Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedÄnglagård plan new release for 2011!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 05:05
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Excellent news! Imitators like Wobbler have never done much for me, but something new from Anglagard themselves would certainly be welcome!

Ironic, since this lousy derivative band does nothing but imitate 70s prog LOL

I know I shouldn't bother feeding the troll, but f**k it, here goes...

I've never understood these kinds of lazy accusations which everyone seems to trot out the moment someone mentions Anglagard. If we were talking about The Flower Kings or other such 90s/00s bands who seem to think any song can be improved by stretching it out to twenty minutes with a few superfluous keyboard solos and sandwiching a completely different song in the middle then I'd be in agreement; bands like that really are just going over old ground.

But Anglagard, though 'retro' in mindset, actually did something new. Yes, they lay the mellotron on with a trowel, yes, you can hear echoes of Crimson at times (but you could say the same of 100s of other bands, all of them making unique and valid music) but to my ears Anglagard carved out a niche which was very much their own (until bands like Wobbler came along). Point me in the direction of ANY 70s band that produced music which sounded exactly, or at least pretty similar to that of Anglagard's and I'll admit defeat on this issue, but until then I shall continue to defend them against accusations of unoriginality.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 06:34

Excellent news! Imitators like Wobbler have never done much for me, but something new from Anglagard themselves would certainly be welcome!

I've never understood these kinds of lazy accusations which everyone seems to trot out the moment someone mentions Anglagard. If we were talking about The Flower Kings or other such 90s/00s bands who seem to think any song can be improved by stretching it out to twenty minutes with a few superfluous keyboard solos and sandwiching a completely different song in the middle then I'd be in agreement; bands like that really are just going over old ground.

But Anglagard, though 'retro' in mindset, actually did something new. Yes, they lay the mellotron on with a trowel, yes, you can hear echoes of Crimson at times (but you could say the same of 100s of other bands, all of them making unique and valid music) but to my ears Anglagard carved out a niche which was very much their own (until bands like Wobbler came along). Point me in the direction of ANY 70s band that produced music which sounded exactly, or at least pretty similar to that of Anglagard's and I'll admit defeat on this issue, but until then I shall continue to defend them against accusations of unoriginality.
Anglagard have been original in their way of taking the influence of the 70's band to create their own sound. And their sound is not the same as any specific bands. The choice of using the same instruments of the 70's bands just give to their music a beautiful sound that is still enjoyable 40 years later.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 06:37
Even if Anglagard were heavily inspired by past's greatest, I would NEVER mistake their sound if I heard the a bit of their music without being told who's playing. It's unique. 
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 08:04

I wouldn't bash the Flower Kings on that basis because the main composition hub of the band is Rione Stolt and the guy is in the prog scene since the 70's, so accusing him of sounding like the 70's and saying that it is a bad thing is the same as saying that Yes' recent albums are bad because they sound like Yes. It is one thing being around 20 and making music like they did 40 years ago and it is another being around 50 and making music similarly as you did when you were younger.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 11:26

In a recent thread, I made a New Year's Resolution to completely ignore the crap Walter comes out with. Maybe all of us should do the sameLOL

I am really looking forward to the new album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 03:24
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

In a recent thread, I made a New Year's Resolution to completely ignore the crap Walter comes out with. Maybe all of us should do the sameLOL

I am really looking forward to the new album.
best policy is to ignore him otherwise the thread becomes about him which is obviously what he wantsEmbarrassed
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 16:59
Re, best policy is to ignore him otherwise the thread becomes about him which is obviously what he wantsEmbarrassed

- good advice, and also applicable to apply to a number of those who state opinions on other websites as well, especially the arrogant indignant ones who can't take opinions they don't agree with.

Hopefully, given the legendary cult status of Anglagard will result in them signing with a label with half decent distribution (no major label that would try and make them radio friendly), and result in their previous recordings being made available again in reasonable numbers
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 17:15
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I wouldn't bash the Flower Kings on that basis because the main composition hub of the band is Rione Stolt and the guy is in the prog scene since the 70's, so accusing him of sounding like the 70's and saying that it is a bad thing is the same as saying that Yes' recent albums are bad because they sound like Yes. It is one thing being around 20 and making music like they did 40 years ago and it is another being around 50 and making music similarly as you did when you were younger.

Bravo! Reason prevails against the defenders of post-89 thieves.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 17:36

Many people don't realize this about Roine. I think that he is one of the greatest composers and guitarists ever. But hater's certainly are gonna hate (I don't understand why).
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 17:41

Still curious about the "89" Walter dogma.
Is it because you still want to include a certain 89 album that you like or is it just a random thing that sounds cool to you but that is totally ridiculous for anyone else?

Edited by Bonnek - December 29 2010 at 17:42
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 19:15
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Still curious about the "89" Walter dogma.
Is it because you still want to include a certain 89 album that you like or is it just a random thing that sounds cool to you but that is totally ridiculous for anyone else?

Could it be that 89 was the year that Clutching at straws was released or maybe the year he was born? I also have absolutely no idea why he goes on and on about it. He's a troll IMO.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 03:00

Bravo! Reason prevails against the defenders of post-89 thieves.

So wait, Roine Stolt and the Flower Kings are allowed to be derivative because he started making music before 1989? How is that any different than Anglagard doing the same thing (and much more effectively, IMO) in a different time period?
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 17:38

I hope that's not a plan but a reality. Clap

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:11
Yet another thread where people actually respond to Walter.

Thread failed. Abort.
Mr.Singularitarian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 16:50
well, i'm relatively new here, and i have to say that since i discovered progarchives and started reading threads i've always wondered if he was raped or something in 1989... otherwise i smile at such pseudo-rational, close-minded, dogmatic... i dont know... "chronophobic" arrongance

anyway, this is really marvellous news: i'm already enjoying very much this year's music, and i've got high hopes for what is yet to come! also, i probably would have never known Anglagard and other bands i'm loving if it wasn't for this website: so, despite what i said before, i find it a great place
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 16:53
He was born in 89, I believe.
Mr.Singularitarian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 17:22
so he believes there's a cause-effect relation between his birth and music becoming crap?
Kallabow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 13:11
Great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12