Topic ClosedEchoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Echoes
    Posted: December 28 2010 at 08:19

Echoes is a prog metal band from Venezuela which has created a lot of interest among the prog metal fans with their debut album Nature/Existence from earlier this year.

They are signed to ProgRock Records and I got in touch with them for their story.

###########################################

Let's start with the beginning: Has any of you been involved in any other bands before you joined up in Echoes, which bands were you influenced by and why did you choose that name ?

We've all been involved in projects before Echoes, but none of them has done enough to be worth of mention: most of them were cover bands. As for our influences, they are very broad since we all have very different backgrounds but we can all say that some our biggest influences are traditional Venezuelan music, classical music and just to name some bands: Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ABBA, Porcupine Tree, ISIS, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, and so many more.

You are from and lives in Venezuela. How is the music scene in Venezuela these days ?

The music scene in Venezuela is quite big, and the progressive rock scene is growing every day; there are a lot of new bands coming out and a plenty of musicians trying to push new projects out there, which is great. There's still a lot of room for growth since Venezuela is a tropical country and people like to party all the time and progressive rock is not the most 'party inclined' kind of music.

Let's go straight to your debut album Nature/Existence from earlier this year (2010) who is riding high on the top 20 list of this years best albums. Please tell us more about this album.

It took us about four years to get it done, mainly because we didn't know anything about doing an album when we started and even though we had most of the music written when we started recording, the production process took a while since we rewrote a lot of the material we had and rearranged it to fit the concept we were working on, since it is a concept album about love, life and how they are both cyclical in nature, which is the reason there are plenty of recurring themes hidden in the music and the words.

How did you get a deal with ProgRock Records ?

Once the album was completely done for release we contacted their president, Shawn Gordon, and showed it to him to see what he thought of it and he liked it a lot and offered us a great deal to get the album out.

How is the creative processes in your band from coming up with an idea to it's being recorded ?

Since we almost never write music together, it's usually one of us recording an idea, it can be a couple of bars, a little riff or even a full song structure, and sending it to the others to see what they think. Once that's done, we start bouncing stuff off each other and adding or taking away from it in order to build something meaningful to all of us.

For those of us unknown with your music; how would you describe you music and which bands would you compare yourself with ?

We can say that our music is progressive metal that cares about the songs more than about the musicians that play them. It's progressive metal influenced by industrial electronica, folk music, extreme metal and a lot of pop that doesn't worry about playing lots of notes and showing off instrumental abilities.
About comparing ourselves with bands, it's something we hate doing, since everyone always hears something different, but you can certainly hear some Pink Floyd, some Genesis, a little bit of Porcupine Tree and some Pain of Salvation too. I think we can also compare our stuff to some of Opeth's stuff without the screaming.

What is your plans for 2011 and beyond ?

Right now our main thing is finish writing our second album so we can go in the studio sometime mid 2011 and have the album out by 2012, let's see if we manage to fill our self imposed deadlines. Besides the album, we're also trying to find dates to play some concerts in and out of Venezuela, especially line up some festival dates abroad.

To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?

Thanks a lot for sending this over, we've followed ProgArchives.com way before we started with Echoes and it's actually one of the places where we found out about a lot of the bands we now love, so thank you very much for having that site running and for supporting music and musicians.

Thank you to Echoes for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage here

Please also note that their new single Nel Cerchio di Luce is a free download from here

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - December 28 2010 at 09:37
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 16:36
Cool, in fact earlier today I reviewed their single, I am interested in this band. Congrats!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 17:45
I'm not much of a prog metal hand, but i like what I've heard of these guys. The album is in my amazon shopping basket. 
 Post Reply Post Reply