Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs by non-prog bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 13:40
Originally posted by Renfield Renfield wrote:

Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

^Agree whole heartedly on Achilles Last Stand-good song!

A few from me-Bruce Coburn's Tibetan Side of Town is rather proggy-long, interesting time signature, interesting arrangement. Also, two tracks by The Dooby Brothers from their Captain and Me album come to mind-Clear as the Driven Snow and The Captain and Me. Both have a definite prog feel and structure to them, very different from the rock and pop-rock the Doobies usually produced.
I was also going to mention the Doobie Brothers.  Every album had at least one "weird" Pat Simmons song.  Besides the ones you mentioned, I'd also include "Daughters of the Sea" or "I Cheat the Hangman".

Nice, I will have to check out these "weird" Pat Simmons songs. Thanks for the links! Big smile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 14:01
Someone starts a "prog songs/albums by non-prog bands" once a week Sleepy
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 05:55
"Metal contra as nuvens", from the brazilian band Legião Urbana.
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Dalex_61 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalex_61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 09:41
...what about Geateful Dead's "Terrapin Station Part 1"?
You'll find it in Youtube, but unfortunately they split it up in two parts.
Well... it's a suite, after all!

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:38
Grand Funk Railroad's "Railroad" song is very proggy (IMO). I think many of bands that you listed before are in Prog Rock category (like Deep Purple) and these kind of bands aren't non-Prog. Is it correct?!
PlumAplomb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlumAplomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 08:49
i have a bunch of songs that sound prog to me (i literally jsut made a post about Bad Religion's Into the Unknown) for now i'll just mention "Clover Over Dover" by Blur -they're british, the song is symphonic yumminess, there are even seagulls in the beginning, lol. when i was first getting into prog, i wondered why al the seagulls, maybe i jsut listened to snow goose too many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bdb-sKRcE

Edited by PlumAplomb - January 03 2011 at 08:51
PlumAplomb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlumAplomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 09:00
here's another seagull  song Emilie Autumn - shalott, more classical music though i guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXdNaXYysk

and Bent a band from nottingham - they are an electronica band, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkDEmFfpKjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZljGoxxfKs clan of xymox

i jsut happen to be going through all my music today so im sure ill be editing again

Edited by PlumAplomb - January 03 2011 at 10:58
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 14:36
Not prog as such, but I absolutely love Lou Reed's Rock'n'Roll Animal, terrific guitar work by Steve Hunter, even Lou himself seems to play much above his capabilities as a guitar player, and the bass and drums are also fantastic.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 14:39
Originally posted by PlumAplomb PlumAplomb wrote:

i have a bunch of songs that sound prog to me (i literally jsut made a post about Bad Religion's Into the Unknown) for now i'll just mention "Clover Over Dover" by Blur -they're british, the song is symphonic yumminess, there are even seagulls in the beginning, lol. when i was first getting into prog, i wondered why al the seagulls, maybe i jsut listened to snow goose too many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bdb-sKRcE

Interesting post. Blur also did The Universal, which is so prog it's unbelievable.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 14:53
How about all of those prog songs on early Genesis albums? Tongue
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 01:02
Reading this I just remembered a track my ABBA loving sister and mother hated. Intermezzo - (more ELP than anything...)  ABBA and one I liked, Eagle. Regrettably I would have to take the drugs necessary - or find a copy of Abba The Album - whichever, but I vaguely recall that's when their music got serious. Oh yes, Mike Oldfield did a cover of Arrival. Interesting that pop groups do insytrumental tunes. (Yes, I know pop might have snooty connotations coming like this but ... it wasn't usual.

Mind you most prog type pop groups didn't do many purely instrumental pieces. Just those long bits in between choruses on Karn Evil 9...Tongue Wink (yes, folks I am a having some fun. In a good mood for once...)

Just playing some Nazareth at the moment... Please Don't Judas Me... prog type number and the remastered Hair Of The Dog kills.
The Tourist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tourist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 03:25
I agree with Achilles Last Stand. Always thought it was the most progressive thing Led Zep have done.

Maybe Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group. 
WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WyattEarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:16
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

The Allman Brothers were pretty progressive for a Southern blues-rock band anyway. Mountain Jam also comes to mind, as well as In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. (Check out the Fillmore Concerts version of both. Check out the whole live album while you're at it.)

Also, 'Jessica'. 

Another one by the Allman Brothers"High Falls"
A very beautiful pieceSmile
WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WyattEarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:30
Originally posted by Dalex_61 Dalex_61 wrote:

...what about Geateful Dead's "Terrapin Station Part 1"?
You'll find it in Youtube, but unfortunately they split it up in two parts.
Well... it's a suite, after all!

Also "Fire on the Mountain"by Grateful Dead

Speaking of which,The Tour of a lifetime The Grateful Dead with Jerry Garcia touring with Gong with Daevid Allen,Gilli Smyth,and Steve Hillage on that Spacey Guitar.

The Deadheads meet Planet Gong.

Could you imagine the out-of-this-world Jams togather.

The Dead would be Jamming with Gong on songs"Flying Teapot,Isle of Everywhere,Glorious Om Riff.

Then

Gong would be Jamming with the Dead on songs like"Trucking"Turn on your Lovelight","Fire on the Mountain",Playing in the Band"

With Gilli Smyth's Psychedelic Whispering Voice

The Dream Tour of a LifetimeStar
WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WyattEarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:35
Here's a couple of other songs by non-prog bands
*Who's behind the Door by Zebra
*Last Chance by Shooting Star
WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WyattEarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

Originally posted by WyattEarp WyattEarp wrote:

Here's a couple Fly like a Eagle,Wild Mountain Honey and Winter Time by The Steve Miller Band

I know these, but not sure they're all that proggy...

In the late 60's/Early 70's there was a wonderful blur between the rock genres, so that the likes of Elton John would offer some wonderfully  proggy pieces (e.g., Madman Across the Water, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding), as did The Grateful Dead (Terrapin Station), and even the Stones (Can't you Hear me Knockin'). Over in folk/rockdom, Cat Stevens, CSNY, and Loggins & Messina did some great proggy "suites".
Great point,but until i came to discover the Prog/Art Rock Genre.
Both of those songs took me to places beyond ordinary and l vison the pictures of what the songs are conveying.
Like when i got into Styx and Kansas(Both my 1st prog groups i got into)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 20:11
I think this one fits the bill.  Got me to buy the album way back when and I got the CD release not too long ago:

Oh here's what appears to be an original video:

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 06 2011 at 20:13
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

XTChuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XTChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 10:02
I think a lot of British rock bands in the early to mid 70's had their prog moments - here's just a few that come to mind

Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect, Sabra Cadabra, Megalomaina
Deep Purple - Fools, Child in Time
Led Zeppelin - No Quarter, The Rain Song, a good chunk of the Physical Grafitti LP and later on Achilles Last Stand, Caroselambra
Uriah Heep - Paradise/The Spell, July Morning

If I had more time, I'd probably come up with about a hundred good examples

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:06
Well I'll put in the usual one I highlilght in each one of these threads , the splendid "Weekender" by Flowered Up

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:09

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>