Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Free: Honor Thy Drummer: A Tribute to Mike Portnoy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFree: Honor Thy Drummer: A Tribute to Mike Portnoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free: Honor Thy Drummer: A Tribute to Mike Portnoy
    Posted: December 26 2010 at 04:34
Hey everyone,

let me plug this nice little project that I've helped out with a bit - I imagine quite a few people here might enjoy it! Big smile
I'll post the full press release in the News section as well, but since this is a free project, I think it belongs in this subforum, too! Smile

December 25, 2010 – Independent musicians, graphic artists, and a computer graphics demogroup have collaborated on a grand scale multimedia tribute to Mike Portnoy, in celebration of over a quarter of a century of highly influential musicianship.  (...) - Full press release available on the website!

Music Videos

In Progress featuring Mark Zonder - Leave Now

Standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K979aqwpDLE

HQ Audio:  http://www.vimeo.com/17753235

Halcyon - RockyProg

Standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqvaQMQqiYI

HQ Audio: http://www.vimeo.com/16042629

Full Album Download

www.spaceprog.com

mirror

www.freempf.co.cc

Edited by Kyo - December 26 2010 at 04:45
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 04:40
The links to download don't seem to work.
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 04:46
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The links to download don't seem to work.

Oops, I keep forgetting ProgArchives needs an http:// in front of everything regardless of URL tags. Thanks, fixed it! :)

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 04:51
I don't understand how it is a tribute. I don't recognise any of the songs.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 04:54
Oh, wow, so much honour ... okay, he deserves it ... now is Mike already informed about this??

Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:08

I never quite understood why a tribute should always be a collection of cover songs. Isn't that boring? LOL

Anyway, it's all explained in the press release - these are artists/bands that were influenced by Mike and his projects and music that was in part inspired by his work. There are personal comments from the artists regarding Mike's influence on them in the booklet. Smile

Edited by Kyo - December 26 2010 at 05:09

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:09
Ok I get it. A load of bands promoting themselves by using Portnoy's name in the title. And a few quotes about how great an influence he is in the booklet. Otherwise no connection whatsoever.

But..it is free music so maybe worth a listen.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 26 2010 at 05:09
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:10
Originally posted by Kyo Kyo wrote:

I never quite understood why a tribute should always be a collection of cover songs. Isn't that boring? LOL

Anyway, it's all explained in the press release - these are artists/bands that were influenced by Mike and his projects and music that was in part inspired by his work. There are personal comments from the artists regarding Mike's influence on them in the booklet. Smile

Sorry I posted my comment above before I saw this But I can't see how it can be a tribute otherwise..

Edited by Snow Dog - December 26 2010 at 05:12
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:17

Sorry I posted my comment above before I saw this But I can't see how it can be a tribute otherwise..

As I said, I think the idea that a tribute has to be a bunch of cover songs is pretty random. I think it's actually more of a tribute when people present something that shows the importance of the original artist's work for those paying tribute in a musical way rather than just copy something that has been done before. I actually think the best tributes are  completely original compositions written explicitely for that purpose.

If Mike's influence is always apparent in all of these contributions is another question and one that you should probably ask the guy who produced the whole thing. LOL

Edited by Kyo - December 26 2010 at 05:17

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:25

As I said, I think the idea that a tribute has to be a bunch of cover songs is pretty random. I think it's actually more of a tribute when people present something that shows the importance of the original artist's work for those paying tribute in a musical way rather than just copy something that has been done before. I actually think the best tributes are  completely original compositions written explicitely for that purpose.

If Mike's influence is always apparent in all of these contributions is another question and one that you should probably ask the guy who produced the whole thing. LOL

I will give it a listen anyhow.

But the majority of people who buy for example a Rush tribute album....want Rush songs imo. The Concert for Freddie Mercury would have for example been pointless without the |Queen covers.
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 05:42

But the majority of people who buy for example a Rush tribute album....want Rush songs imo.

Well, the people on Mike's own forum are loving it, so I'd say the lack of cover songs is not as big a deal as you're making it out to be. Smile

Also, notice how people buying a tribute is completely backwards? A tribute is supposed something that is given, not something that you charge money for.

Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 10:45
Er... what's up with the overzealous moderation? How does this thread belong in "Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio"? Nobody involved is available for cover tune shows and nobody is broadcasting anything, either...

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 11:14

How does this thread belong in "Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio"? 

Honor Thy Drummer: A Tribute to Mike Portnoy

Wink

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 12:10

Er... what's up with the overzealous moderation? How does this thread belong in "Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio"? Nobody involved is available for cover tune shows and nobody is broadcasting anything, either...
"Overzealous" would be moving it to "Just For Fun" Stern Smile Though less spamming generally results in less overzealotting.

Okay - how about "Music inspired by..." because it isn't a Tribute (with a capital "T") either.

A plug is a plug is a plug -"Get The Word Out".
What?
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 12:22
Quote Okay - how about "Music inspired by..." because it isn't a Tribute (with a capital "T") either.

I think it's up to everyone himself how he pays tribute to someone, wouldn't you agree?

Quote A plug is a plug is a plug -"Get The Word Out".

Guess I just feel that the distinction between that and "Recommendations" is discrimination against the artists who are willing to participate in the forum, because we all know that hardly anyone reads these "Get the word out" forums anyway. If you want to get some discussion going about something you're involved in, it won't happen here. If you want it to make the front page, you have to post it in "Press Releases and News" (where my press release post got deleted - just brilliant!), where obviously there won't be a lot of discussion of anything, either. The whole forum structure is so obviously designed against any sensible participation by music creators and the moderation is just making things even less pleasant by enforcing these counterproductive subdivisions.

But yeah, if you want to move it, it makes a lot more sense to put it here than to have it in "Tribute bands & radio", which after all is a forum meant to be about live performances of covers and live broadcasts - none of which have anything to do at all with this compilation project.

Edited by Kyo - December 26 2010 at 12:30

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 13:31

Quote Okay - how about "Music inspired by..." because it isn't a Tribute (with a capital "T") either.

I think it's up to everyone himself how he pays tribute to someone, wouldn't you agree?

Quote A plug is a plug is a plug -"Get The Word Out".

Guess I just feel that the distinction between that and "Recommendations" is discrimination against the artists who are willing to participate in the forum, because we all know that hardly anyone reads these "Get the word out" forums anyway. If you want to get some discussion going about something you're involved in, it won't happen here. If you want it to make the front page, you have to post it in "Press Releases and News" (where my press release post got deleted - just brilliant!), where obviously there won't be a lot of discussion of anything, either. The whole forum structure is so obviously designed against any sensible participation by music creators and the moderation is just making things even less pleasant by enforcing these counterproductive subdivisions.

But yeah, if you want to move it, it makes a lot more sense to put it here than to have it in "Tribute bands & radio", which after all is a forum meant to be about live performances of covers and live broadcasts - none of which have anything to do at all with this compilation project.
With two possible exceptions ("unsigned" and "prog tribute bands") every section in the main Progressive Music Lounges (including "Prog News, Press Releases") is related to bands and artists listed the Progressive Archves.

Everybody wants their latest project or latest release on the front page, but unless you are an artist listed in the archives it isn't going to happen.

If you don't agree with that, then I'm sure you will find other websites and forums were you can promote yourself.
What?
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 14:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

With two possible exceptions ("unsigned" and "prog tribute bands") every section in the main Progressive Music Lounges (including "Prog News, Press Releases") is related to bands and artists listed the Progressive Archves.

Everybody wants their latest project or latest release on the front page, but unless you are an artist listed in the archives it isn't going to happen.

If you don't agree with that, then I'm sure you will find other websites and forums were you can promote yourself.

Well, my band is listed. But this is not a release by my band per se, just one that we contributed a track to (that's obviously the nature of a compilation). Now what? Does the whole thing need to meet some quota of PA-featured bands to be considered newsworthy? Can I look this stuff up somewhere?

See, when I can't even post an actual press release in the Press Releases forum without having it deleted, I am pretty sure it's not me doing something wrong.

I know artists who have fake accounts all over the net to avoid this kind of problem. I think it's pathetic in a way, but I now realize they actually have a good reason to do that. Because anyone not directly involved in the project could've posted about this thing in the Recommendations forum without having it moved to a place that nobody reads. This distinction does nothing but punish the musically creative or force them to participate incognito, none of which strikes me as healthy for a music forum.

Edited by Kyo - December 26 2010 at 14:20

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 16:05
This is a prog site Kyo. We have to draw the line somewhere, so the distinction we use is that if a band is listed on our site, they are considered prog and are discussed in prog sections. If we did not enforce such rules, sections such as the Prog News and press releases would be overrun with posts about anything and everything. Of course, everyone thinks their project is more important than everyone else's, and that they should therefore be some sort of exception. At the end of the day though, our members expect to read prog news in the prog new section.

Other projects, such as yours are welcome to be promoted, but in the appropriate sections. You could perhaps be a little more grateful for the free publicity you are being afforded here. I'm sure M@x would be happy to sell you some advertising space too, if you wish to gain a higher profile for your project.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, I suggest you do so by PM to myself or Dean (or M@x for advertising rates).
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 17:44
I see Bad Salad in the track listing Big smile

Downloading now!
Kyo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 19:41
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

This is a prog site Kyo. We have to draw the line somewhere, so the distinction we use is that if a band is listed on our site, they are considered prog and are discussed in prog sections.
(...)
Of course, everyone thinks their project is more important than everyone else's, and that they should therefore be some sort of exception. At the end of the day though, our members expect to read prog news in the prog new section.

EDIT: I didn't get what you were saying the first time I read it -  let's try this again:

Well, Andyman1125 seems to have added the album to the site now. Does that change things?

Quote If we did not enforce such rules, sections such as the Prog News and press releases would be overrun with posts about anything and everything.

This press release made the headlines over at Blabbermouth, a much larger site with no particular focus on prog. I find it pretty astonishing that it was considered less relevant by a prog-specific website like PA.

Quote Other projects, such as yours are welcome to be promoted, but in the appropriate sections. You could perhaps be a little more grateful for the free publicity you are being afforded here.

I contributed a nice press release via the regular channels, thus contributing quality content to your news section just the way it is meant to happen (unless I am *very* confused about something here). It seems nobody was particularly grateful for that content because it was simply deleted. And now you are accusing *me* of being ungrateful?

Quote I'm sure M@x would be happy to sell you some advertising space too, if you wish to gain a higher profile for your project.

With all due respect, the idea that a very casual collective of indie artists would get together and actually pay money to have a *FREE* tribute project advertised strikes me as absurd. If you don't want it featured on your site, that'll just have to be it, I'm afraid. There are certainly projects where it makes sense and we have considered booking some ads for our own band eventually, but that's a very different situation.

Edited by Kyo - December 27 2010 at 19:54

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>