Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today / #7 Alcest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to the music of today / #7 Alcest
    Posted: December 30 2010 at 03:26
This is the sixth continuation of the #1 thread where I wrote

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It seems to me that there is a certain encouraging amount of interest for new music and albums of 2010 on PA, but people don't follow recommendations unless they come with "all inclusive". I have decided to start a series of recommendation threads for 2010 albums, in which I promote albums that can be fully streamed for FREE on the internet, thus making the sampling as easy and accessible as possible for those interested. There's no excuse for not checking these releases out now!

This time the featured band is ALCEST, an excellent one-man project from France. The music is a great combination of post-metal and shoegaze, with very little extreme moments, which makes it easily digestable and a good introduction to the post-metal aesthetic. Dreamy and cozy...

The full album can be streamed on YouTube, and I'll embed the videos bellow.

| 62 ratings
Écailles de lune

Edited by harmonium.ro - December 30 2010 at 03:27
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 03:28
Écailles de lune
Alcest Experimental/Post Metal

Review by Conor Fynes
Prog Reviewer

4 stars 'Écailles De Lune' - Alcest (8/10)

Throughout post-metal circles, the name of Alcest has been one that is chatted back and forth alot lately. A French one man black metal project that incorperates the starkly mellow and ethereal sounds of shoegaze psychedelia, this band has become one of the more highly regarded bands in the genre, even after only two records produced. With frontman Neige's second effort with this solo project, the sound of Alcest becomes more defined, and what we have with 'Écailles De Lune' is a beautiful piece of emotionally stirring music that carries quite a bit more emotion that your typical heavy metal record.

In a sense, it may be unfair to consider this album 'metal,' the energy generally infused with the genre is sacrificed for a much more introspective sound. While there are maybe one or two sections throughout the album that make liberal use of blastbeats and Neige's high pitched shriek, 'Écailles De Lune' relies very heavily on it's mellowness and quiet beauty. The main focus of the music is on the beautiful textures of the guitar work, and Neige's clean vocal work, which may sound a bit too fragile for some, but works with the emotionally vulnerable mood of the music.

The first half of the album is dominated by the two part title track, 'Écailles De Lune.' While the first two songs here share the same name, they can generally be considered separate compositions. They do, however make up the heaviest and darkest component of 'Écailles De Lune,' and maintain a clear distinction from the rest of the album. The best moments on the album are when Neige takes things to their most mellow and beautiful; the latter half of 'Ecailles De Lune II' and the absolutely blissful closer 'Sur L'Ocean Couleur De Fer' make use of both the tastefully spacy guitarwork and the higher-key vocal work. While the lyrics here are in French and cannot be understand merely from listening, the lyrics have a very poetic resonance to them, and carry well with the ethereal nature of the album.

The album keeps a generally dark, melancholic sound throughout. The only exception to this is the uncharacteristically cheerful and upbeat 'Solar Song,' which is really the only moment on the album that feels out of place, despite it being a decent alternative rocker. Barring that, 'Écailles De Lune' is quite a consistent and enjoyable release. The brooding nature of the music can wear thin at times, but there's no doubt that Neige is a talented and distinguished member of the post-metal scene. A perfect album to listen to at night.

Écailles de lune
Alcest Experimental/Post Metal

Review by EatThatPhonebook
Prog Reviewer

4 stars 4.5 stars really!!!

French Black Metal band Alcest releases in 2010 their second album, most definitely one of the best of the year. Sublime, intriguing, and beautiful, a certainly a black metal masterpiece, quite original and unusual, and with an enigmatic and dreamy touch, which sometimes incarnates into shoegaze.

There aren't too many Black metal growls, in fact only two of these six songs present them, so Experimental Metal seems like the perfect subgenre for Ecailles De Lune. Like I previously said, all the songs are full of enigmatic atmospheres, thanks to the dreamy guitar that gently plays, a perfect nocturnal atmosphere. We also in some moments can find many shoegazing, maybe not as strong and noisy as My Bloody Valentine, but still present.

The title track is divided into two parts, the first one more dreamy and melodic, the second more violent, so it presents growl vocals, even though there is still a big sense of haziness. Percees de Lumiere is my least favorite, kind of strong, even though still the style is the same. after the beautiful interlude, Solar Song kicks in. this is most definitely the song with most shoegazing influences. The melodies is catchy and haunting, the vocals are clean and beautiful, the guitars enigmatic. Fabulous song.

The last track is another wonderful masterpiece. There are no drums in this piece, so you can imagine how calm and relaxing, but at the same time haunting the atmosphere.

In conclusion, an album that really moved me, a must listen for anyone who is interested in black metal or Experimental metal.

Thumbs Up

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 22:57
Really liked this album, I've got to get it. 2010 just slipped away, but I guess in 2011 I DO will get it.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 05:11
Alex,you know my opinion about this band.No comments from me.Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 05:14
I see you rated it Clap Good, as the chart manipulators are trying to bring it down...
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 05:15
Really?Angry
disastercasper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 05:58
Amazing band and an amazing new 2010 album. I really love this band and although I have also listened to similar artists (such as Amesoeurs and Les Discrets), nothing beats Alcest =)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:05
f**kin' brilliant
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 16:22
i love this band. Écailles de Lune is awesome, also their first effort Souvenirs d'un autre monde is a killer 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 16:23
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

i love this band. Écailles de Lune is awesome, also their first effort Souvenirs d'un autre monde is a killer 

Clap
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply