Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGryphon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:16
That kind of elizabethean music often bores me, but here it works. Their counterpoint is fantastic
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 12:20
I bought Raindance recently, and love it to bits! Only one of theirs i have heard, though, so far
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 12:52
I think there are some nice tracks on all of their lp's....my favorite is Red Queen....
I either play that one or a compilation cd I have.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 12:57
Seeing Gryphon open for Yes during the Relayer tour was by far the most wonderful treat I've ever been given by a warm-up act. They were warm, humorous, dexterous, and fantastically entertaining.

Shortly thereafter, I found a DJ copy of RQTG3 at a record store. I still get a huge smile every time a track shuffles forth on the iPod that dwells in my car. I really enjoy the first three Gryphon albums, and RQTG3 stands out as a shining example of how woodwinds can be integrated into progressive rock.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 23:06
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Seeing Gryphon open for Yes during the Relayer tour was by far the most wonderful treat I've ever been given by a warm-up act. They were warm, humorous, dexterous, and fantastically entertaining.

Shortly thereafter, I found a DJ copy of RQTG3 at a record store. I still get a huge smile every time a track shuffles forth on the iPod that dwells in my car. I really enjoy the first three Gryphon albums, and RQTG3 stands out as a shining example of how woodwinds can be integrated into progressive rock.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that Gryphon opened for Yes.  My 1st Yes show was the next tour with Gentle Giant as openers.  Yes sure had great taste in opening bands in those days.  Anyway, I've heard a few Gryphon albums and Red Queen... is my clear favourite.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 12:54
I've always loved Midnight Mushrumps and think it is as good as Red Queen personally. I have yet to check out Raindances, but i will soon. 
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

That kind of elizabethean music often bores me, but here it works. Their counterpoint is fantastic

I agree. At the time I had also bought Gentle Giant's Octopus. A week later Gryphon's Red Queen. Both offered an enjoyable similarity full of crumhorns, oboes, bassoons, recorders, and yes, intricate counterpoint.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 21:11
Gryphon opened for Yes and their "Relayer" show, 16 November 1974, Normal Illinois USA.  

They were visually interesting, as I recall the drummer was unique in that he stood for the entire show & used his drum kit in a unique manner.  I was impressed with their energy and unique instruments (recorder, sackbut etc.).

And then Yes came out and blew the top of my skull off.  I've never recovered. 

Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 18:38
Going way back when I first was introduced to Yes, and I'm talking 1972, CTTE was the 1st album I bought. It was a hard album to top. My 1st Gentle Giant album was Free Hand and it took me about a year to warm up to because I always compared it to Yes. Over the years Free Hand is almost on par with CTTE. So predictably my 1st Gryphon album was RQTG3. Again this took about a year to warm up to because i was comparing it to GG. Since then I've come to appreciate all 3 great albums for possessing unique qualities in their own right. I think everyone should have RQTG3 in their collection. It really is a quite unique astonishing album.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 23:54

Gryphon had one of the more extreme changes between their debut and second LPs, with the first largely given over to traditional folk tunes, though admittedly far from traditional arrangements.  Done to often hilarious effect, especially in Estampie, where the bassoon player slips in riffs from Chattanooga Choo Choo, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and the main riff from Cream’s Politician.  The Devil and the Farmer’s Wife is one of the funnier things put to record, with its voice characterizations of the Devil and the Little Devils, the varied guitar treatments, and the hilariously out-of-place Maple Leaf Rag riff at the end.

RQTG3 is, as noted by others in this thread, is an astonishing album.  In its own way, I think it equals King Crimson’s best work in its contrasts of quiet, pastoral moments to ones more driving and rhythmic.

Midnight Mushrumps I’ve found a bit harder to get close to but it has its great moments too.

Raindance may actually be my favorite, though it has shorter tracks (except for the epic Ein Klein Heldenleben).  The title track is one of the more evocative instrumentals I’ve ever heard, and its effortless segue into the Beatles’ Mother Nature’s Son gets me every time.

Treason I very recently bought, and my immediate impression was that it sounds like a whole other band recorded it (which is partially true) but not awful by any means. Clap

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 17:24
Yes, Gryphon!  As I'm also into the darker side of prog, I discovered them way to late.

The folk label might be a bit misleading where Red Queen is concerned. Maybe that's why I ignored it for so long. It's really great for anyone who likes woodwinds and inctricate counterpoint. People into these aspects should give Gryphon a chance, even if they are sceptical about folk!

Check out, midnight mushrooms as well OP, it's nearly as great imho.

The comments here make me consider getting Rain Dances as well.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 18:37
Only know their first and RQTGT, which are very different, and I don't like either.  For the first, so many bands did similar work much better.  It sounds soulless and without emotion to me, like a medieval musician afraid that slipping up might mean a premature beheading.  As for RQTGT, no matter how many times I listened I found it just so much uninteresting doodling.  I've never tried anything else
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 11:48
I own all Gryphon studio albums except Treason. My favorite are Gryphon and RQTGT, so if you don't like those, I don't recommend Midnight Mushrumps and Raindances, either. I find the material duller, but that's partly because I prefer their livelier and Renaissaince-influenced material such as Kemp's Jig, Estampie, the Juniper Suite, Ethelion and parts of RQTGT.
However, I do have a soft spot for the last track on both Midnight Mushrumps and Raindances, Ethelion and (Ein Klein) Heldenleben, respectively.
crushingteeth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 18:32
Treason is definitely one of my favorites of their material. I love the apparent classical influence in Red Queen to Gryphon Three but Treason has some weird melodies that get stuck in my head quite a lot (chorus of Round & Round especially). 
Cut your limbs free.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 00:31
I like the first three albums. I really like them. Radiance is (for me) not a great album. I've just done a review on it. yestarday or so. Treason  is pretty nice, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123