I handled to the group's members (it can be seen on their official website).
Then, after the gig, we had a nice time in the pizzeria near to the theatre, chatting about everything. I was really excited...

You can consider yourself a very lucky person. Gryphon's always been one of my favorite bands, but I never had a chance to see them, what to speak of meeting them.
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:26

These last few years I spent a bundle replacing my old favorite LPs onto CD and discovering new/old stuff and growing my Prog collection.   I've slowed my pace a lot because I'm in a good place now, but oddly this is the last Prog CD I just bought a few days ago.  I'd never heard it before, but have been reading about it for years as a classic.   Oddly it doesn't rank as high in PA as I thought it would (since so many of the books out there on Prog hail it as a classic).    Yeah it gets a good score, but I don't think its in the Top 100 PA albums.  Anyway, its terrific and reminds me a bit of the great Harmonium classic.

Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 18:38
I don't like them much. RQtGT was a huge disappointment. I have forgotten how it sounds - haven't listened to it for years, and I've gotten rid of my copy. The debut was more appealing to me, but increased exposure to more authentic folk music made me think that its renditions are somewhat too silly and too 'perfectionist' and don't communicate the all-important authentic folk vibe at all.    

Edited by Paravion - January 16 2011 at 18:44
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 18:43
Gryphon wasn't ever a favorite of mine either, although I do very much like Midnight Mushrumps title track.

Edited by A Person - January 16 2011 at 18:43
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 19:22
Gryphon was one of the first "Prog" bands I got into long ago (starting with Midnight Mushrumps) and got back into much later, but am now not so into. I like all of the studio albums.  I do find Red Queen... too formulaic, though.  Each piece is too structurally the same for me, and I would like more variation/ variety in the pieces.  Gryphon's version of "The Unquiet Grave" (a traditional song) from the debut is a  favourite of mine.

About six years ago Gryphon would have been my favourite listed in PA's Prog Folk category, but then I discovered acid folk.

One Gryphon album I wish I hadn't got was Glastonbury Carol.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 20:17
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Interesting. I've listened to RQTG3, Midnight Mushrumps and the s/t several times, but I could never get into them. Great instrumentalists, but I simply couldn't find the outcome of their work exciting. I suppose I'll have to listen again sometimes.

That's pretty much how I feel.
But I did end up getting Treason after all,and absolutely love it.
Shake & bake.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 20:22

wow!!!

It's a long story...

Very nice,and good for you.
Shake & bake.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 06:02
The first four albums are all worthy additions to any Prog Rock collection - The first is more traditional folk rock with unusual instrumentation including oboes. They do get more progressive and less folk influenced with each album, but each album is distinctive in its own way (one thing they don't do is repeat themselves). Raindance (4th album) has the brilliant 'Ein Klein Heldenleben' suite which is my favourite Gryphon piece. Red Queen is all instrumental and is their most consistent album and also their most highly regarded. Line up changes affected the quality of their fifth album 'Treason' and I personally find this one very difficult to get into to. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 20:44
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Interesting. I've listened to RQTG3, Midnight Mushrumps and the s/t several times, but I could never get into them. Great instrumentalists, but I simply couldn't find the outcome of their work exciting. I suppose I'll have to listen again sometimes.

Just let go of the progressive ideas, and simply listen to it when you are having tea anc crumpets and maybe even reading a Shakespeare play!

Try it. ... you might like it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 20:45
I need to give RQTGT a re-listen.
pied piper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 04:40
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The first four albums are all worthy additions to any Prog Rock collection - The first is more traditional folk rock with unusual instrumentation including oboes. They do get more progressive and less folk influenced with each album, but each album is distinctive in its own way (one thing they don't do is repeat themselves). Raindance (4th album) has the brilliant 'Ein Klein Heldenleben' suite which is my favourite Gryphon piece. Red Queen is all instrumental and is their most consistent album and also their most highly regarded. Line up changes affected the quality of their fifth album 'Treason' and I personally find this one very difficult to get into to. 
Raindance was the first Gryphon album I purchased, 34 years ago, and I liked it at first hearing. But Ein Klein Heldenleben was a real jump on the chair... I suppose I'd fallen in love with the band with that tune.
Treason is a good album but, IMHO, slightly easier than the previous works. Major Disaster is nothing but a simple pop tune (with a strange mediaeval middle eight). Best songs are the opening long Spring Song and the bizarre Falero Lady.
King Lerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 19:47
A few months ago I bought Red Queen to Gryphon Three for the princely sum of $3.99.  I had never heard of the band but the album art and the songs seemed like my cup of tea so I gambled that extensive sum and was not disappointed.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:07
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

I don't like them much. RQtGT was a huge disappointment. I have forgotten how it sounds - haven't listened to it for years, and I've gotten rid of my copy. The debut was more appealing to me, but increased exposure to more authentic folk music made me think that its renditions are somewhat too silly and too 'perfectionist' and don't communicate the all-important authentic folk vibe at all.    

Considering this band, anywhere near the "folk" side of things would be incorrect in my view.

This is electric, elizabethean music at its best ... and probably should be appreciated as such. The only issue is that the sound/compositional side of this is somewhat limited, thus, the band expanding this would be hard and it would likely become something else.

For my tastes, and this is a musically exceptional bunch of folks, this is the high level of musical education in the Brittish areas. And for their work they got an A+ and even had one of their compositions adjusted to match a play at the West End (Midnight Mushrumps) ... which tells you, again, that a lot of progressive and experimental folks, were not exactly waiting for the definition of the music to come alive later ... they were experimenting and working what they saw.

This is exceptional musicianship like you will rarely hear it on most rock or jazz musicians in the popular idioms!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>