Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs by non-prog bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog songs by non-prog bands
    Posted: December 29 2010 at 18:40

Had an idea for a thread where you can recommend a song that you think would appeal to proggers, by bands that might not be on most proggers' radar.

I'll start with "Les Brers in A Minor", an instrumental by Southern blues-rockers The Allman Brothers Band.  The first 3 minutes or so are about as avant-garde as a mainstream rock act ever got.  We follow that with a Squire-worthy bass line, some Hammond organ and a drum solo.  This was recorded after Duane Allman died, so all the guitar in this one is by Dickey Betts.  Hope some of you 70s proggers like this one.

WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WyattEarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 18:51
Here's a couple Fly like a Eagle,Wild Mountain Honey and Winter Time by The Steve Miller Band
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnderEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 19:31
Originally posted by WyattEarp WyattEarp wrote:

Here's a couple Fly like a Eagle,Wild Mountain Honey and Winter Time by The Steve Miller Band

I know these, but not sure they're all that proggy...

In the late 60's/Early 70's there was a wonderful blur between the rock genres, so that the likes of Elton John would offer some wonderfully  proggy pieces (e.g., Madman Across the Water, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding), as did The Grateful Dead (Terrapin Station), and even the Stones (Can't you Hear me Knockin'). Over in folk/rockdom, Cat Stevens, CSNY, and Loggins & Messina did some great proggy "suites".
--EnderEd
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 20:01

I liked Wild Mountain Honey a lot.  I was never a fan of Miller's hits, so I never would've found that on my own.  This is what I had in mind, thanks.
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 20:04
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

I know these, but not sure they're all that proggy...

In the late 60's/Early 70's there was a wonderful blur between the rock genres, so that the likes of Elton John would offer some wonderfully  proggy pieces (e.g., Madman Across the Water, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding), as did The Grateful Dead (Terrapin Station), and even the Stones (Can't you Hear me Knockin'). Over in folk/rockdom, Cat Stevens, CSNY, and Loggins & Messina did some great proggy "suites".
True, "Judy Blue Eyes" comes to mind.
Speaking of the Stones, the LP "Their Satanic Majesties Request" might be of interest to some of us.  It was their attempt at Sgt Pepper-esque psychedelia, and they never made another album like it.
foltzkr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foltzkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 20:28
While I certainly enjoy 70's prog, here are some songs that might interest some fellow younger proggers out there.

Ben Folds is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine but I believe he has some songs that come pretty close to crossing into prog. Check out "Your Dogs," "Saskia Hamilton," "All U Can Eat," or "Adelaide." Another current band, not like Ben Folds at all, that I believe crosses into prog at times is HORSE the Band ("A Million Exploding Suns" "Golden Mummy Golden Bird").

As for older material, I think KISS' "Music from 'The Elder'" has some prog worthy material. And how can we forget about Edgar Winter Group's 'Frankenstein'? That's all I can think of for the moment. Very interesting post and I enjoyed the ABB song quite a bit.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 21:09
[/QUOTE]
Speaking of the Stones, the LP "Their Satanic Majesties Request" might be of interest to some of us.  It was their attempt at Sgt Pepper-esque psychedelia, and they never made another album like it.
[/QUOTE]

It's the only Stones album the I owe, and a very proggy one it is.
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 22:03
Here's another instrumental, "Castle Rock" by '70s country-rockers Barefoot Jerry.  Some Wakeman-esque synths, and I think I hear some glockenspiel or vibraphone or something in there as well.  If you like this, check out "Cades Cove" or "Ebenezer" in the related videos.

ps--They also recorded a song called "Hero Frodo" but I can't find a link for that one.  That one's pretty cheesy, anyway.

Mr Lemonhog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lemonhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 22:32
Night of the swallow -Kate Bush (she always had a proggy side to her)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-K98zomUZ0&feature=player_detailpage
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrEdifus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 22:37
The Allman Brothers were pretty progressive for a Southern blues-rock band anyway. Mountain Jam also comes to mind, as well as In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. (Check out the Fillmore Concerts version of both. Check out the whole live album while you're at it.)

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 00:24
"Faith Healer" by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Edited by BaldJean - September 06 2017 at 08:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Bassist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 00:32
This thread definitely gets the Prog_Bassist seal of approval! Tongue

I guess you could call it more of a fusion side of things, but I always thought "Contusion" by Stevie Wonder was proggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5q7BzpEe4

Also, another proggy tune I'd have to say would be Aja by Steely Dan! epic tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaNt5S9pibQ

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 00:33
Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

The Allman Brothers were pretty progressive for a Southern blues-rock band anyway. Mountain Jam also comes to mind, as well as In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. (Check out the Fillmore Concerts version of both. Check out the whole live album while you're at it.)

Also, 'Jessica'. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 00:36
Originally posted by Prog_Bassist Prog_Bassist wrote:

Also, another proggy tune I'd have to say would be Aja by Steely Dan! epic tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaNt5S9pibQ

Oh yes! Anyone who doubts Steely Dan's prog-ness needs to listen to this track. 

Edit: That Stevie Wonder track was cool.

Edited by irrelevant - December 30 2010 at 00:45
InClouds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InClouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 01:41
I've always thought that Ambrosia's "Drink of Water" was a bit proggy.  

"Child in Time" by Deep Purple and "Achilles Last Stand" by Led Zeppelin also come to mind.

These are all prog-related bands though, so it's nothing too surprising.  I'll have to think of some more.

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 06:19
^Agree whole heartedly on Achilles Last Stand-good song!

A few from me-Bruce Coburn's Tibetan Side of Town is rather proggy-long, interesting time signature, interesting arrangement. Also, two tracks by The Dooby Brothers from their Captain and Me album come to mind-Clear as the Driven Snow and The Captain and Me. Both have a definite prog feel and structure to them, very different from the rock and pop-rock the Doobies usually produced.
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 09:53
Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

Yes, and their '90s lineup had a few good ones as well.  Look for "True Gravity" or "Kind of Bird". 
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 09:59
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

^Agree whole heartedly on Achilles Last Stand-good song!

A few from me-Bruce Coburn's Tibetan Side of Town is rather proggy-long, interesting time signature, interesting arrangement. Also, two tracks by The Dooby Brothers from their Captain and Me album come to mind-Clear as the Driven Snow and The Captain and Me. Both have a definite prog feel and structure to them, very different from the rock and pop-rock the Doobies usually produced.
I was also going to mention the Doobie Brothers.  Every album had at least one "weird" Pat Simmons song.  Besides the ones you mentioned, I'd also include "Daughters of the Sea" or "I Cheat the Hangman".

topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 10:32
Width Of a Circle by David Bowie is the obvious one for me
Juan Carlos de Mulde View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juan Carlos de Mulde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 13:38

with a jazz attitude too. Liquid Tension Experiment reminds me on this....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>