Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs by non-prog bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:12
Magazine - Definitive Gaze

Back to Nature

Edited by Snow Dog - January 07 2011 at 11:13
PlumAplomb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlumAplomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 08:10
the beginning of 'pussy strut' the waitresses (i keep finding stuff!) i also figure i don't have to mention the album 'origin of symmetry' by muse do i?

also, since i'm watching it right now (one of my absolute favorite since it came out when i was a kid) the Ladyhawke soundtrack:

The film's score was composed by Andrew Powell and produced by Alan Parsons. Richard Donner stated that he was listening to The Alan Parsons Project (on which Powell collaborated) while scouting for locations, and became unable to separate his visual ideas from the music. Powell combined traditional orchestral music and Gregorian chants with contemporary progressive rock-infused material, to controversial effect. It has been cited as the most memorable example of the growing trend among 1980s fantasy films of abandoning the lush orchestral scores of composers such as John Williams and James Horner in favour of a modern pop/rock sound.[1] The soundtrack album was released in 1985 and re-released with additional tracks in 1995.

just read that too.

Edited by PlumAplomb - January 21 2011 at 08:14
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 16:55
The Pumpkins IMO should be in PA; they have so many prog characteristics.There pretty much as prog as you can get with out being PROG.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:52
I wasn't expecting this in a Bread song, the middle part that is: 

truedefiance View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truedefiance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 19:50

Maybe not technichly prog, but still a amazing song.
Broken teeth, a shattered jaw
Ten to one, behold my God
Wicked sons of Heaven’s loss
Raise your own inverted cross

Storm the Gates of Hell-Demon Hunter

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 19:05
Five Man Electrical Band. Their big hit was Signs, but the title track from their second album “Coming of Age” is somewhat proggy.

Midnight Oil. The opening track on their first, self-titled album, Surfing With a Spoon. Apparently some of their members were in a prog band previously.

Neil Young. No less than three tracks from “Harvest” lean in that direction: There’s a World, A Man Needs a Maid, and Words (Between the Lines of Age). The first I heard Mother Russia by Renaissance the riff in the chorus reminded me of the one in There’s a World. Most of his music is relatively simple, but these three songs are surprisingly complex for those more familiar with most of his later material, making ample use of shifting time signatures.

Some of Neil’s songs with Buffalo Springfield did the same, esp. Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing and Broken Arrow. A portion of the latter was incorporated into Country Girl, on CSNY’s “Déjà Vu.”

Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

The Allman Brothers were pretty progressive for a Southern blues-rock band anyway. Mountain Jam also comes to mind, as well as In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. (Check out the Fillmore Concerts version of both. Check out the whole live album while you're at it.)

Play Elizabeth Reed and then follow with Lady Fantasy by Camel, which ought to be subtitled E. R. Part 2.

Edited by AreYouHuman - May 09 2013 at 19:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 23:03
"About Us" by Stories had several cuts that could qualify as prog: Darling, Hey France, Please,Please and Words.

Their hit off this album was Brother Louie, which mislead a lot of people on what they were all about, not unlike Focus with Hocus Pocus. When you play the album and then get to Brother Louie at the end, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by AreYouHuman - May 13 2013 at 23:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 23:11
The Church is already on PA as prog related, but Afterimage, the last track on "Magician Among the Spirits," wouldn't sound out of place on one of Eno's ambient albums or on an Anthony Phillips album.
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolJimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 21:45
"Band on the Run" by McCartney and Wings springs to mind instantly

As does "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Avenged Sevenfold; a full orchestra, jazz leanings, opera stylings, multpiple-part structure, and avant-garde, avant-garde, oh my God AVANT-GARDE!

I'd also put up pretty much anything by System of a Down as being fairly proggy, at the least highly avant and quite artsy. But, "Question!" introduces you quite nicely, and "Aerials" is full-on prog, even more so on the full version:

This is something that interests me immensely, and I would encourage as many as possible to take part in such an intriguing endeavor as this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 21:37
Just listened to Mark O'Connor's "Meanings Of," which has at least two prog-leaning tracks: Court Suite and The Robotic Muso, the former sounding much like the Dixie Dregs, of which he was a member for a year or so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 22:55
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Rude Awakening #2 from "Pendulum."

Alice Cooper - Titanic Overture from their first, "Pretties for You."

Actually, both of those could be classed as Get Out of Here Songs, because that's the reaction you're likely to get when you tell people who they're by.

Actually quite a few by the Alices that are prog-leaning: Halo of Flies, Killer, Second Coming, Unfinished Sweet. And BTW, Peter Gabriel worked with many of the same people on his first album that Alice did after his original band broke up (Steve Hunter, Josef Chirowski, Dick Wagner, Jimmy Maelen, Tony Levin and of course, producer Bob Ezrin).

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 23:42
"China Doll", "Unbroken Chain", "Rosemary", "Mountains of the Moon" : Grateful Dead
"She's a Rainbow" : Rolling Stones
"America", "Save the Life of My Child" : Simon and Garfunkel
"Who Are You?" : Black Sabbath
"Bird of Prey" : Uriah Heep
"The Rain Song" : Led Zep
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 23:59
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Rude Awakening #2 from "Pendulum."

Alice Cooper - Titanic Overture from their first, "Pretties for You."

Actually, both of those could be classed as Get Out of Here Songs, because that's the reaction you're likely to get when you tell people who they're by.

Actually quite a few by the Alices that are prog-leaning: Halo of Flies, Killer, Second Coming, Unfinished Sweet. And BTW, Peter Gabriel worked with many of the same people on his first album that Alice did after his original band broke up (Steve Hunter, Josef Chirowski, Dick Wagner, Jimmy Maelen, Tony Levin and of course, producer Bob Ezrin).

Fantastic post!  You know your Alice!  I always thought "Halo of Flies" was their proggiest, it is a fantastic song!  I saw them perform it live, July 28, 1972: Alice Cooper & Captain Beyond, USA - Amphitheater, Chicago, Illinois... jaw-dropping great show! 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 01:01
The way out is through. --NINE INCH NAILS.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 01:06
Originally posted by truedefiance truedefiance wrote:

Maybe not technichly prog, but still a amazing song.

Yup. Your right. Breaking Benjirman is NOT prog.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 09:14
Didn't list a specific song but I always felt both Ultravox and Echo and the Bunnymen had tracks that seemed progressive to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 18:37
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Fantastic post! You know your Alice! I always thought "Halo of Flies" was their proggiest, it is a fantastic song! I saw them perform it live, July 28, 1972: Alice Cooper & Captain Beyond, USA - Amphitheater, Chicago, Illinois... jaw-dropping great show!
In my high school days (1972-1976), seemingly everybody listened to Alice Cooper, the “cool” kids and not-so alike. They did a lot of concerts in west Michigan though I never saw them. Great purveyors of rock theater, as much as Genesis with Pete.
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Didn't list a specific song but I always felt both Ultravox and Echo and the Bunnymen had tracks that seemed progressive to me.
Thanks for the reminder. The first time I heard Visions in Blue by Ultravox I was reminded of VDGG, especially Still Life. It had a similar feel, I thought, in part because of the quieter sections at beginning and end.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 20:34
I just came here to drop the Alice Cooper Halo of Flies bomb but I see it's already been done and done. Love that song. He has others but that ones my favorite. I do need to check out Prettys for you and Easy Action though. Ive heard bits and I've been surprised. 

I also love the Steven Suite on Welcome to My Nightmare. I'll put pennies on your eyes. Chilling. The CD remaster with the alternate versions of some of the tracks is great.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 20:52

I'm a big fan of The Flaming Lips, and they've been beocming more and more progressive sounding in their most recent releases. This is the single (i believe) from their album released this year. Pretty impressive i think. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 18:23
I find this song by REO Speedwagon to be somewhat Prog-Related.

The Original Lead Vocalist of REO later became the Lead Vocalist of Starcastle if I am correct.

And I also find this Beach Boys song to be sort of Progressive Related as well.

Edited by Jonathan - February 01 2014 at 18:29
"Do not do to others as you don't want done to yourself."- Confucius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>